android phone reinstalls stock OS if rooted

This is a discussion on android phone reinstalls stock OS if rooted within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; kinda off topic for this forum but this caught my attention about a week back on XDAdevelopers forums about people not being able to root ...

Thread: android phone reinstalls stock OS if rooted

kinda off topic for this forum but this caught my attention about a week back on XDAdevelopers forums about people not being able to root their new T-Mobile G2 Android phone http://gizmodo.com/5...ter-a-jailbreak

It seems that if you "own" a phone you should be able to do whatever you want to it. I was thinking if T-Mobile started this practice it would be surprising imho if Verizon didn't try implementing something similar on some of their future lineup of android phones. I almost waited a couple a weeks to get a Droid X but was turned off by motoblur and eFuse so I got my Ally instead.

I haven't rooted my Ally and really don't plan to unless it becomes evident for whatever reason LG does not give us the 2.2 update and then I will make a decision about rooting my phone. For the people who like the level of control over their phones that rooting gives them might want to pay close attention to this topic and might want to make sure their next android phone purchase does not have one of these microchips installed designed to prohibit rooting of the phone.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

T-mobile will be met with adversity, surely. Here is an article where the Library of Congress gives the exception to jailbreaking/rooting. It is essentially saying it is YOUR phone and you can use it however you want as long as your sharing is legal and the software you use by rooting is not pirated. But then it gets tricky.

Congress ruled on this some time in May 2010, if I remember correctly, but the case was a little different. The case was about jailbreaking the iPhone to be serviced by any provider other than AT&T. Congress decided it is legal to jailbreak the iPhone to go elsewhere for service, essentially because it is YOUR phone.

I'm curious to see how this plays out.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links