Turn off 3G??

This is a discussion on Turn off 3G?? within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; I have heard others say they have turned off 3G on their phones. How do you do that? Will that save battery? Sorry if this ...

Thread: Turn off 3G??

Android Jr Member stingrayracing's Avatar
    I have heard others say they have turned off 3G on their phones. How do you do that? Will that save battery? Sorry if this has been answered before.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I can think of very very very few reasons to turn off 3G on my phone. I suppose it would save battery, but it would be a trade off on the phone's abilities to work like I want it to.

Go to accounts and sync in the settings and uncheck both boxes. I am not sure if this is the best way, but it should help at least some. There is always airplane mode too, but that shuts the phone part off too.

settings > wireless & networks > mobile networks > network mode > 1x only. If you live in an area with spotty 3G it might help with your battery, but I can't say for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt8866 View Post
    Go to accounts and sync in the settings and uncheck both boxes. I am not sure if this is the best way, but it should help at least some. There is always airplane mode too, but that shuts the phone part off too.

This is not how. Blinky's answer is how, and why. Syncing and 3G are not exclusively related. Syncing can also be done with less than 3G or using WiFi.

Android Jr Member stingrayracing's Avatar
    Thanks for the responses but I figured it out before I got Blinky's post. I did it the way he did it. I found a dramatic improvement in my battery life. I am not saying it is for everyone but so far it sure works for me. I guess I am in an area where the phone struggles to keep a 3G connection and in doing so it eats up a lot of battery. I went down to 1X and my signal strength (bars and meter) improved. Before my time without signal was never below 90%; now it rarely reaches 40%. I unplugged my phone yesterday at 5:00 am and with moderate use it was down to 50% at 9:00 pm. Previously it would have been down to about 15%. I really don't see what I am missing with the 1X setting. I can make and receive calls (none dropped), send and receive texts, surf the internet, view YouTube videos, etc. Download speeds are about the same; certainly not noticeably slower. Like I said, it may not be for everybody in the way you use your phone but if you want a little more battery out of a charge it may be worth a try.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links