3G Mobile Hotspot

This is a discussion on 3G Mobile Hotspot within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; There have been a lot of questions about the 3G Mobile Hotspot. Here are the answers straight from Verzion: (Pay special attention to #6.) General ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3G Mobile Hotspot

There have been a lot of questions about the 3G Mobile Hotspot. Here are the answers straight from Verzion: (Pay special attention to #6.)

General Information
    1. What is the Verizon Wireless 3G Mobile Hotspot? The 3G Mobile Hotspot is an application that provides access to up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices, including notebooks, netbooks, MP3 players, cameras, PDAs, portable gaming systems and more. Back to top
    2. Which Verizon Wireless devices will offer the Palm® Mobile Hotspot application? The application will be available on the Palm Pre™ Plus and Palm Pixi™ Plus devices. Back to top
    3. How do I download the Palm® Mobile Hotspot application? You can download and install the application through the Palm App Catalog on your device. Back to top
    4. How does it work? The 3G Mobile Hotspot provides Wi-Fi access to up to four other Wi-Fi-enabled devices when you are within the Verizon Wireless Broadband Services Rate and Coverage Area. Back to top
    5. When using the Mobile Hotspot will I be able to use other applications and services on the device at the same time? Yes, you will be able to use other applications including: email, web browsing, text messaging and more while connecting up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices at once. When the Mobile Hotspot is connected, any data usage on either the device itself or through any Wi-Fi enabled devices will be subtracted from your 3G Mobile Hotspot monthly 5GB data allowance, rather than from your unlimited data allowance associated with your email and web for smartphone feature.* You can monitor your usage by logging into My Verizon.

* Activating the Palm Mobile Hotspot application requires you to subscribe to the Verizon Wireless 3G Mobile Hotspot feature, which includes a 5GB monthly allowance for an additional monthly charge. Any usage above the 5 GB monthly allowance will be billed at a per-MB rate. This feature is separate from your smartphone data feature. Please log in to your account at verizonwireless.com, select add a feature, and add the 3G Mobile Hotspot feature. When your smartphone is connected using Mobile Hotspot, all data sent or received by your smartphone (including data sent or received by any Wi-Fi devices connected to it, or by your smartphone itself) will be billed according to your 3G Mobile Hotspot feature, and not according to your smartphone data feature. Back to top
    6. Can I use my existing email and web for smartphone plan to access this functionality? No, the 3G Mobile Hotspot functionality is an additional optional feature that will have a $40 incremental cost with a 5GB data allowance with $0.05MB overage rate.
    Motorola Droid 4

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

I didnt see anything when I dabbled with it last night that said that there was a charge for it. UH OH!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    There have been a lot of questions about the 3G Mobile Hotspot. Here are the answers straight from Verzion: (Pay special attention to #6.)

[b]General Information
    1. [b]What is the Verizon Wireless 3G Mobile Hotspot? The 3G Mobile Hotspot is an application that provides access to up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices, including notebooks, netbooks, MP3 players, cameras, PDAs, portable gaming systems and more. Back to top
    2. [b]Which Verizon Wireless devices will offer the Palm® Mobile Hotspot application? The application will be available on the Palm Pre™ Plus and Palm Pixi™ Plus devices. Back to top
    3. [b]How do I download the Palm® Mobile Hotspot application? You can download and install the application through the Palm App Catalog on your device. Back to top
    4. [b]How does it work? The 3G Mobile Hotspot provides Wi-Fi access to up to four other Wi-Fi-enabled devices when you are within the Verizon Wireless Broadband Services Rate and Coverage Area. Back to top
    5. [b]When using the Mobile Hotspot will I be able to use other applications and services on the device at the same time? Yes, you will be able to use other applications including: email, web browsing, text messaging and more while connecting up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices at once. When the Mobile Hotspot is connected, any data usage on either the device itself or through any Wi-Fi enabled devices will be subtracted from your 3G Mobile Hotspot monthly 5GB data allowance, rather than from your unlimited data allowance associated with your email and web for smartphone feature.* You can monitor your usage by logging into My Verizon.

* Activating the Palm Mobile Hotspot application requires you to subscribe to the Verizon Wireless 3G Mobile Hotspot feature, which includes a 5GB monthly allowance for an additional monthly charge. Any usage above the 5 GB monthly allowance will be billed at a per-MB rate. This feature is separate from your smartphone data feature. Please log in to your account at verizonwireless.com, select add a feature, and add the 3G Mobile Hotspot feature. When your smartphone is connected using Mobile Hotspot, all data sent or received by your smartphone (including data sent or received by any Wi-Fi devices connected to it, or by your smartphone itself) will be billed according to your 3G Mobile Hotspot feature, and not according to your smartphone data feature. Back to top
    6. [b]Can I use my existing email and web for smartphone plan to access this functionality? No, the 3G Mobile Hotspot functionality is an additional optional feature that will have a incremental cost with a 5GB data allowance with

