windshield mount bracket for Ally

This is a discussion on windshield mount bracket for Ally within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; It's funny all the comments about going from Eclair to FroYo, and I really haven't seen a thread dedicated to the changes in the way ...

Thread: windshield mount bracket for Ally

It's funny all the comments about going from Eclair to FroYo, and I really haven't seen a thread dedicated to the changes in the way the Ally "boots up" to the dedicated windshield mount. It's probably because few people were willing to pony up the $30 or so Verizon charges for it. I work for a big, to-remain-nameless corporation that has a discount with VZ, and $23 was competitive, so I bought one.

In a word, it is brilliant, especially since the FroYo upgrade.

Using Near Field Communications technology, the bracket boots the Ally into the "car home" screen, which is designed for navigation. One touch on the home button, however, brings you back to the normal home pages. I use my Ally for my car stereo (blue tooth connection to a Sony aftermarket deck), and it keeps the phone awake so I can see what's playing when I'm listening to music in the random mode, which is all the time.

Even at 30 bucks, this is one slick accessory for the Ally, especially if you depend on your phone for navigation and/or music. (I use mine for both, constantly.)

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Quote Originally Posted by John23ally View Post
    It's funny all the comments about going from Eclair to FroYo, and I really haven't seen a thread dedicated to the changes in the way the Ally "boots up" to the dedicated windshield mount. It's probably because few people were willing to pony up the or so Verizon charges for it. I work for a big, to-remain-nameless corporation that has a discount with VZ, and was competitive, so I bought one.

In a word, it is brilliant, especially since the FroYo upgrade.

Using Near Field Communications technology, the bracket boots the Ally into the "car home" screen, which is designed for navigation. One touch on the home button, however, brings you back to the normal home pages. I use my Ally for my car stereo (blue tooth connection to a Sony aftermarket deck), and it keeps the phone awake so I can see what's playing when I'm listening to music in the random mode, which is all the time.

Even at 30 bucks, this is one slick accessory for the Ally, especially if you depend on your phone for navigation and/or music. (I use mine for both, constantly.)

Yep, I love the windshield mount, too.

Also love the little $7 desk chargers; have one at work and one at home.

I also work for a large corp with a Verizon discount so I bought both the desktop cradle and navigation mount. I paid $23 for each. The desktop cradle no longer works but the mount still does. I don't really see much improvement since Froyo.
    Motorola Droid 4

Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    I also work for a large corp with a Verizon discount so I bought both the desktop cradle and navigation mount. I paid for each. The desktop cradle no longer works but the mount still does. I don't really see much improvement since Froyo.

The big difference for me is that FroYo keeps my screen awake even when I'm not navigating, as long as it's plugged into a charger and I don't take it out of navigation mode. That means I can glance up at my phone and see what song is playing, as well as hit the pause button when I'm going through the drive-through, etc. Under 2.2, unless I was running navigation, the screen would go to sleep, and unless you took it off of navigation mode, every time you had to wake it up it would default to the navigation homescreen.

Now the screen will only go to sleep if I don't plug in the charger.

It's made a great difference in my user experience.

Android Jr Member RedDroid_lgally's Avatar
    I have not used the Nav Mount yet, but I do like the desktop cradle. I got the Ally on a special Cyber Monday deal. The phone was $29.99 and I got both mounts for free. Not sure if I would pay for them though. I can leave the phone on the console of the car and it gets the GPS signal just fine. I keep the desk cradle next to my bed as the clock will stay on all night and I use it as my alarm clock.

The biggest thing for me when driving is to be able to listen to my music and Pandora. I live in Phoenix and it's very easy to navigate here, so I really don't use the navigation. I like knowing it's there for going on a road trip, but that won't happen til the summer.

