Froyo charging problem

This is a discussion on Froyo charging problem within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; Originally Posted by trimble Well, all of mine worked fine until Froyo. There are a couple schemes that Apple has used, I'm going to try ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Froyo charging problem

Android Jr Member David Sevigny's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    Well, all of mine worked fine until Froyo. There are a couple schemes that Apple has used, I'm going to try making an adapter cable tomorrow if I get a chance and see if it helps. Two tricks seem to be shorting the USB pins 2&3 together, and applying a couple voltages to the pins (sort of like mark and space on RS232) to see if I can fool it into thinking all is good.

So far, this upgrade has been a downgrade for me. My battery drains a lot faster and I can't recharge in my car or house anymore.

Really? good luck with that...you are the ally macgyver.

Quote Originally Posted by BigE View Post
    OK, I may have inadvertently found a solution for the charging issue. I went to the settings menu, Applications, Development, and then unchecked the box next to USB debugging, which I had enabled for a particular application that I run frequently. Since the Froyo update I had been unable to charge via my car charger set up w/ 12V plug to usb female to a usb A to micro cord nor could I charge from my desktop computer w/o the particular application that I run on my laptop. I shut off the debugging and voila` it works again on my desktop computer. Now to try it in my car. Let me know if that works for you.

Thanks so much for the info...............now my phone charges when I plug it into my netbook !!!

I barely had a chance to play with Froyo on my Ally before my phone was stolen. I just got my insurance replacement yesterday (Monday). I activated it and it immediately updated to Froyo -- happy days! However, As many of you did, I also discovered Monday that car charger (LG USB cable w/aftermarket powerpoint-to-USB adapter) wasn't charging my phone. LG cable to computer worked fine; LG cable to wall via LG charging block worked fine. In the car, the same symptoms described above: red light comes on, charger adapter lights up too; but no little lightning bolt in battery life icon, and the phone says it's discharging, not charging. But my USB debugging was not checked. As I said, the phone was brand new (to me) and I hadn't had a chance to start something like USB debugging (which I never used on my original Ally either, for that matter).

So, I'm going to try this fix by turning on, then off, the USB debugging feature and see if that helps. I'll report back.

i charged mine on a generic $2 car charger bought on eBay yesterday. usb debugging is not enabled on mine.

At this point, I'm thinking 2.2 blocks aftermarket chargers by design. The car charger I had used with my first ally since August will not charge the new ally on 2.2. However, I borrowed my daughter's Verizon-brand micro-usb car charger (she has an enV Touch) and it charges my phone perfectly. I'm very disappointed by this, and if it is indeed across all platforms, I hope there will be enough of an outcry that it will be corrected.

I have also encountered USB charging problems after taking the pushed upgrade on my LG Ally from Android 2.1 to 2.2 Froyo. The phone will only charge for me if I use the LG AC to USB wall adapter, OR if I use the micro USB connector to connect to my Dell Mini 9 netbook or Lenovo T510 laptop. It will NOT charge anymore with any built-in USB ports in cars that I have tried, nor with any 12V car to USB adapter plugs, or my Belkin mini surge protector with USB ports. The red light will come on, but the phone will report status as "discharging". VERY FRUSTRATING! And, with the poor battery life and application management, completely unacceptable to use GPS or rely upon while in a vehicle for more than a couple hours.

Moreover, I tried plugging my 120V to 12V adapter and then a 12V to 5V 1amp USB adapter in home. Then result? Red light comes on, state is still discharging, but, what's worse is that the capacitive touch-screen started going haywire -- unable to use. Something bad is definitely going on beyond that micro-usb connector in the Ally.

I can confirm that LG has admitted to me that the USB charging problems is an issue with taking the OS upgrade from Android 2.1 to 2.2 Froyo. After complaining about ongoing issues with my Ally, Verizon sent me a recertified replacement Ally shipped with Android 2.1 installed. All methods of charging worked until after I took the upgrade to 2.2. Then, all USB charging ceased to work, except from a computer as noted above. Contrary to other posts here, I find that enabling or disabling USB debugging has had no effect on my phone's ability to USB charge. I called Verizon who transferred me twice and then over to LG support who transferred me again. The LG rep told me that the Ally was never intended to support Froyo 2.2 and that they only did the upgrade because of the overwhelming complaints from us Ally owners that demanded 2.2 capabilities (especially moving apps over to SD card). The rep said that the LG Vortex was the only phone they designed for 2.2. (I highly dislike Vortex because of its association with Bing instead of Google). LG's only offer was for me to personally mail them my phone at my cost and get a loaner phone from Verizon. WHATEVER!! I know that LG won't properly and thoroughly test the USB charging and claim that the phone works fine, when, in fact, it doesn't for reasons stated clearly tested above and explained to them.

I would suspect that trying to plug the LG Ally into a powered USB hub may work. For some reason, even though I am trying 12V to 5V 1amp car adapters, they are not being detected correctly by the Ally after the OS upgrade. Has anyone tried using a powered USB hub to test this? I will be able to test this in about a week and report back. Not sure how those playing with the pinouts of their USB cables relate to these findings.

