Your First Opinions on FroYo

This is a discussion on Your First Opinions on FroYo within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; Originally Posted by Droidbiker It's finally time for me to chime in. I have been reading this thread since I got the OTA 2.2. In ...

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Your First Opinions on FroYo

Quote Originally Posted by Droidbiker View Post
    It's finally time for me to chime in.

I have been reading this thread since I got the OTA 2.2. In general I guess it is about a wash compared to 2.1 (IMHO). I do think that things run smother and I am happy to save Apps to SD (although there aren't very many that I have that you can but I hope more will be comming) . I am extremely disapointed with everything else. My big hope for FROYO was actually being able to use voice dial with my bluetooth....NOPE. I tried looking for some dialog box to pop up with a file/ app I needed to install (didn't happen), tried Vlingo and voice actions from the market (slightly better voice recognition but still can't but still can't push the button on bluetooth and voice dial). I am so frustrated. I am actually entertaining the idea of paying retail for an iphone because I am so ticked off with this issue. I have been a big Droid proponent and have talked a family member and 3 friends into buying various droids. I love LG and have had several in the past with great satisfaction. (Maybe I should go back to my voyager... at least it worked for voice dial on bluetooth). My other BIG change with the update is now my battery lasts about 24 hrs. I know that many people would be cheering but before FROYO I was getting about 36-48 hours on a charge. I have done a factory reset and checked all my settings. EVERYTHING is the same and in fact some things like screen brightness are actually on a lower setting. I have not reformatted my SD card yet as I need to go save my pics to my computer first but I can't see how this is or could effect my battery life.

Soooooooo.........

Here it is. My opinion of FROYO. AA or anybody else have other suggestions for either of my problems. I can answer questions about apps and usage but I promise you that I am a light to moderat user and that all my settings are the same and I actually have fewer Apps.

Droid Biker, Try reformating the SD Card to see if that doesn't improve the battery life. I had horrible battery life until I did that right after a Factory Reset. I am curious if it makes a difference or not and you can help find that out.
    Motorola Droid 4

Bleh. My phone was rooted and I was running the Punisher rom with the 2.1 version. My wife got her Froyo update, and noticed things were a little better for her as far as speed went. (She never would let me root her phone.) So finally, this weekend I set out to return my phone to stock so I could get the 2.2 update. It took a full day of playing around and getting it completely back, and then pushing 3 updates before I got the Froyo update. Everything was pretty smooth, so I did the Factory Reset and SD card format everyone recommends. I added all my favorite apps and customized my Launcher Pro Settings and all. I charged it before I went to bed, unplugged it and powered it down. When I powered it up the next morning, it froze on my home screen. I couldn't access anything. The only thing that would work was powering it down. When it rebooted, it did the same thing. I then did a hard reset (pulled the battery). Same thing on reboot. So I pulled the battery again, and restarted with vol. down + home + power off like I would normally use to get into recovery. It did a factory reset on my phone again, and I had to set everything up AGAIN. Now, it won't stay connected to my wifi (my wife's will) and my signal inside my house (which was up to 2-3 bars while rooted) is non-existent. If you're rooted and want to get the Froyo update for grins, I recommend sticking with what you've got. Don't make the same mistake I did. I can't wait to re-root my phone.

Is anyone else sick of their **** ****ing up!?

Excuse my language, but I'm tired of my phone calls cutting off more than they used too, and my phone randomly going on speakerphone, and the stupid ****ing weather/clock page popping and and making my apps/browser spaz out.

I'm so sick of this. I just got the stupid thing in sept. I USED TO LOVE MY PHONE, I still have a two year contract!

Doesn't anyone know how to fix this **** or go back to the old OS?

So I've been following these forums for quite some time now, guess it's my turn to chime in. At first I was quite unsatisfied with the froyo update since it had quite some problems. After a factory reset, things got way better; the phone was faster, froze less if at all and the phone calls were ending(they didn't want to end before the reset). After about a month of having the update, I've noticed rather recently that the phone is running somewhat perfectly. Everything is much smoother and games like Angry Birds are running with alot less lag and the battery is lasting longer than it used to. I'm not sure what I did but this came out of the blue for me...all I know is that I am really happy with my Ally right now

When you reformat your sd card does it erase everything in it? And I don't have a computer to back up my stuff right now because its getting fixed....if I FR and reformat my sd card will I lose all my info on my sd?

Yes, formatting your card will erase everything. Try a file-hosting App like DropBox to store your files on the net before you format the card.

Ok, after having 2.2 for some time now and testing some features I feel more comfortable making some responses (also having the in house comparison between the LG Tool update on my phone and the OTA update on my wife's). Here are some of my observations.

1. Battery life has decreased to some degree though it seems to have been a lesser degree on my phone than on my wife's phone. She used to have to charge it only once every other day, now it is nearly dead by the end of any given day (regardless of Task killer settings and even with removing task killer to set a baseline).

2. Happy to see apps to SD now. Not all go of course, which we knew ahead of time, but many do and work perfectly. Some apps that have corresponding home screen widgets fail to be able to use the widget if the app is on SD, but it is easy enough to either not use the widget or just move the app back to the phone.

3. My wife's phone has been MAJORLY buggy since she got the update. I think we have to actually pull the battery out of it because of lock-ups almost 4-5 times since the update, and that is just crazy. Note that after the update a master reset was done on both my phone and hers (which is my general practice when any significant update comes out). Have not had the bugs to the same extreme on my phone though they do show to a much lesser degree. I can go through what some of those bugs are if anyone is interested, just did not want to have an overly long post.

