Severe Signal Issues

This is a discussion on Severe Signal Issues within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; Just recently i have started to have problems with Sending/Receiving Texts, and Placing Calls with my LG Ally Previously, i have never had any trouble ...

Thread: Severe Signal Issues

Just recently i have started to have problems with Sending/Receiving Texts, and Placing Calls with my LG Ally

Previously, i have never had any trouble since i got this phone a month or two back, but now its as if its just a paperweight

Firstly, I'd like to mention that id appears i have the 50% bug or whatever that is, where cell standby takes up most of the battery, and basically says i have no signal 90-100% of the time. I dont know if thats related to this or not, but i just felt like mentioning since i have tried every trick in the book that i have come across while searching for a solution to fix it, with no improvement.

Secondly onto the real problem.

When i try to make a call, all of a sudden my signal bar drops from full to absolutely nothing, and sits there for about 30 seconds before the call even gets dialed and starts ringing

Next, if the call hasnt been "lost" as it sometimes says, it starts to ring and the ringback tone or ringing cuts in and out horribly. i hear just little bits and pieces here and there. Same with if the person answers. Just bits and pieces of them come thru, then ill generally lose the call.

Also, for texting. I have it set up to show read/delivery reports.

Sometimes i will send a text. and it will not even "send" for a few minutes sometimes. Then it gets sent, and the person wont receive it. I have found out that if i resend the same text once or twice more, then all of a sudden all previous ones show up as received, AND i will receive the other persons reply all at the same time.

This is all happening in my home, where before this started happening i always had full signal, and ive never once dropped a call prior to this

Oddly enough, today when i went into a nearby town, all of a sudden this problem went away and every single text message and call went through flawlessly

Ive reformatted completely, done *228 option 2 multiple times, and done everything to try to fix the 50% bug. whats going on?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

It sounds like maybe the cell tower near your home is having issues since it resolved when you changed locations. Have you called Verizon to ask if they are having problems in your area? The phone constantly searching for a signal will seriously drain the battery. It sounds like the phone itself is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak8s View Post
    It sounds like maybe the cell tower near your home is having issues since it resolved when you changed locations. Have you called Verizon to ask if they are having problems in your area? The phone constantly searching for a signal will seriously drain the battery. It sounds like the phone itself is fine.

I have and they said nothing was wrong

also, my friend that i live with has a droid incredible and is having absolutely no signal problems here at all

If you have done *228 + Option 2 and that did not help it could be a faulty antennae. If it is an antennae problem, VW should replace the phone with a refurbished phone because you are under warranty. Standard manufacturing warranties are 1 year. I suggest you call CS and have them talk you through all their "tricks" you probably already tried before they will send you a replacement. You can also go to a VW store, but I can't look them in the face when they tell me stuff that is not true.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Has anyone else experienced such fallout?

Good luck,

Q

OH! Some Apps measure signal strength. I have never used one and don't have one to recommend, but one might help you diagnose the problem.

I had the same issues--texts not sending, calls from some people went directly into voicemail with no notification that a call came it, inablility to make calls because it would drop before connecting. I didn't have the issues when I first got the phone, it seemed to come on pretty suddenly too and just get worse. Ironically, I would receive calls from certain numbers, but would never get calls from other numbers. Finally I took the phone into the Verizon store and after an hour of troubleshooting at the store and with them talking to Verizon mothership to verify my issues they determined it was a phone hardware issue. I received a new (refurbished) phone yesterday and am happy to report I now receive all calls and can send texts again! I wish I would have gone in sooner. Hopefully I don't suddenly get the same issues with this phone.

I have gotten the system upgrade notification and have ignored it. I can't be certain, but I have a suspicion that the issues started when I allowed it on my last phone. Oh and the battery life (same battery from my old phone) is amazing now, so it fixed the battery usage issue too. I'm not an apps user, so it wasn't that I was running apss, the old phone just sucked the life out of my battery. Good luck to you.

My wife and I have had 2 ally's since October. We did have 2 LG flip phones (forget the model) that were fantastic and lasted us 10+ years. When we started out with these we were using them primarliy as phones and even then only on an emergency basis. We have embraced the ability to surf and text, but with both these ally's as a phone they are a total piece of crap. We cannot even make or receive calls in our own home. As I drive around the phone constantly announcing 'loss of signal'. And forget about calling home from the grocery store as once inside any large building the signal is gone. Just like these phones will be come the 1st of the year.

Another note: do not bother downloading and apps other than the ones that come with it. Battery life goes from a few days to a few hours.

They are junk....checking the VZW store online they are out of stock. I suspect that is probably forever. I think LG put this phone out just to get into the market. They really didn't care whether it worked or not.

I have had my Ally since it first became available and have had very little issues with it. I have never had any major problems with the calls, signals, SD card, sounds, etc. Most of the problems that I have come across where caused by the idiot who owns the phone (aka me). About the only issue I do have is the battery live is horrible but I am a power user so I have learned to live with it and keep the phone on a charger most of the time. I also have always done a Factory Reset after an upgrade which has helped to eliminate a lot of the odd bugs that seem to always come after an upgrade. Some think that that isn't necessary but I am still on my first LG Ally and have not had to have it replaced mutiple times. Maybe I was just lucky and got a good one.

I also think that a lot of users upgraded from a regular phone to the Ally because of price and they didn't really know what they were getting into. They expected it to work just like their old regular phone and it just isn't that simple. Instead of thinking of it as a phone that can do some really cool things, I think of it as a mini computer that can also make phone calls.
    Motorola Droid 4

Sponsored Links