Don't buy an Ally?

This is a discussion on Don't buy an Ally? within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; I was just about set to buy an LG Ally until I started reading posts related to the most recent Verizon update. It sounds like ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't buy an Ally?

I was just about set to buy an LG Ally until I started reading posts related to the most recent Verizon update.

It sounds like people have some real horror stories. I'm thinking about buying something else now.

About the only apps I would run would be google aps, golf yardage app, weather app. Nothing too unusual.

Should I still consider the LG Ally, or should I perhaps buy an HTC Incredible?

Thanks.

Mike

PS. How in the world did LG ALLY forums pick up my photo for an avatar? I didn't add it in anywhere. I don't care, it's just weird.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

There are still a few issues with the last upgrade and LG is "working on them". The main issue that I have with the last update is that protected apps stop working after each reboot and have to be reinstalled.

If you need a phone with consistant battery life, don't buy the Ally. Unless you want to root and install custom ROMs that many claim will improve the battery life.

If you just want a basic smartphone, the Ally is just as good as any other and usually cost a lot less.

If you want a smartphone with Android 2.2, don't buy the Ally. Although LG promised it to us back in August, we are still waiting for an ETA.
    Motorola Droid 4

Not sure about the Avatar.
    Motorola Droid 4

Android Jr Member stingrayracing's Avatar
    I considered other phones but the Ally does everything I need. I have had no real problems so far other than poorer reception in my house than I expected. However, all the features still work fine. If you are looking for Android 2.2 on the Ally you will be disappointed. I checked with Verizon today and the Ally will not get the 2.2 upgrade; it will stick with 2.1. I have loaded quite a few apps and still have a lot of memory left. The processor is not the fastest out there but it is plenty fast for my uses. I bought the rubberized hard case and it feels better in my hand; a little more grippy. I really like the way you can customize the phone to fit your needs with up to 7 home screens. After reading tons of reviews and posts I don't think any smart phone is going to have a long battery life. Just plan on plugging in the charger each night. Hope this helps in your decision.

I'm not really a phone geek. ( I am a geek however, a camera geek). I just want a phone that does what I want it to do without any hassles. Disappearing apps and apps that mysteriously start themselves are hassles!

As far as the battery goes, I'll have a car charger an office charger (leftovers from Dare) and a home charger. I've yet to read a smart phone review that states "Battery last for days with moderate use".

The LG Vortex is coming out very soon. I was very interested in that until I saw a photo of the home screen. BING and VZ navigator were both on the screen. So it sounds like this phone will be VZ-Binged.

I have had my Ally less than 2 months and I am really enjoying it. It is my first smart phone so I can't speak for other phones. For the most part it works great. Battery will last you all day, phone reception seems average, the keyboard works great, speed of device works fine. cons for me are: The standard email program didn't work after the last update and was a pain to use. I switched to k-9 mail and problem solved. The lack of on phone storage space is a big problem. I like loading all sorts of fun apps on the phone and so I spend a lot of time deleting apps. I have found some larger apps i'd like to try but don't have the room. if android 2.2 comes to us then some of that problem may be solved. Making calls and especially swapping between calls is sometimes difficult. It is very easy to hang up on someone during a call because the end button is also the screen on/off button. I accidentally hang up on someone at least once a week because out of habit I want to turn the screen off or on.

For the most part I really like this phone. It will exceed the needs of most people. I personally think I would be happier with a droid 2 but this phone was free and I choose the need over the want.

If you are on a call, just let the proximity sensor control the screen. To turn the screen on, pull the phone away from your face. To turn it off, move it back towards your face.
    Motorola Droid 4

I love my phone. But if you are a photo geek it may not be for you. There is a small delay and other quirks with the camera (the delay is much better after an update). There are many cool camera apps but our cameras could still be improved; and other Android OS phones can use those Apps too. The best part of the Ally is that it is free (with a 2-year plus data contract). Some are $50 plus rebate of $50. Then it is subjective. Some friends of mine who iPhone are jealous of some things. After poking at theirs, I am glad mine is streamlined for my pocket. The keyboard rocks, too!!

Did I mention I love my phone?

Don't listen to Qasar. He hates his phone.
    Motorola Droid 4

Thanks for all the replies. Is skydroid and google sky going to dissapear everytime I turn off my phone? These are two apps I want to get.

LG Ally get 2.2? I'm not an expert, but I think it won't happen. The Ally is an orphan phone. Gone in March 2011.

My phone camera only needs to be decent for emergencies. Honestly I'd rather punch myself in the face than take photos with a phone!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links