4. Tried Bluetooth Voice Dialing today, which I was really looking forward to being able to do, and it does not seem to work very well. It brings up the menu as it should when I hit the action button on my BT, but it does a HORRIBLE job of understanding commands. I know that often you have to configure Voice recognition software to your voice patterns, but have seen no place yet that this can be done. Needless to say, I am quite disappointed.

5. I have noticed the significant lag that others have talked about, especially when leaving an app and waiting for the home screen icons to show in ADW. There have even been instances that I had to go in and restart ADW in order for it to show the home screen icons and widgets. It is also laggy in changing homescreens by swiping side to side, usually takes a couple of tries before it actually changes screens. I thought this could be an ADW issue, but the same issue happens on my wife's phone that uses the standard Android home screen.

6. I have noticed a significant change in the amount of resources available to the phone (specifically with RAM) but this was expected after being able to move apps off the phone to the SD Card anyway. I used to have about 45MB available most of the time unless a major app was running. Now I have about 55-65MB available depending on what is going on in the background. Thought this would increase performance overall as well, but it has not as much as I would think it should.

All in all, I am happy to have the 2.2 update as the Apps to SD was the major thing I was after, however, I am not impressed with the features that were promised and am not seeing the improvements in performance, battery life, and resource management that were alluded to either. I do think there is a significant difference between the LG Update Tool version of the update and the OTA as the issues are greatly reduced on my phone but are nearly catastrophic on hers and the method of update is the primary difference. If anyone has any suggestions for fixing any of these issues, I am glad to hear them, just don't suggest master reset as that has been done on both phones at least once (twice on mine for other reasons).

Oh, and one last thing, Verizon's Back-up Assistant App does not seem to work properly with 2.2 either. I tried to restore my apps with it right after the update and a master reset and it said that the update was successful but 0 contacts had been restored even though I could go online and see that all of my contacts were there. I have since exported the contact list on Verizon's website and put it into GMail so that they go to my phone through that.

I'll give my 2.2 report now that I have done a "Factory Reset", which I had been avoiding. My wife's Ally seems to be running OK without a factory reset, but she doesn't have all the crap on her phone that I do.

I decided to factory reset the phone after I had the same problem #3 & #5 that Shadow did & after many who recommended it here...mine would hang up coming out of an app on its way back to the home screen (could reboot at this point), or the screen would go blank and the unit would become un-responsive & I'd have to pull the battery. This was 2 or 3 times a day which is 2 or 3 times too many in my opinion. A crash like that should be rare I think.

Other issues:

1.Astro File Manager no longer ran after my 2.2 update, but it now runs after I re-installed post factory reset.

2.The Gallery app does not preview pictures since the 2.2 update (before or after reset) - what is the 'fix' for this? What is the point of storing pictures on your phone (SD Card) if you go into the gallery and have 50 gray boxes to scroll thru?? ? - update...Astro seems to work for previews of pictures, but it is also not as 'easy' as just clicking the Gallery...

3.One thing I cannot find since the reset is the widget that is similar to the "Free Power Widget" which I think came as an LG widget..you could turn on/off WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, sync & adjust the brightness. I can't find that widget now!?!?! How do I get it back? - Currently, I am using the "quick settings" app along with "quick battery" widget, but it is not quite as simple as the other one. It is growing on me though..I like the flashlight app that is embedded in it.

So, other than those small issues, after the reset I seem to be running along just fine. Of course, it is taking a few days to get all those other little personalized tricks that are unique to your phone that help you not miss calls & messages, etc, like dgAlert to control my messages the way I want, and remembering to turn on the RINGER!

I tried to install the ARMv6 compatible version of Fennec today as per the Ally post on androidforums.com (Firefox for Android), but I couldn't get it to run. I don't do a lot of web browsing anyway and haven't had any real trouble with the stock browser, but I thought I'd try it. Anyone else have any luck?- here is a link to that post - Ally & Firefox

Shadow, did you ever format the SD Card? I see "Master Reset" a few times, which I interpret as Factory Reset, but SD Card format was not mentioned. Remember to back it up first. Froyo changed the way the SD Card is used and IMO it could help.

I still contend a Task Killer is not necessary and could even lead to instability. But I don't want to get into that here. There are threads devoted to that debate.

IMO Back-up Assistant is total ****e. I rely on Gmail sync and have Factory Reset after each update, too. My contacts are there as soon as I let them sync. I also only back-up my Apps to my SD Card using Linda File Manager. After receiving Froyo I did a Factory Reset on the phone, installed my Apps from the SD Card, then formatted the SD Card.

Finally, don't forget to clear your cache. I feel my cache builds faster after Froyo and needs to be cleared a lot more often. Whenever my phone starts to lag I clear cache using a shortcut to the Application Manager. This clears about 2 to 5 MB! This happens at least twice a week now but before Froyo I needed to clear cache about every 2 weeks.

Qasar...that is next on my list..figuring out where to put my stuff so I can format the SD card. I think the only real thing to "save" is a handful of pictures (50 or so)..I just need to send them all to myself in gmail or something I guess.

So...if you run out of phone space for your apps when trying to move them 'off' the SD card, do you just delete them and re-install them later?

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links