what to start with?

This is a discussion on what to start with? within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; hello All, I'm a new member (2nd post) : P I have my Ally coming in Monday (Nov 8th), its my first smart phone and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what to start with?

hello All,

I'm a new member (2nd post) : P

I have my Ally coming in Monday (Nov 8th), its my first smart phone and first time using android.

I'm using the new 15$ a month plan (150 MB) Just wondering if there are a few tips / tricks essential first time user Applications that i should get etc... i'd like to stay within the 15 dollar a month limit, so any tricks to minimize non essential data usage is appreciated.

I'm sure I'll have lots of questions as time goes on, so just trying to get things started.

thanks.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

My advice would be to replace the standard UI with LauncherPro. Its free in the Market.

Quote Originally Posted by marioval View Post
    My advice would be to replace the standard UI with LauncherPro. Its free in the Market.

Thanks, I'll def. check that out. much appreciated.

To reduce data usage, I would suggest turning off autosync for your GMail and\or standard email and also don't use any kind of weather app\widget that updates periodically. Those two things will increase your data usage even if you are not using them. Another thing is to make sure any apps you use do not have ads included. By ads, I mean they will flash advertisements either at the top or bottom of the screen and these ads get downloaded. Unfortunately most free apps come ads enabled. Plus, with only 150mb a month, you will have to be very careful with how much you 'play' with the phone. A few days\nights of heavy internet browsing or app downloading can eat up 150mb pretty quickly. You will also have to avoid any music downloading apps, like Pandora, because that will eat up data as well. Lastly, when you are at home or even away from home, if you have a wireless router in range, switch to it because that won't use up your data allowance over wifi.

To be honest, you will have to keep a very close eye on your data useage at verizonwireless.com because you will be surprised at how quickly you may reach 150mb unless you only use the phone for calls and texting or you don't have a wifi connection to connect to.

Search the marketplace for 3G Watchdog, it will help keep track of your data usage.

id download launcher pro, zeam, and adw and try each out and see what you like. there are descriptions of each around here somewhere. i personally like zeam because the dock is easily customizable and it uses less memory.

Just remember you are on the limited data plan. All the downloads will eat up your usage.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    Just remember you are on the limited data plan. All the downloads will eat up your usage.

*UNLESS you do all your downloads via wifi.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak8s View Post
    *UNLESS you do all your downloads via wifi.

all great advice. thanks.

i have Wifi access at work and at home, so i guess I'll be doing lots of downloads via that.

is there a noticeable performance difference using Wifi?

For me, wifi is faster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links