General Information
      1. What is the Verizon Wireless 3G Mobile Hotspot? The 3G Mobile Hotspot is an application that provides access to up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices, including notebooks, netbooks, MP3 players, cameras, PDAs, portable gaming systems and more. Back to top
      2. Which Verizon Wireless devices will offer the Palm® Mobile Hotspot application? The application will be available on the Palm Pre™ Plus and Palm Pixi™ Plus devices. Back to top
      3. How do I download the Palm® Mobile Hotspot application? You can download and install the application through the Palm App Catalog on your device. Back to top
      4. How does it work? The 3G Mobile Hotspot provides Wi-Fi access to up to four other Wi-Fi-enabled devices when you are within the Verizon Wireless Broadband Services Rate and Coverage Area. Back to top
      5. When using the Mobile Hotspot will I be able to use other applications and services on the device at the same time? Yes, you will be able to use other applications including: email, web browsing, text messaging and more while connecting up to five Wi-Fi enabled devices at once. When the Mobile Hotspot is connected, any data usage on either the device itself or through any Wi-Fi enabled devices will be subtracted from your 3G Mobile Hotspot monthly 5GB data allowance, rather than from your unlimited data allowance associated with your email and web for smartphone feature.* You can monitor your usage by logging into My Verizon.

6. Can I use my existing email and web for smartphone plan to access this functionality? No, the 3G Mobile Hotspot functionality is an additional optional feature that will have a $40 incremental cost with a 5GB data allowance with $0.05MB overage rate.
      .05MB overage rate.
    Thanx for the info. I hope that someone can get 2.2 rooted soon son I can get this bloatware off my phone. Lol

Android Lurker minroon@yahoo.com's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kfied View Post
    I didnt see anything when I dabbled with it last night that said that there was a charge for it. UH OH!!

I played with that too. The button you press to confirm says nothing about additional fees. It's sad that it lets you activate it without any sort of warning! I am so glad I read about it on this forum or I would have had a huge surprise on my bill!

Here's to hoping I'm not charged $40 for the 15 seconds I spent shocked when it was active!!

Mmmmm...bloatware!

Android Jr Member David Sevigny's Avatar
    no reply required.

just a side note; i already pay for my internet connection. wifi is my equipment. this feature does not apply to me.

yet it so irritates me that my cell phone provider offers a feature that uses a service i already pay for. i am confident that i will never utilize this 3g feature. yet what of those folk who haven't put these pieces 2gether?

2 not inform someone of an additional charge, seems an unethical endeavor.

IMO this challenges the deffinition of what an unlimited data package is. data, is data, which is data.

i don't get it. if i had no wifi, yet i used the 3g hotspot 4 my wii, with my unlimited data plan...does this mean that the term 'unlimited' only applies to the phone? if so, does this now change the form of data n2 2 catagories? regular data and premium data.

never the less it's all 3g. very clever. 4 those of you who are considering this feature as an option 2 save money; i urge you 2 compare the cost of internet access for around $45 with a wifi router.

verizons new "truly" 'unlimited' data plan is now $45.

Does this mean that apps like Wireless Tether and Barnacle won't work anymore? Or, will Verizon somehow know if we use those apps and charge us the same price as the 3G Mobile Hotspot? I'm thinking the answer is no but can someone confirm?

Quote Originally Posted by NoDumbFon View Post
    no reply required.

just a side note; i already pay for my internet connection. wifi is my equipment. this feature does not apply to me.

yet it so irritates me that my cell phone provider offers a feature that uses a service i already pay for. i am confident that i will never utilize this 3g feature. yet what of those folk who haven't put these pieces 2gether?

2 not inform someone of an additional charge, seems an unethical endeavor.

IMO this challenges the deffinition of what an unlimited data package is. data, is data, which is data.

i don't get it. if i had no wifi, yet i used the 3g hotspot 4 my wii, with my unlimited data plan...does this mean that the term 'unlimited' only applies to the phone? if so, does this now change the form of data n2 2 catagories? regular data and premium data.

never the less it's all 3g. very clever. 4 those of you who are considering this feature as an option 2 save money; i urge you 2 compare the cost of internet access for around with a wifi router.

verizons new "truly" 'unlimited' data plan is now .

if this charge is true, this smacks of a class action suit

the site to the OP no longer works: http://wirelesssuppo...sary/plans.html

does this apply to a feature already on a smartphone due to the OS or their actual separate mobile hotspot offer? http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/s...eCategoryId=13

Quote Originally Posted by Vol4one View Post
    Does this mean that apps like Wireless Tether and Barnacle won't work anymore? Or, will Verizon somehow know if we use those apps and charge us the same price as the 3G Mobile Hotspot? I'm thinking the answer is no but can someone confirm?

My guess is that regular WiFi on your phone is free and as long as you use it you won't be charged. Using the 3G app, Verizon can control the data and charge for it.
    Motorola Droid 4

My guess is that regular WiFi on your phone is free and as long as you use it you won't be charged. Using the 3G app, Verizon can control the data and charge for it.
    I called verizon they said an extra 20 a month for a 2gb data plan. That's crazy. Deffently something I'm not using

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads