FROYO / USB / DEBUG trouble ?? LONG - HELP!!

This is a discussion on FROYO / USB / DEBUG trouble ?? LONG - HELP!! within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; Trying to install FROYO through USB and I'm not having any luck. I have never had my phone on my PC before (other phones I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FROYO / USB / DEBUG trouble ?? LONG - HELP!!

Trying to install FROYO through USB and I'm not having any luck. I have never had my phone on my PC before (other phones I have). I installed the update utility and the drivers but played for hours to get the LG utility program to recognize my phone. I did some searching and found out about DEBUG mode. Funny thing is, once I turn ON DEBUG mode, the LG program will recognize my phone and tell me my software version, etc... If I turn off DEBUG mode, I lose my USB connection???? This isn't normal is it????? LG program says disconnected...plug in phone

Anyway, once I turn on DEBUG and my phone is recognized, USB is connected etc, I hit the START UPDATE button..........The software starts the process but after an error message that I have to OK . If I OK it, it continues but always fails on the "checking phone number" part with the same error message. It tells me to hit the CONTACT button or EXIT. It will never go passed here without all kinds of SERVER ERROR messages, "????????????????" messages, and the first ERROR message which I will type out below.

I need to start the process again so I can type out the exact error message....but yah, if I don't turn on DEBUG....all the phone will do is charge...no USB connection...WTF ???????

c:\programdata\LGMOBILEAX\image\header_bg.gif was not found

I have to OK the error and it will continue but bring up the same error that I have to OK when it gets to "checking phone number". After that, I get a SERVER ERROR with about 25 question marks in 2 rows. After I OK that,I get a HELP window with an option to hit a "Contact" button or "Exit"...............the Help says........Select the Contact button to contact LG Mobile Phone Software Update online. Checking the cell phone #...........

Hitting the Contact button brings up the "c:\programdata\...." message again and all I can do is Exit to terminate the update.

This is on an unrooted Ally with ZVC software. I'm confused. ..should the LG update utility recognize my phone without being in DEBUG mode????? (it won't).

I have uninstalled the LG drivers and reinstalled them 3 times, rebooted PC, rebooted phone, etc......

I'm at a loss. Maybe someone else has seen this or might know the problem ??? I will post back if I find a solution................ HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

[quote name='Ally_Doug' date='18 January 2011 - 06:13 PM' timestamp='1295392403' post='1000011460']

Trying to install FROYO through USB and I'm not having any luck. I have never had my phone on my PC before (other phones I have). I installed the update utility and the drivers but played for hours to get the LG utility program to recognize my phone. I did some searching and found out about DEBUG mode. Funny thing is, once I turn ON DEBUG mode, the LG program will recognize my phone and tell me my software version, etc... If I turn off DEBUG mode, I lose my USB connection???? This isn't normal is it????? LG program says disconnected...plug in phone

Anyway, once I turn on DEBUG and my phone is recognized, USB is connected etc, I hit the START UPDATE button..........The software starts the process but after an error message that I have to OK . If I OK it, it continues but always fails on the "checking phone number" part with the same error message. It tells me to hit the CONTACT button or EXIT. It will never go passed here without all kinds of SERVER ERROR messages, "????????????????" messages, and the first ERROR message which I will type out below.

I need to start the process again so I can type out the exact error message....but yah, if I don't turn on DEBUG....all the phone will do is charge...no USB connection...WTF ???????

c:\programdata\LGMOBILEAX\image\header_bg.gif was not found

I have to OK the error and it will continue but bring up the same error that I have to OK when it gets to "checking phone number". After that, I get a SERVER ERROR with about 25 question marks in 2 rows. After I OK that,I get a HELP window with an option to hit a "Contact" button or "Exit"...............the Help says........Select the Contact button to contact LG Mobile Phone Software Update online. Checking the cell phone #...........

Hitting the Contact button brings up the "c:\programdata\...." message again and all I can do is Exit to terminate the update.

This is on an unrooted Ally with ZVC software. I'm confused. ..should the LG update utility recognize my phone without being in DEBUG mode????? (it won't).

I have uninstalled the LG drivers and reinstalled them 3 times, rebooted PC, rebooted phone, etc......

I'm at a loss. Maybe someone else has seen this or might know the problem ??? I will post back if I find a solution................ HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/quote]

In the instructions I posted on the Froyo thread (copied from LG's guide), USB debugging should be checked. It looks like you need to redownload the LG Mobile Support Tool to PC software as the file it says it cannot find is a simple .gif file. It might help to disable Anti-virus and firewall software during this as I found my Zonealarm Internet Security Suite asking for all sorts of permissions.

http://www.lg.com/us/support/mc-supp...ne-support.jsp

Intrimazz.......thank you for your reply. I was aware of your post but in the searching I did before I even tried the update, I found a post where it was mentioned to keep DEBUG off for USB to work. Go figure. I have tried it both ways. I was just wondering if the PC ( or the LG Utility program) would recognize the phone if DEBUG was off because mine won't. I've tried turning off my firewall/antivirus as well during the whole process as I too had ALOT of permission requests. I still get the same error message. I can't even get through the ANALYZE portion of the update. I'm getting pretty aggravated as this shouldn't be a hard process. I'm new to smart phones but not computers (although I'm no expert).

Anymore ideas ???? Thanks again, Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Ally_Doug View Post
    Intrimazz.......thank you for your reply. I was aware of your post but in the searching I did before I even tried the update, I found a post where it was mentioned to keep DEBUG off for USB to work. Go figure. I have tried it both ways. I was just wondering if the PC ( or the LG Utility program) would recognize the phone if DEBUG was off because mine won't. I've tried turning off my firewall/antivirus as well during the whole process as I too had ALOT of permission requests. I still get the same error message. I can't even get through the ANALYZE portion of the update. I'm getting pretty aggravated as this shouldn't be a hard process. I'm new to smart phones but not computers (although I'm no expert).

I always have debug on when I connect via usb and I do this alot as I swap alot of movies and music to my sd card for my phone. Also, the instructions clearly state to have it on, so I wouldnt worry so much about the debug - if it is on and the software recognizes your phone, then you are fine. At this point, I would completely remove the LG software from your system altogether (make sure there are no traces of it in regedit as well) and start fresh. So sorry you are having a hard time of it. If you start fresh and still encounter errors, then I can only advise to wait for VZ to offer it OTA. Keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by Ally_Doug View Post

Ok. I'm an idiot. Where do you turn off the debug?

Quote Originally Posted by nyuk1998 View Post
    Ok. I'm an idiot. Where do you turn off the debug?

for the update, be sure USB debugging is enabled (settings>applications>development>check usb debugging)

follow the thread here:

http://www.lgallyforums.com/topic/2163-froyo-released/

Quote Originally Posted by Intrimazz View Post
    for the update, be sure USB debugging is[b] enabled (settings>applications>development>check usb debugging)

follow the thread here:

http://www.lgallyfor...froyo-released/

Thanx Intrimazz. Now charging my phone.

EDIT: Phone updated. Thanx folks.....let the games begin.

When the new software came out it gave the ability to turn on mobile hotspot. Is this feature going to charge you extra on top of your monthly data charge?

Quote Originally Posted by aobrien View Post
    When the new software came out it gave the ability to turn on mobile hotspot. Is this feature going to charge you extra on top of your monthly data charge?

That is something to ask Verizon. I haven't seen this option - where did you see it on the Ally?

nvm I just saw it in wireless and network settings.... will look into it.

I see other VZ phones offer mobile hotspot as well w no extra charges so I am going to guess that this is a bonus feature (I have unlimited data as I believe VZ requires it for any smartphone)

Just an update here....... I did wipe out TOTALLY any signs of software from LG on my PC. Reinstalled everything and no more errors !! Whoo HOO !!!!!!!!!!!! analyzed and downloading 0% ...... 0% ........0 %........ 0%........

Whoops, next message,, unable to get required data, check internet connection and hit restart. Okay try again,,,,,....... 0%.............0%..........0%..........0.......... .....

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You've got to be kidding me. My internet connection is GREAT!!!!!!!! I finally cancelled it after 15 minutes and 0% and 3 attempts to download. I'm going to try one more time then say to hell with it and maybe wait for the OTA.

I went back to the original FROYO HAS ARRIVED thread and I see someone else can't get any download progress????? WTF ?????

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links