Don't get your hopes up. Ally might not get 2.2 update.

This is a discussion on Don't get your hopes up. Ally might not get 2.2 update. within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; Here is the transcript of a conversation I had with a LG rep. It explains that it might not get the 2.2 update. Please, don't ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't get your hopes up. Ally might not get 2.2 update.

Here is the transcript of a conversation I had with a LG rep. It explains that it might not get the 2.2 update. Please, don't hold your breath on this update.

Time of chat: 12/3/2010 7:36:25 PM Length of chat: 00:05:24 Your name: Richard Hickey Chatted with: Chris 6:36 PM Chris: Hello Richard Hickey. Welcome to LG Electronics! How may I provide you with excellent service today? 6:37 PM Richard Hickey: I've been hearing rumors that the LG Ally will not receive the Android 2.2 update. Is that correct? 6:37 PM Chris: I would be happy to help you with that. 6:37 PM Chris: We are under review for the Android 2.2 update. At this time we do not have a definite answer or an Estimated Time of Release. 6:37 PM Richard Hickey: Under review? does that mean that it might not get it? 6:38 PM Chris: It might, it might not. We do not have a definite answer yet. 6:39 PM Richard Hickey: OK. I just wanted to dispell the rumor that it is definitely getting it. I also wanted to inform people in forums that it might not get it. Thanks. 6:40 PM Chris: It might get it also. 6:40 PM Chris: You're welcome. 6:41 PM Richard Hickey: Ok. That's all the information I need. Thanks for the help. 6:41 PM Chris: You're welcome. This transcript was delivered to you courtesy of Velaro, Inc.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Interesting, but I never had hopes for it anyways because I don't see the need for it personally. Not saying there aren't things Froyo will fix\improve for most people, but I personally would be happy with my phone for the next year and a half until my contract runs out whether we get it or not. I don't have any problems with my phone the way it is so there's nothing Froyo could do to improve it for me.

That's how I feel about it, too. I've never gotten what the big deal is with 2.2. I'm very happy with what my LG Ally does right now.

I would love 2 get it just so I could have more space on my phone. Every update we get, I end having to uninstall wanted apps for junk I don't want. And I never had that many to begin with. Plus my phone keeps running slower and slower. I know 3 other people with this phone and we all have issues with them. None of us our heavy users.

Understood, but that's why I never installed an update beyond version V8. I read too many horror stories about how the VZB and the VZC update caused problems so I just avoided them. Plus, once I rooted my phone and created a custom ROM from the stock V8 ROM, my phone has never run better. I removed most of the software that came preinstalled with the phone, added a few of my own apps that I will always use and then flashed this custom stock ROM. I ended up with a phone that runs super smooth and had 142mb of storage space instead of the 128mb the phone shipped with. Now that I have added some of the market apps and a custom launcher, I still have 128mb left so app space is not a big issue for me.

It helps that i'm not a big app guy. I have installed what I need which isn't much, but I totally understand how people who do like to try a lot of apps would benefit from Froyo. The apps2sd feature would be a welcome addition for people who use their phone more than I do. As long as I have the internet, Google maps, my golf GPS app, my music downloader app and a few time wasting games, i'm content so 128mb is still plent of space for me. That's why Froyo won't help me much. I don't do a ton of stuff with my phone. To be honest, SDCard space is more important than app space because I like to listen to music so I download a lot of songs. Plus, I convert DVD's to watch on my Ally when i'm away so I need SDCard space to store the converted movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Understood, but that's why I never installed an update beyond version V8. I read too many horror stories about how the VZB and the VZC update caused problems so I just avoided them. Plus, once I rooted my phone and created a custom ROM from the stock V8 ROM, my phone has never run better. I removed most of the software that came preinstalled with the phone, added a few of my own apps that I will always use and then flashed this custom stock ROM. I ended up with a phone that runs super smooth and had 142mb of storage space instead of the 128mb the phone shipped with. Now that I have added some of the market apps and a custom launcher, I still have 128mb left so app space is not a big issue for me.

It helps that i'm not a big app guy. I have installed what I need which isn't much, but I totally understand how people who do like to try a lot of apps would benefit from Froyo. The apps2sd feature would be a welcome addition for people who use their phone more than I do. As long as I have the internet, Google maps, my golf GPS app, my music downloader app and a few time wasting games, i'm content so 128mb is still plent of space for me. That's why Froyo won't help me much. I don't do a ton of stuff with my phone. To be honest, SDCard space is more important than app space because I like to listen to music so I download a lot of songs. Plus, I convert DVD's to watch on my Ally when i'm away so I need SDCard space to store the converted movies.

It's not just the apps that take up space. Some of us actually use our phones for work. I receive tons of email, many including attachments that I save. While I can save my attachments to my SD card, holding the email takes up memory in my phone, as do my numerous text messages that I send and receive for work related purposes. If I could move the apps I do use to the SD card, this would open up memory for emails and texts that I really need to keep on my phone. As it is, I'm constantly juggling them for phone memory.

Android Enthusiast gtr1000rider's Avatar
    I'm rooted and switch between Velocity and Raptor ROMs and have apps2SD, so I don't really worry about internal space at all.

Physical memory is not my issue. My problems lie mainly with the RAM. I tend to run low on ram and it will kill off notifications at times. I use Sense Analog Clock with

'show system info option' checked and when I see my RAM get to 24-26 I wll do a reboot, kill crap apps and then go on about my day. I've heard that froyo makes better use of your RAM....I hope it's true and I hope we get it.

For whatever reason, i've never had issues with available RAM except when I was trying to use either the Velocity or Raptor custom ROMs. Both of those gave me big time low memory problems doing the exact same things I do with my custom V8 ROM. With that ROM, I rarely see my memory drop below 60mb and it typically stays in the 70mb range. A lot of that might have to do with the fact that I removed just about all the preinstalled apps. The calendar apps, the facebook\twitter apps, Socialite, etc. Pretty much all of those apps that Android would run on startup that ate up RAM before I did anything. Now when I boot up I start with 88mb of RAM.

Just for kicks I just did a test and opened up all of the apps I may use in a day to see what would happen. I opened up the messaging app, the broswer, youtube, GolfShot GPS, MusicDownloader Pro, the Market, the Gallery, Angry Birds and I dropped down to 40mb of RAM. The thing is, I never run all of these things at the same time so that's about as low as my available RAM would ever go. Since I don't ever run all these things at once, that's how I stay above 60mb most of the time.

I am not rooted. I'm holding out til after Christmas to see if froyo comes and if it doesn't, I'm going to bite the bullet and root. However, I have zero linux experience and am a little wary of attempting it. I'll have to so some serious reading to understand what I'm doing before I start...or find someone who will hold may hand step by step.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links