For me Froyo corrected the problems (SD card remounting) that I was having with the phone and I've been much happier. It does seem to lag a bit getting back to the home screen especially after leaving the Messaging screen, but that's been pretty minor. I just wish I could get rid of the Verizon bloatware without voiding my warranty. I mean, who the heck uses MySpace? CityID and Visual Voicemail would just add money to my monthly bill, but the one that gets me the most is Backup Assistant. I used it when I imported my contacts from my old phone, but then I realized that I would have 2 different types of contacts in the phone, Google and BA, I put everyone into Google and deleted them from Backup Assistant, but that stupid app still tries to run in the background constantly.

Quote Originally Posted by John23ally View Post

Hi guys (& gals) ...checking back in to the fourm after a couple of months of no issues with my Ally.

You are right..the windshield mount is great! I picked up the 'desk chargers' too. One each for me and the wife. The ONLY issue is if you have a protective cover (of which I've owned several, currently the high $ one from Verizon, & it has now outlasted 5 or more of the el-cheapos & paid for itself over and over again) you can't use the mount. However, the durability of the better made Verizon cover has been good enough that I have removed it and re-attached it a million times now, when moving my phone to the windshield mount or the cradle (the others would all break the 2nd or 3rd detachment) . Usually, I remove the cover for car use but, leave the cover on and just steal the cable out of the back of the desk mount when charging at home. All my vehicles now have an AUX port into the car stereo, so almost hands free phone calling (no, I don't turn on "auto answer"!), but I primarily use it in the car for streaming music via Pandora. For actual navigation, the windshield mount is awesome, although I usually get all my nav setup done with the keyboard and then slap it in the mount & off we go.

For my short daily commute, I leave the cover on, & just plug the aux plug into the phone and set it on the seat in case I get a phone call. If a call comes in, slide the slider (don't even have to look anymore) and whack AUX on the car stereo and chat away. If I am running Pandora, the phone interrupts the music, I take the call, and Pandora comes back on after the call is over. Awesome! If you have Vlingo installed, it will read your text messages too. I did not re-install that after the Froyo update. I figure texts can wait for 10 minutes...sometimes you CAN have too much connectivity.

I figured since we got the phones for "free", $30 for a couple of accessories was worth the hassle. I think I have a total of about $100 invested in Ally accessories for two phones (not counting the required monthly rip-off data plan by Verizon.)

One other quirk I've noticed is that with my aftermarket el-cheapo 12V charger cannot quite keep up with the Ally's battery needs under all conditions. If I have the nav actively running (GPS on), & the screen at 100% so I can see it in the daytime, the phone will ever so slowly discharge. I wonder if I try a real Verizon (LG) 12v charger if it would be able to do charge the phone under those conditions? Dimming the screen, or if I am on a long stretch of road and don't actively need the nav , I can turn off the screen and that helps and she will charge a little bit. I haven't confirmed this yet, but as I sit here and type, I also wonder if it is a heat issue..haven't tested in rainy vs. sunny conditions...i.e. maybe the battery is getting hot in the windshield?

This summer, just for fun, I am gonna try the windshield mount on the boat too, (old slow sailboat, phone will be down below, out of the weather) to see how my Navionics chart plotting software does! (great app for $10 and runs on the Ally no problem)

All you people with your huge HTC's & Droid X's & iPhone's that have to hold them down when you are driving so the cops can't see them and talk on speaker phone for "hands-free use" can...um..well, have fun with that!

+1 for the windshield mount!

I got the windshield mount when I got my Ally & only used it a couple of times before going to a universal dash mount. Reason why was my phone would overheat on the windshield when running navigation! The dash mount puts it next to an A/C vent and I can keep the phone nice and cool. I've also noticed that my "gennnnuwiiiine" Verizon-branded car charger won't keep up with power consumption if I've got nav, sync, and full screen brightness on. Normally I'll turn off the data sync using the Power widget, which usually is enough.

The phone doesn't use NFC to activate when you put it in the mount. It's actually a magnetic trigger that puts it into car or clock mode (with the nightstand mount). Also, there has always been a setting (Applications/Development) to keep the screen alive whenever the phone is charging. That's not just a Froyo feature.

I've been meaning to sell my windshield mount. Anyone interested, drop me a message with an offer. It's barely been used.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links