EXCITING!!!!

This is a discussion on EXCITING!!!! within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; Ok....I'm SO excited, I can't even tell you! It's in the middle of the bloody night, but I'm still up b/c I'm so excited!!!! I ...

Thread: EXCITING!!!!

Ok....I'm SO excited, I can't even tell you! It's in the middle of the bloody night, but I'm still up b/c I'm so excited!!!! I absolutely LOVE my ALLY now (not like I didn't love it before, I suppose)!!!!! So, I just got my 2.2 update on my phone (not thru a website, but an update from VZ). It installed & restarted. I moved several things to the SD card & got about 16 mb's of space back. That is exciting all in itself!!

However, the next big surprise was the 3G mobile hotspot that I found. So, I can have my phone on the other side of the room or in a part of the house that gets great reception & still use my computer. I do not have to tether it anymore. Now, I'm slightly worried about any extra charges?? Does anyone know anything about this? I already pay the $30/month for unlimited internet access, but does that include the hotspot? Anyway, not sure about this yet. I tried it out, though, and it seemed to work just as good as if I tethered it.

So, our internet (FIOS) is being shut off tomorrow. We decided to get rid of our home phone & internet b/c it was too expensive. My phone works mostly ok tethered for internet (when we use it), so why not just take advantage of that. So, we had planned on possibly getting rid of our Netflix as well b/c I had tried numerous times to run Netflix through my Ally, but it never worked. Obviously, if our internet was gone, then Netflix was useless. Got the update, so, I decided to try it with the new update installed. SO EXCITED b/c it ACTUALLY WORKED!!!!!! I am shocked!!! From what I saw & had read, Flash wasn't being included in this update. So, I just assumed, it wouldn't work. However, though Flash wasn't part of the update (as far as I can tell at least), they changed something b/c Netflix works now thru the Ally. I can't tell you how excited I am. I can now watch the rest of Psych & many other things now & not feel like I have to find another way to watch it!!

As to the update, so far, everything seems faster & I love being able to move the apps that are able to be moved to the SD card. Anyway, again, I'm super excited!! :-)

loveally

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

How exactly are you streaming Netflix on your Ally?

I'm not actually streaming it ON my Ally, but through it. I just got the system update (Froyo 2.2) early this morning. So, I tried the new mobile hot spot app they gave us, but it didn't seem to work. So, I tethered the phone to my laptop & voila!, went to the Netflix website, & it worked (it did not work a few days ago). To tether, I use PDAnet. I know there is another one called EasyTether that some people use. I have tried both to find not much difference, but some of the reviews I've read pointed in PDAnet's direction as being the better one. Also, PDAnet had their full app on sale for $15 (and some odd cents) a few days ago & it is normally $30. So, I just stuck with that (plus PDAnet has a widget that's nice). Netflix did take a bit to download & load the show, but once that was done, I was watching my show with no problems. Now, my next 2 steps are to:

1. try mobile hot spot again for my laptop b/c there may have been something wrong with Silverlight (program that streams Netflix, I think). I had to delete some things within Silverlight's settings when I tethered it before it seemed to work.

2. try mobile hot spot for the Wii & see if Netflix works that way as well.

But, I have to wait until I get off of work before I can try it. I will let you know what it does later tonight.

Marioval, did I answer your question? Hopefully, I did.

Android Enthusiast gtr1000rider's Avatar
    Netflix does not use Flash. It always worked for me on 2.1 wireless tethering.

Quote Originally Posted by Valkerie View Post
    Netflix does not use Flash. It always worked for me on 2.1 wireless tethering.

Oh, lucky you!!! Hmmm....I wonder why it never worked for me. I tried it on 2 different laptops in the last 6 months. One about 5-6 months ago with Windows XP & another just a few days ago with Win 7 and neither time did it ever work. It would always look like it would work & it loaded & loaded & got all the way to 100%, and then it wouldn't work. So, something changed at least on my phone. Very strange.

Maybe your network speed was not fast enough? I never use my phone for streaming video, I like HD and even good looking Netflix on my TV.

Maybe your network speed was not fast enough? I never use my phone for streaming video, I like HD and even good looking Netflix on my TV.

I was always using my phone's 3G signal & never Wi Fi. I have FIOS, I never had problems with Netflix when I use my computer or my Wii. It was always with the phone plugged into the computers using the phone signal only. I don't watch videos on my phone, either. The screen is too tiny. I had my phone tethered the times I tried to get Netflix with my phone. I don't know. For all I know, it could be that Silverlight wasn't updated correctly or something. Right before I tried Netflix last night & it worked, I downloaded something for Silverlight. When Netflix didn't work, it told me to go & delete something from a place within Silverlight's application. I do so, and then it worked fine. Who knows? Just glad it is fixed & it works!

UPDATE: Not trying the hot spot with the Wii tonight. Found out that you have to pay $20 extra/month just to get it. It doesn't work on my computer as I thought it would b/c you have to call VZ to turn it on. Just ridiculous! Not paying extra. Will just find a cable to hook my computer to my TV to watch with hubby or family. Still excited, though! :-)

When tethering even with a usb cable, it uses 3G, not wifi. 3G's speed is not near high enough to stream HD or even top quality SD Netflix. If you have FIOS why use the slow 3G?

Silverlight isn't exactly my favorite thing either.

When tethering even with a usb cable, it uses 3G, not wifi. 3G's speed is not near high enough to stream HD or even top quality SD Netflix. If you have FIOS why use the slow 3G?

Silverlight isn't exactly my favorite thing either.

I understand that tethering is only using the 3G network. However, you had said that Netflix worked for you on 2.1 tethering, so now I'm confused.

I've tried tethering to my laptop in the past to use Netflix, but it never worked with 2.1. But since last night when I received 2.2, Netflix works through my phone being tethered to my laptop using 3G only. Not sure what the difference is, but the 3G speed is not an issue right now. It does take a minute or two to download the movie/show, but once it's downloaded, it works fantastic. It's not grainy or choppy. It runs smooth as pie.

We are getting rid of FIOS b/c we are trying to save money (saving $73 by getting rid of our home phone & internet & using my Ally). We don't get the discs through Netflix anymore & only watch online. I thought we would have to discontinue Netflix since I knew it didn't work before, but now we are not discontinuing it. Now, I just gotta figure out how to hook up my laptop to my tv & we'll be able to watch Netflix on our tv. Fun times!!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links