The Red Headed Step Child

This is a discussion on The Red Headed Step Child within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; A couple of thoughts rolling around in an otherwise pretty-much-empty mind: I wonder about the whole "red-headed stepchild" issue, too. I would be interested if ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Red Headed Step Child

A couple of thoughts rolling around in an otherwise pretty-much-empty mind:

I wonder about the whole "red-headed stepchild" issue, too. I would be interested if anyone knows how sales of the Ally are going. If they ship a tremendous number of units, then LG will probably continue to support the phone through its normal life cycle -- which is probably two years, at the most. I did some searching online, but couldn't find anything regard sales by handset model.

It really surprises me how many people have had problems with the VB update. Of course, people with concerns are more likely to post than are people who do not have problems. That having been said: 1) My update went well and performs as advertised (which is to say, very well); and 2) It seems in reading back over various threads relating to the VB update, that many of the folks who have had problems with the update have also rooted their phones. Maybe it's just me, but I think the more you monkey with things, the more they tend to break.

Finally, at this point, I'm concerned that you are correct, Glockman: We might not get FroYo at all. I think it depends in great degree on number of phones sold. If they feel there are numbers to warrant it and the hardware can support it, I would think LG/Google would make every effort to get FroYo out for Ally.

Right now the real red-headed stepchild, in my opinion, is the Droid Eris by HTC. Dropped from Verizon's lineup and won't receive FroYo, period, according to reports online. That's a dead-end handset.

From talking with a verizon associate, they didn't think that the Ally could handle Froyo. He did mention though that LG sent the Froyo info to Verizon for approval and final testing before unrolling it. My only guess as to why we haven't recieved Froyo is because they are worried that customers will be angry if their phone suddenly starts struggling to do anything. Either that or they are waiting to send it out once they fully implement their tiered data plans.

I'm assuming that because the phone seems rather limited in the memory dept, I wouldn't be holding my breath for 2.2.

LG is the ones who have said that we will get 2.2 but they won't commit to a date. I would hope that they wouldn't release a statement like that just to sell some more Allys.
    Motorola Droid 4

With the launch of the Optimus line of phones, I'm thinking that the Ally is probably going to get mothballed. At this point, I'll be shocked if the issues with VZB are fixed.

Oh well, the phone only cost me $30. Guess I just have to deal with it for another 16 months.

I agree with AA here. If LG says that the phone that they built can handle 2.2, then I would think that it could handle it. As far as the memory issue, some of if will be resolved by allowing apps to be saved to SD rather than eating up internal memory as they do now (unbelievably so). I would hope that they would not make a statement like that essentially promising the update to their customers, and then back out. I would certainly hope that Verizon would not prevent their customers from getting the update that has been promised them either. I know that partially untrue statements are made all the time for a variety of reasons, but the statement that LG made about the update would either have to be all true or all lie, and I certainly hope they would not purposefully deceive customers and potential customers that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    From talking with a verizon associate, they didn't think that the Ally could handle Froyo. He did mention though that LG sent the Froyo info to Verizon for approval and final testing before unrolling it. My only guess as to why we haven't recieved Froyo is because they are worried that customers will be angry if their phone suddenly starts struggling to do anything. Either that or they are waiting to send it out once they fully implement their tiered data plans.

Verizon employees are notorious for not knowing a damn thing about the stuff they sell. If you have questions about the hardware come to the forums for answers.

The Ally is FASTER (by 50 mhz) than and has the same amount of ram and rom as a phone that already has FroYo; the original Motorola Droid. On top of that FroYo actually increases system performance so its a moot point.

I would not be surprised if Verizon was sitting on our FroYo because they do test the software before the roll it out which is a good thing. (this is also where they install all the vzw crap and third party crapware to the image as well) I am guessing the 2.2 kernel and rom is ready but they still have to "fix" it up with all their garbage apps and make sure it works before its rolled out to people and breaks their phones worse than the last incremental update.

Lastly, Verizon does not want roll out FroYo for the Ally simply because is makes the lower cost phone more attractive than their top tier phones (the 'droid' line). The want to move the higher end phones because it means more revenue for them (they dont have to subsidize the price of the phone by selling you service and features). My Ally running the optimized kernel and rom below runs just as fast as my friends Droid2 (9 mflops on my ally to 12 on his Droid2). The Droid2 is really the only compelling competitor to the Ally imo (full keyboard is a must for me) and if when people use it in the store if it runs as well they sell less Droid2s which is their flagship phone. I really feel like vzw did something to the Ally rom to make it run slower and be less attractive.

@AndoidAlly:

The best way to show LG and Verizon that you wont take their crap is to just go ahead and install Velocity .3, GNM Turbo, and use a custom Launcher. You will get the apps to SD, most of the speed of 2.2 (JIT compiler optimizations), and you wont have to deal the stuff that doesn't work due to the latest update. The time without a signal bug is fixed as well.

The donate some money to dres and trident for their time and work and they will port 2.2 for us before VZW gets around to it.

BTW I started Android Developing a few weeks ago thanks for your tutorials.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse153 View Post
    @AndoidAlly:

The best way to show LG and Verizon that you wont take their crap is to just go ahead and install Velocity .3, GNM Turbo, and use a custom Launcher. You will get the apps to SD, most of the speed of 2.2 (JIT compiler optimizations), and you wont have to deal the stuff that doesn't work due to the latest update. The time without a signal bug is fixed as well.

The donate some money to dres and trident for their time and work and they will port 2.2 for us before VZW gets around to it.

If we don't get 2.2 by the time my 1 year is up, I plan on rooting it and installing a ROM. That way if I brick it, I can get me a new phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse153 View Post
    BTW I started Android Developing a few weeks ago thanks for your tutorials.

I am glad that someone has gotten some use out of them. I have an idea for another tutorial but I have had no time to do any development for several weeks.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    LG is the ones who have said that we will get 2.2 but they won't commit to a date. I would hope that they wouldn't release a statement like that just to sell some more Allys.

I believe they would. It's called marketing and capitalism.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    I am glad that someone has gotten some use out of them. I have an idea for another tutorial but I have had no time to do any development for several weeks.

Where is your tutorial AA?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links