LG Ally concerns

This is a discussion on LG Ally concerns within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; I am looking into getting a smartphone soon and I'm really liking the LG Ally. I have use many LG phones in the past and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LG Ally concerns

I am looking into getting a smartphone soon and I'm really liking the LG Ally. I have use many LG phones in the past and currently have the LG Voyager and I LOVE it. I do have 2 concerns, however. My biggest concern is the internal memory. The reason I'm getting a smartphone is mainly for the apps. I have been checking out apps on androlib.com and have noticed that not all of them are able to be put on a memory card. I am concerned that the small internal memory of the Ally would limit the amount of apps I could use that are not able to be put on a SD card. Also, I am concerned about the slower processer speeds. I don't mind if the device runs a little slower than the higher end phones as long as it isn't anything too distracting. Again, I'll be running a lot of apps (and games) on it so I need to make sure it does what I need it to do. If you have any advice or info for me that'd be great. Thanks!!!!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You can't put any apps on the SD card. It's all internal memory and,yes, it's limited. A quick search of the forums will lead you to a goldmine of information on the subject.

Obviously I haven't tried yet, but many apps show as being able to be saved on the SD card. The computer I'm on right now is too slow for me to fish through and find a huge number of them but Frozen Bubble is just one example. Not to mention the fact that the searches that I did on the site showed that the apps CAN be saved to an SD card under certain circumstances. My question isn't whether or not the space is limited, I know it is. My question is whether it is SO limited that I'm not going to be able to use it for what I want it for. I don't have an idea of how much space these apps use, etc.

With the stock software, the answer would be no. If you want to root, etc, so so that you can save apps to the SD card, it would be yes.

Motorola Droid 4

The LG Ally, as stated by both other posters above, is unable to install apps to the memory card, this is because of the version of Android currently running on the phone (2.1). If you would have the patience, version 2.2 of android is slated to be available for update on this phone in February of 2011 (as per LG_Pro's post) and with version 2.2 you would be able to install apps to the SD card. The Ally's internal memory is very low for an android enabled phone at 150 mb. To give you an idea of how low it really is, my Ally currently has 17 market-based apps installed, 2 market-based live wallpapers, and 5 custom ringtones downloaded, and along with about 250 text messages I havent deleted yet, my available internal memory is at 15.5 megabytes. Now 17 apps may sound like a lot at first, but it really isn't when you consider all the different types of apps/games there are available on the market to download. As u stated that you are getting a smartphone mainly for apps, this phone may not be the best choice for u, unless you are willing to wait it out until the 2.2 update in february (even then, i wouldnt hold your breath for an update, I made that mistake with the Moto Devour)

Gaming on the ally is sub-par. The 600mh processor really takes a strain when running some games. While games like bejeweled or solitare will run just fine, you can forget about playing any of the graphics intensive games like Need for speed. "Angry birds", one of the most popular games for andriod currently, just barely plays on the Ally without too much lagging or freezing.

As far as speed during normal day to day usage, the difference between the Ally and a higher end smartphone like the Droid, Droid 2, or the Nexus One is distinct, but not crippling. You will clearly notice some hesitation when sliding between home screens, selecting apps, and opening some drop down boxes. Its not terrible hesitation, and it does not cripple the phone whatsoever, just dont play with this phone immediately after playing with a droid 2, the difference in reaction time will make the ally look worse than it is.

Overall, if you havent already made your decision, judging by what youre looking for in a phone I would reccomend for you to spend a little extra money and get an Android enabled phone with a little more power. The Ally isnt a bad phone, but its quickly becoming obsolete next to all the new phones comming out, as does any piece of technology though time.

I have the LG Ally and I love it. It has very good applications and has its own characteristics and a fast browser.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseign View Post
    The LG Ally, as stated by both other posters above, is unable to install apps to the memory card, this is because of the version of Android currently running on the phone (2.1). If you would have the patience, version 2.2 of android is slated to be available for update on this phone in February of 2011 (as per LG_Pro's post) and with version 2.2 you would be able to install apps to the SD card. The Ally's internal memory is very low for an android enabled phone at 150 mb. To give you an idea of how low it really is, my Ally currently has 17 market-based apps installed, 2 market-based live wallpapers, and 5 custom ringtones downloaded, and along with about 250 text messages I havent deleted yet, my available internal memory is at 15.5 megabytes. Now 17 apps may sound like a lot at first, but it really isn't when you consider all the different types of apps/games there are available on the market to download. As u stated that you are getting a smartphone mainly for apps, this phone may not be the best choice for u, unless you are willing to wait it out until the 2.2 update in february (even then, i wouldnt hold your breath for an update, I made that mistake with the Moto Devour)

Gaming on the ally is sub-par. The 600mh processor really takes a strain when running some games. While games like bejeweled or solitare will run just fine, you can forget about playing any of the graphics intensive games like Need for speed. "Angry birds", one of the most popular games for andriod currently, just barely plays on the Ally without too much lagging or freezing.

As far as speed during normal day to day usage, the difference between the Ally and a higher end smartphone like the Droid, Droid 2, or the Nexus One is distinct, but not crippling. You will clearly notice some hesitation when sliding between home screens, selecting apps, and opening some drop down boxes. Its not terrible hesitation, and it does not cripple the phone whatsoever, just dont play with this phone immediately after playing with a droid 2, the difference in reaction time will make the ally look worse than it is.

