VZN text message notifying of upcoming upgrade?

This is a discussion on VZN text message notifying of upcoming upgrade? within the LG Ally forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; Originally Posted by Abe I upgraded this morning. The only change I've seen so far is my non gmail emails do not disappear after reading ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: VZN text message notifying of upcoming upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    I upgraded this morning. The only change I've seen so far is my non gmail emails do not disappear after reading them at home and deleting them. I get emails during the day using my comcast email, I do not delete after reading because as you know we have to delete twice for each email. Until the update, I would go home at night read/delete my email using outlook, the next time I received (manual) comcast email on my phone all the old emails would automativcally disappear. I don't like this change!

Same here. I liked the way the emails dissapeared on my phone after I downloaded them at home. Now I have to delete them from the phone too.
    Motorola Droid 4

Android Jr Member RedDroid_lgally's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ally Android View Post
    Same here. I liked the way the emails dissapeared on my phone after I downloaded them at home. Now I have to delete them from the phone too.

Are you using POP or IMAP for your email accounts?

I did some checking in my phone and compared some settings to what I had before the 2.2.2 update. LG/Android/Verizon (who knows) changed the server settings on my incoming and outgoing mail.

This is for a Yahoo account, I'm afraid I just use them and gmail, so I can't speak to how Comcast or another mail reacts.

2.2.1 incoming server: imap.mail.yahoo.com outgoing server: smtp.mail.yahoo.com

2.2.2 incoming server: android.imap.mail.yahoo.com outgoing server: android.smtp.mail.yahoo.com

I changed the settings back to what they were in 2.2.1 and now the email is exactly the same on my phone as on my computer. If I use a mail client on a computer I own (Outlook, Thunderbird, Live Mail), I set those accounts up as IMAP as well so that my inbox stays the same between the phone and PCs or using the mail through a browser. Switching back to the old setting allowed me to mark messages as unread on my computer and show back up as unread on the Ally. It doesn't use the same push notification as gmail or an account set up as an exchange server, but when in doubt, I can always do a refresh on the phone and it will sync up to match what the computer says.

If you use POP mail it can be a bit more tricky. If your account is set up as POP, check with your provider or do a web search to see if they have alternate IMAP settings. You may have to do a manual setup of the account. I remembered I had an unused Hotmail account. When I put it in the phone just with email address and password, it set it up as a POP account. I found online the way to set it up as an IMAP account (actually Exchange).

Setting up Yahoo! for IMAP: http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mai...wqUOEkqCb2gHpG

IMAP for Hotmail Actually talks about an iPhone, but it worked for me and was mentioned in comments that it worked for others with Android 2.2

Quote Originally Posted by RedDroid View Post

I am using POP and I don't see any changes to the setting from the update.

For the purpose of this example, let me use the following definitions:

Server: Maintained by your email provider, receives your messages and stores them.

Phone: Your Ally using the default Email application.

Computer: Another PC (or Mac) that is also accessing your email.

eMail App: An application used on a computer to access a POP mail account such as Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail.

Web Client: A website or applet allowing you to access your email through a web browser.

Your emails all come into the Server that is maintained by your provider: (hotmail, comcast, cox, yahoo, gmail, etc). In POP mail the mail can be accessed using your Phone, a Web Client, or by a Computer using an eMail App.

Each email message has a unique ID on the Server. The Phone, Web Client and eMail Apps keep a database of these message IDs as to not download the same message twice. If the Phone, or eMail App is set to delete messages from the Server when they are deleted from the Phone or eMail App, the message ID is used to do that. If a message is deleted from the Server before your Phone, eMail App or Web Client has seen that message, it will not be downloaded.

If you download a message to your phone first and read it, it will still show up as unread on your Computer's eMail App or Web Client. If the Phone is set to do nothing when a message is deleted on the Phone, the message will still show up on your eMail App or Web Client. This appears to be the default for the Phone on a POP account. This setting can be checked on your Phone by pressing Menu and going to Incoming Settings. Under "Delete email from server" you are given the option of Never (recommended) and "When I delete from Inbox". I would stick with the Never option in nearly every situation. eMail Apps can also be set to delete messages from the Server when they are deleted thru the eMail App. If the Computer is the last place you view a message, you can set your eMail App to do this. When deleting a message through your Web Client, this generally serves to delete the message from the Server.

On a Computer, the eMail App can be set to download all messages to the Computer and remove them from the Server. This was the norm back when people used only one computer to access their email and also had a limited amount of storage with their Provider. Keep in mind that if a message is removed (or deleted) from the Server before your Phone, Web Client or eMail app has seen it, it won't see that message.

If ALL the following statements were previously true (for a POP mail account) for a given message X:

1. I read message X on my Phone first.

2. I later downloaded a copy of message X to my Computer using an eMail App or viewed message X on a Web Client.

3. Message X was deleted from the Server using the eMail app or Web Client.

4. Message X no longer shows up on Phone without having selected it to be deleted form the Phone.

THEN the Email App in the Ally used to refresh with the Server and removed messages that were no longer on the Server.

My own testing shows that this is not the case currently. I don't know if Google/LG/Verizon made a change to this for a particular reason. I do not see a setting in the Phone to do that type of sync.

If you always had to delete messages from your Phone, eMail App and Server (through Web Client), then the POP mail seems to be working as intended. Which is a pain in the neck for sure.

If your provider has IMAP, I would certainly switch my Phone to it. If you are able to make the switch to IMAP, make sure to change the account on your Computer's eMail App to also use IMAP. Alternatively, you can just stop using the eMail App in favor of only using a Web Client. Yahoo for instance supports IMAP on mobile devices, but does not support it in an eMail App.

If at all possible, IMAP is the best way to access your email when using multiple devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Abe View Post
    I am using POP and I don't see any changes to the setting from the update.

Abe, I did some looking and it appears that Comcast doesn't support IMAP. I did find a Comcast XFINITY Mobile app in the Android Market: https://market.android.com/details?i...cast.ottclient

I'm not sure how this interfaces with your setup at home. I don't have Comcast to know what they do now.

Here is something I found on Comcast's website: http://forums.comcast.com/t5/E-Mail-...714933#M150654

It seems people set up their Comcast mail to forward to another service that supports IMAP. Your Ally will support more than one Gmail account so you could set up an account to receive your Comcast email. You can set the outgoing server information on your Phone to match the Outgoing server setting for Comcast, so your messages should show up as being from your Comcast account. If you still want to access the email at home the same way you do now, set your Comcast email to forward a Copy of each message as opposed to the entire message. You can use another provider if you don't want another Gmail account.

I've moved around enough that I don't used the email accounts provided to me by my Internet provider. When you move (or switch to a competitor), Comcast, Cox or another company won't happily forward you any old messages. I used Gmail and Yahoo so that my addresses stay the same no matter where I live or which company I use to get online.

I hope this helps you out.

Wow!! Thanks for all the effort and info. When I have a chance I'll have to do some research to see what do to, or i can just leave it as is. I do have a gmail account and should probably start to convert everything over as I'm not sure how long we will will stay with comcast. We have been with comcast since before when it was called ATTBI (I think that is what is was called), many years, but they continually keep uping the cost.

Thanks again!

Abe

Quote Originally Posted by RedDroid View Post

My personal email account is POP3. I usr goDaddy to host my domains, and IMAP wasn't available with my hosting plan. I just upgraded to the unlimited plan so it should now be available but I have not had time to look at it.
    Motorola Droid 4

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links