I have had 4 LG phones for the past 10 years, and have never had a problem - until now. Now, the support has been terrible. I am suffering with a phone that will not perform to its specifications, and I am not satisfied at all. I used to highly recommend LG phones, but I can't wait to switch over to a better Andoird device. I appreciate the upgrade to 2.2 (making Ally a usable device with more applications), but not at the cost of not being able to use it in the car.

Tried the "debugging" method for the car charger and that didn't work...I hope bionic comes out soon.I read that droid x and droid 2 shelf life ends next month as does the ally.so basically we are all screwed.at least droid x and 2 owners have 2.3 and are getting the REAL android experience.we got this half ass device.screen and keyboard are ahead of its time.love the external hardware.a little heavy but great.software and I guess the internal hardware that supports the software...blows. its all about duo core phones...I jumped on this smart phone boat wayyy too late to know its gotten a lot better.and 2 months too early to be trapped in contract not knowing I'm buying outdated gear that's gonna just piss me off.. knowing I could be paying for a better phone that does what its supposed to do...wow

Quote Originally Posted by pohlmacs View Post
    I have also encountered USB charging problems after taking the pushed upgrade on my LG Ally from Android 2.1 to 2.2 Froyo. The phone will only charge for me if I use the LG AC to USB wall adapter, OR if I use the micro USB connector to connect to my Dell Mini 9 netbook or Lenovo T510 laptop. It will NOT charge anymore with any built-in USB ports in cars that I have tried, nor with any 12V car to USB adapter plugs, or my Belkin mini surge protector with USB ports. The red light will come on, but the phone will report status as "discharging". VERY FRUSTRATING! And, with the poor battery life and application management, completely unacceptable to use GPS or rely upon while in a vehicle for more than a couple hours.

Moreover, I tried plugging my 120V to 12V adapter and then a 12V to 5V 1amp USB adapter in home. Then result? Red light comes on, state is still discharging, but, what's worse is that the capacitive touch-screen started going haywire -- unable to use. Something bad is definitely going on beyond that micro-usb connector in the Ally.

I can confirm that LG has admitted to me that the USB charging problems is an issue with taking the OS upgrade from Android 2.1 to 2.2 Froyo. After complaining about ongoing issues with my Ally, Verizon sent me a recertified replacement Ally shipped with Android 2.1 installed. All methods of charging worked until after I took the upgrade to 2.2. Then, all USB charging ceased to work, except from a computer as noted above. Contrary to other posts here, I find that enabling or disabling USB debugging has had no effect on my phone's ability to USB charge. I called Verizon who transferred me twice and then over to LG support who transferred me again. The LG rep told me that the Ally was never intended to support Froyo 2.2 and that they only did the upgrade because of the overwhelming complaints from us Ally owners that demanded 2.2 capabilities (especially moving apps over to SD card). The rep said that the LG Vortex was the only phone they designed for 2.2. (I highly dislike Vortex because of its association with Bing instead of Google). LG's only offer was for me to personally mail them my phone at my cost and get a loaner phone from Verizon. WHATEVER!! I know that LG won't properly and thoroughly test the USB charging and claim that the phone works fine, when, in fact, it doesn't for reasons stated clearly tested above and explained to them.

I would suspect that trying to plug the LG Ally into a powered USB hub may work. For some reason, even though I am trying 12V to 5V 1amp car adapters, they are not being detected correctly by the Ally after the OS upgrade. Has anyone tried using a powered USB hub to test this? I will be able to test this in about a week and report back. Not sure how those playing with the pinouts of their USB cables relate to these findings.

I have had 4 LG phones for the past 10 years, and have never had a problem - until now. Now, the support has been terrible. I am suffering with a phone that will not perform to its specifications, and I am not satisfied at all. I used to highly recommend LG phones, but I can't wait to switch over to a better Andoird device. I appreciate the upgrade to 2.2 (making Ally a usable device with more applications), but not at the cost of not being able to use it in the car.

I tried the USB debugging idea, no success, either. But I don't think it's an accident of forcing froyo on the ally, either. I've read online that its a design function of froyo/LG/verizon. The purpose, of course, would be to keep the accessories market to themselves. Greed.

Also, no arguement about the Google vs. Bing thing, but that's probably for a different thread! ;-)

Long and short, IMHO, if someone hasn't done it by now, it's time to bite the bullet and go buy the overpriced verizon accessories to keep your phone charged.

Yep found that my would charge for a couple of week s after the Froyo upgrade then today nothing. I did get it charged from a Motorola charger but it is the only one that worked. Haven't tried an LG charger tough.

Hi, My wife & I both have an Ally and we have a mix of genuine and aftermarket chargers (120v & 12v) and do not seem to be having a problem with charging using any of them.

I have other Froyo issues, but that is for another thread!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links