Signal Strength Question

This is a discussion on Signal Strength Question within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; I am curious to see what other people get in signal strength on the average. Mine averages between 105dBm and 111dbm in my house. Is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signal Strength Question

Android Jr Member stingrayracing's Avatar
    I am curious to see what other people get in signal strength on the average. Mine averages between 105dBm and 111dbm in my house. Is this good or should it be better? I usually don't have many bars showing but I have read that the bars are not a good measure of signal strength. What range are you guys getting?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Can't answer that one. I have never paid any attention to it. Where are you getting your readings from?

Also, you can dial *228 option 2 to update your PRL. In some cases this has helped signal strength.
    Motorola Droid 4

I get my readings from Settings>About Phone>Status>Signal Strength. I tried the *228 drill a couple different ways and saw no real difference in signal strength. I don't really think the signal strength meter (bars) really is a good indicator of signal strength. I can have no bars showing and get good response on my browser and can make calls. Even though I love the Ally, I think the signal strength sucks over all. My two previous LG phones had better signal strength. If we eventually go to the 2.2 OS would that help the signal response of the Ally?

Ahh, mine is -95 dBm and I have 3 bars.

Motorola Droid 4

That begs another question then. Is a lower number better than a higher number? That is, is -095 dBm better than -110 dBm? What does this all mean??

Mine is at -112 dBm with one bar and my office has a terrible signal. I'm honestly surprised I have one bar right now!

Stingray, I honestly don't know. If I get a chance today, I will try to research it.

There are many things about this phone that seem to work the opposite of what you would expect.
    Motorola Droid 4

I did a little research on the dBm thing. This is a more accurate measure of signal strength than the bars since the bars vary with different phones. To cut through all the technical jargon, the smaller the number the better the signal reception. So a -90 dBm is better than -110 dBm. An optimum signal is in the -70 to -90 dBm range. Anything over -100 is subject to poor reception and dropped calls. Unfortunately, in my house most of the time I have over -100. However, I have not had dropped calls and internet and texting is good. Go figure. Thought this would help out some inquiring minds like me.

Are you using Wi-Fi? I have had zero bars and good response from Apps that require Wi-Fi but no Wi-Fi icon. I assumed this was a lazy Wi-Fi indicator.

There are apps on the market that will show your signal strength in the notification bar. -60 dBm is perfect and -120 means no signal. My apartment is really bad, but I did notice a slightly better signal with the 2.1 update. I guess that's one thing that went right for me with the last update.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links