The Red Headed Step Child

This is a discussion on The Red Headed Step Child within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; I am beginning to feel like the proverbial red headed step child. I went to LG's forum tonight to check on if they had come ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Red Headed Step Child

I am beginning to feel like the proverbial red headed step child. I went to LG's forum tonight to check on if they had come up with an answer for the apps that quit working after a reboot.

Here is their answer:

"Sorry about the Issues you are seeing... if your Apps keep disappearing after a restart, then I think the next thing to try would be a Master Reset and then reinstall.... I have seen Resetting the Ally resolve this for other Users. I know this is inconvenient, and just a pain, but it's the only thing I've seen that clears up issues left behind by Ver 8.... The only other solution would be to contact LG or Verizon support about replacing the phone..I have reported this issue to Development and I will follow up with them,"

This was after I had already posted saying that I did do a Factory Reset and that any protected app still quit working after a reboot.

Here is my first post:

"We have discovered an issue that happens after the upgrade but I am not sure if it is a result of the Android software or the individual apps. When I received my upgrade, I immediately did a Factory Reset after I got it to start with a clean slate. I then re-installed all of my apps. I did not have any issues after doing this. A few others tried this and they were having issues, they would re-install their apps and after a reboot the apps would no longer get and they would get a Force Close error. I dug into it a little and found out that this happens when the app is "Protected". To test it, I downloaded Paypal Mobile and installed it on my Ally. I then logged in and made sure that it was working then I rebooted. When the phone came back on, The Paypal icon was the default app icon and the app would not run."

Here was my last post:

"Are you serious? Did you not read my post? I did a master reset and any protected app still stops working after a reboot. I agree that this is unacceptable. LG needs to fix this issue and they need to fix it ASAP. I am beginning to think that LG doesn't care about any of their customers that bought the LG Ally. I have promoted the phone from the beginning (www.allyandroid.com) because I think it is a good phone but if the software isn't going to work the phone is useless. We are tired of excuses and promises. This needs to be fixed and it needs to be fixed now. Either that or they need to release 2.2 instead of promising it to us and then never delivering.."

Sorry for raving.

Motorola Droid 4

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I've experimented with other apps from the same maker as those that are "protected" even though the Apps are free. TV.com and CBSNews, for example. Both by CBS Interactive Inc. Both react the unfortunate way. But the weird thing is that overnight with these Apps installed I experienced my first non-initiated restart. I chose to remove those Apps responding that way until further word on the issue.

Thank you for advocating for us!

That's why I firmly believe when it comes to techincal devices:'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'. I have yet to apply the latest VZB update because I read about nothing but problems with it and my phone was already working perfectly. So why take the chance to mess it up with an update that by all accounts didn't really improve anything, added more useless apps and created new problems. I'll stick with my rooted v8 that all my apps work on.

As for the red headed stepchild, I guess you could say that, but LG has released two updates for the Ally in just the 4-5 months it's been released. That's not exactly ignoring the phone. Now you could argue that the updates haven't actually helped anything, but they are updates none-the-less.

True Joe, but I would rather them spend the time working on getting us 2.2 than the couple of useless updates we have gotten.

On a brighter note, this makes my 1,000th post.
    Motorola Droid 4

Congrats on the milestone AA!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    True Joe, but I would rather them spend the time working on getting us 2.2 than the couple of useless updates we have gotten.

On a brighter note, this makes my 1,000th post.

Congratulations!!!

As for the update, I've become more frustrated every time I restart the phone. I have grown completely weary of uninstalling and re-installing apps. Even after a reset.

As for 2.2, I'm beginning to think now that, after all the initial hype, we won't be receiving it.

I tend to agree with you guys, usually these types of updates are helpful but this last one was a dud. Some improvements but new issues as well. The very thing they were hoping to do (resolve issues, improve performance) was not very successful. And on top of that, they send crapware to the phones.....enoughs enough. Let us know the stuff is out there, send us a text or email, but C'mon, don't download it to OUR phones.

Yeah, I saw that AA. I'll catch-up to you.....someday...if ya get a new phone....or lose internet access....or go to work for AT&T....

Thanks AA, you've helped 1000's of folks understand the Ally better, and get the best out of it including myself.

Take care my friend, and stay charged-up for another1000

Root and get rid of the useless junk. That's what I did with v8 which might explain why my phone runs so good. I don't have facebook, amazon, corporate calendar, live wallpapers, etc. taking up anymore of my space, precious memory or battery life. When I turn my hone on in the morning, I have over 100mb available memory for running apps. I don't use rooting to do any of the fancy stuff like custom ROMS, but it's great for getting rid of all the crapware they try to force on us with these updates. And if\when 2.2 comes out (which BTW I don't care if I ever get), i'll just unroot the phone, flash it back to v8 full app install and get my 2.2 update. Then i'll root again and remove the crapware.

Quote Originally Posted by Minty View Post
    I tend to agree with you guys, usually these types of updates are helpful but this last one was a dud. Some improvements but new issues as well. The very thing they were hoping to do (resolve issues, improve performance) was not very successful. And on top of that, they send crapware to the phones.....enoughs enough. Let us know the stuff is out there, send us a text or email, but C'mon, don't download it to OUR phones.

Yeah, I saw that AA. I'll catch-up to you.....someday...if ya get a new phone....or lose internet access....or go to work for AT&T....

Thanks AA, you've helped 1000's of folks understand the Ally better, and get the best out of it including myself.

Take care my friend, and stay charged-up for another1000

See, everyone gets angry once in a while, right?

I get a new phone every year so it isn't worth it to me to root the phone. After my year is up, I will root it if I get a new phone and may even root it if I don't.

Motorola Droid 4

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links