Overall, if you havent already made your decision, judging by what youre looking for in a phone I would reccomend for you to spend a little extra money and get an Android enabled phone with a little more power. The Ally isnt a bad phone, but its quickly becoming obsolete next to all the new phones comming out, as does any piece of technology though time.

I am disappointed about the space as well. I would love to have loads of apps on my phone but cannot so I basically just have the ones I use the most and if I need an app from time to time (like Flightview) I will uninstall the least used app and install the new one and juggle them that way. Pre-installed apps are fine, but I wish they gave you the option to uninstall the ones you just don't use. I have set my updates to apps on MANUAL and determine if I truly want the update by the comments sections as some updates make changes that I do not want - such as verizon making city id app non-removeable (GRRR - change this verizon!) so i would have to agree with Pose - with one exception: if you absolutely are a txting fiend as I am, the slider keyboard is one of the best still out there and is invaluable to me and allows me to forgive the phone's other shortcomings

That said, I use Home++ for my UI and skyfire browser for the ability to view 95% of the flash videos on websites (some just won't work) and the free version of angry birds is slow due to the ads - if you wait for the ads to go away (like 5-10 seconds) playing angry birds/seasons is fine and the pay version is absolutely playable now that the ads are gone. I will defintely say the 600 Mhz chip is slower than the Snapdragon 1Ghz for sure, so if you're a speed demon, you will really be disappointed with the Ally. I do know I see the Ally being offered for free now with activations. I also noticed that much of the *slowness* I thought i was experiencing in the past, was due to a dirty or oily screen - which can be remedied by placing a few drops of water on the screen and wiping it down with a microcloth - sometimes just slightly moistening your finger with water will also do the trick. Playing back videos is flawless and the screens high resolution is superb for this - the phone is also VERY LOUD - which was a huge plus (esp if you cup your hand behind the speaker it will be even louder) - I have nerve deafness and many phones are nearly impossible for me to use with their speaker phones (even some laptops without a headset can be difficult for me) - it is easily one of the loudest speakerphone features I have ever encountered on a phone so that is another reason why I love the Ally.

Quote Originally Posted by Intrimazz View Post
    I am disappointed about the space as well. I would love to have loads of apps on my phone but cannot so I basically just have the ones I use the most and if I need an app from time to time (like Flightview) I will uninstall the least used app and install the new one and juggle them that way. Pre-installed apps are fine, but I wish they gave you the option to uninstall the ones you just don't use. I have set my updates to apps on MANUAL and determine if I truly want the update by the comments sections as some updates make changes that I do not want - such as verizon making city id app non-removeable (GRRR - change this verizon!) so i would have to agree with Pose - with one exception: if you absolutely are a txting fiend as I am, the slider keyboard is one of the best still out there and is invaluable to me and allows me to forgive the phone's other shortcomings

That said, I use Home++ for my UI and skyfire browser for the ability to view 95% of the flash videos on websites (some just won't work) and the free version of angry birds is slow due to the ads - if you wait for the ads to go away (like 5-10 seconds) playing angry birds/seasons is fine and the pay version is absolutely playable now that the ads are gone. I will defintely say the 600 Mhz chip is slower than the Snapdragon 1Ghz for sure, so if you're a speed demon, you will really be disappointed with the Ally. I do know I see the Ally being offered for free now with activations. I also noticed that much of the *slowness* I thought i was experiencing in the past, was due to a dirty or oily screen - which can be remedied by placing a few drops of water on the screen and wiping it down with a microcloth - sometimes just slightly moistening your finger with water will also do the trick. Playing back videos is flawless and the screens high resolution is superb for this - the phone is also VERY LOUD - which was a huge plus (esp if you cup your hand behind the speaker it will be even louder) - I have nerve deafness and many phones are nearly impossible for me to use with their speaker phones (even some laptops without a headset can be difficult for me) - it is easily one of the loudest speakerphone features I have ever encountered on a phone so that is another reason why I love the Ally.

Well said, and i do agree about the keyboard, simply the best I have seen on a phone as of yet

Interestingly, we went back to get another Ally for The Girl (we have 2), and while there I started playing with phones. MY Ally was much slower than the Ally they had on display! Ideas? Hard reset time?

Quote Originally Posted by dll932 View Post
    Interestingly, we went back to get another Ally for The Girl (we have 2), and while there I started playing with phones. MY Ally was much slower than the Ally they had on display! Ideas? Hard reset time?

I have noticed that the speed of my Ally will slow down based on three areas.

1. Too many services running in the background.

2. Low storage space on my phone.

3. Low battery.

For 1, I use the widget that came with ATK. I do not have the ATK setup to automatically kill things. I only use the widget and when my phone gets sluggish, I touch the widget and it kills all the background services.

For 2, I uninstall any app that I am currently not using. I try to keep my phone memory at 20 MB or higher. Below 18 MB, and my Ally starts locking up.

For 3, I keep my battery above 80%. The more it falls below 80%, the more it seems to slow down.
    Motorola Droid 4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links