OK, 2.2 - What Now?

This is a discussion on OK, 2.2 - What Now? within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; >> ... what's the purpose of doing a Factory Reset, when the OP said he was having no problem or issues with the update? Sometimes ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: OK, 2.2 - What Now?

>> ... what's the purpose of doing a Factory Reset, when the OP said he was having no problem or issues with the update?

Sometimes it is just better to start with a clean slate. And although I did NOT perform a factory reset before updating, I seem to be fine with my VZW Ally and 2.2.

Clint Bradford

yah, i get that generally speaking --

but Qasar said "strongly suggest" - implying there's something Very Important about doing it. so i wanna know what the deal is on that. - cause it seems like there would be no real importance to having the 'clean slate' if everything is running perfectly well as is.

If you got the upgrade and are not having issues than no you would not need to do a Factory Reset. However, I would say less than 5% of those who got the upgrade were that lucky.

The reason we suggest it at the start is because for the other 95% os the users, it will solve more problems in the long run. Since 2.2 also changed the way the SD Card is being used, we also suggest reformatting it on the phone.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    If you got the upgrade and are not having issues than no you would not need to do a Factory Reset. However, I would say less than 5% of those who got the upgrade were that lucky.

The reason we suggest it at the start is because for the other 95% os the users, it will solve more problems in the long run. Since 2.2 also changed the way the SD Card is being used, we also suggest reformatting it on the phone.

The option to reformat the SD card on my phone is grayed out; won't let me do it.
    "STAY THIRSTY MY FRIENDS"

Quote Originally Posted by Venez68 View Post
    The option to reformat the SD card on my phone is grayed out; won't let me do it.

1. backup any info off your SD card you want to keep

2. unmount your SD card

3. format

edit: I beat you by 1 min AA

Quote Originally Posted by Venez68 View Post

You to unmount the card first but before you do, make sure you backup any folders or files that you want to keep.
    Motorola Droid 4

What AA wrote! Also, you don't always see them but you have residual cache in your phone and on your SD Card from Apps you have uninstalled. I have gone through settings and found my phone has identified Apps that I have uninstalled a long time ago. These Apps could have written something to your secured "phone" files. The files that came on your phone are write-protected. That is why you cannot delete certain Apps, or you cannot delete the default sounds. For example, you have a list of default sounds and notifications hidden in "My Phone/System/Media/Audio" and "My Phone/System/Sounds." These have sub-folders for alarms, notifications, ringtones. These are your default sounds. You cannot remove these, but some Apps may be able to add to these folders. When you later remove the App, the uninstall process does not look in these folders for these residual files. IMO, with an update big enough to change where Apps are stored, people would be safer with a cleared phone.

(As a side note, I suspect this is also how some Apps are screwing with people's notification sounds, in general.)

Anyway, only the Devs (or the code) can tell you which Apps are going to mess with your internal phone system. Great Apps should include the wiping of ALL associated data when you uninstall that App. But this is not always the case. Which leads me to the SD Card. How many folders on your SD Card are from Apps that you have long uninstalled? Since this update has changed the way the phone stores and uses Apps, it is smart to start with an SD Card that is not covered in old junk. In this case I think of formatting the SD Card more as "defragmenting" the card instead of cleaning it. This, in theory, will stream-line the use of Apps that are stored on the SD Card.

I have read a whole lot of posts and I can confidently say that many who have had problems since the update have reported that a FR and SD Format have improved their problems. I wrote "strongly suggest" because there will always be some like yourself who have been very lucky or very smart about their App storage. Can you say it was smarts over luck? For myself, I can't. I pay close attention to what happens to my phone after I install anything and I still find junk weeks later from an App that I have uninstalled almost immediately after trying it. ...It's Open Source. What are you gonna do?!

PS- Even if you don't have a problem now, who is to say that a loose bit of data (that is not really necessary) would not create a conflict later down the road? IMO a FR would lessen the chances of this happening by removing all loose bits of data.

O-tay panky - that's what i was looking for, thanks Qasar. the defrag analogy made it much more clear.

And nope, it has little to do with smarts, and everything to do with luck! although i am an SW engineer and i do have some general idea of how this stuff works, and what to do and not do as regards an OS -- but only very generally speaking.

but it's also that i only just got the phone in october and have done basically nothing to it or with it - am a very "light usage" customer; pretty much talk and text only - don't use it for music or storing video, very few pics stored (i dump them all onto my laptop as soon as i take them) - and so i have nothing stored on the SD card and have only installed, like, three apps, and have tried and uninstalled only one, clear all caches every day, and could not care less that notification lights and sounds have changed, however the phone wants to notify me is fine, i just don't care, LOL

update went seamlessly so i'm confident i don't need to do an FR and am not going through all that hassle

I appreciate you taking the time to explain!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links