Froyo charging problem

This is a discussion on Froyo charging problem within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; So after purchasing the Ally, I bought a number of USB auto and wall chargers. I loved the fact that I could now charge my ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Froyo charging problem

So after purchasing the Ally, I bought a number of USB auto and wall chargers. I loved the fact that I could now charge my phone from my laptop, my car...all without dragging around special extra chargers like for my Palm.

That's the whole point of this new Micro-USB standard, right? We can charge anything with anything? I have a cigarette-lighter adapter for the car, and my wife can charge her IPOD and I can charge my phone, all at the same time. Great!

Well, not anymore. Today I was charging my phone with my laptop. Then I did the Froyo upgrade from Verizon.

Now I can't charge ANYWHERE on ANY of my adapters unless they are the official LG adapter. In fact, I had it "charging" in my car for several hours today while I was at work (my cigarette lighter is "always hot", I do this a lot), and when I came out it was still at 31% and said "connect your charger".

Tried my Ally and my wife's on several chargers. Same deal. Only works with the LG charger or on my USB hub, but then ONLY if the computer is booted up.

These are not no-name ones either, cheapest one I tried was Belkin.

I wish I had never upgraded....

Note this seems to be a Froyo, not an LG issue per se.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Hmmm...I have several LG chargers laying around the house since we've had a few LG phones and they all work. The one I have at my office is just the one that Verizon sells..seems to be a generic type micro USB charger since it isn't branded LG, but if I remember right, it charged the phone. I'll check when I get back to work on Monday to see if it actually IS charging it. Maybe I didn't need a charge the last day I worked...can't remember. I've slept since then ha.

I've looked around, and this is a complaint from other Android users since the Froyo update. It's not just an Ally problem at all.

All chargers will turn the red light on, but they won't say "charging" or make the little lightning bolt appear on the display over the battery. They *all* used to work.

I'm sure there are some generic chargers that do work. I want to know what is different.

I know Apple pulled this some time back, and there was a way to modify the USB charger to make the ipod/iphone accept it.

i havent had a problem, i've been charging mine with a blackberry charger. (came with my EnV Touch that i bought on ebay, go figure).

I have had that same issue. I plugged mine into my Tab via usb, and nothing..........no charging bolt, did not say it was charging.............Nothing............

Android Jr Member David Sevigny's Avatar
    all chargers OEM + aftermarket i own, charge without issue.

Well, all of mine worked fine until Froyo. There are a couple schemes that Apple has used, I'm going to try making an adapter cable tomorrow if I get a chance and see if it helps. Two tricks seem to be shorting the USB pins 2&3 together, and applying a couple voltages to the pins (sort of like mark and space on RS232) to see if I can fool it into thinking all is good.

So far, this upgrade has been a downgrade for me. My battery drains a lot faster and I can't recharge in my car or house anymore.

The charger that came with my phone (from Verizon) and says LG on it doesn't work! My car charger works and its a generic brand that I bought years ago. So I'm not feeling confident that a new LG charger will solve the problem.

OK, I may have inadvertently found a solution for the charging issue. I went to the settings menu, Applications, Development, and then unchecked the box next to USB debugging, which I had enabled for a particular application that I run frequently. Since the Froyo update I had been unable to charge via my car charger set up w/ 12V plug to usb female to a usb A to micro cord nor could I charge from my desktop computer w/o the particular application that I run on my laptop. I shut off the debugging and voila` it works again on my desktop computer. Now to try it in my car. Let me know if that works for you.

"settings menu, Applications, Development, and then unchecked the box next to USB debugging...and voila` it works again on my desktop computer." - This worked for me as well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links