G2X Problems

This is a discussion on G2X Problems within the LG G2x forums, part of the LG Android Phones category; I discover why the phone was getting warm with heavy use and charge what I found was I fully discharged the battery down to zero ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: G2X Problems

I discover why the phone was getting warm with heavy use and charge what I found was I fully discharged the battery down to zero then I did a full charge and I notice as I was charging it is no longer warm it was at normal temperature and also not as hot with heavy use after the charge. I would be willing you bet the heat from the battery is what is causing a lot of the people that complain about the phone shutting down and rebooting. So I recommend if you're having any these issues that discharger battery fully and then recharge and see if that helps

That's good to know. Glad it's working for you without heating up.

Unhappy Other problems besides reboot

I have had my LG G2X now for four days. I've had it reboot 3 random times, none of which i encountered any heating issues. I thought the first two times it rebooted cuz I hadn't been actively using it for a few hours, but the third time it rebooted while I was using it. Also, today i tried sending a two texts then made a phone call and nothing went through (yes, i paid my bill); a message popped up that said "call clearing is going on, try again." i waited a bit, tried, and it did work but i don't understand what that was about. shortly after that, i received a text and up in notification bar it showed the last word of the text message only, and no text icon stayed on to notify me i had an unread text.

lots of weird little bugs here. i am thinking i am going to trade the G2X in for an HTC Sensation. i love the G2X very much outside of these issues, but they are annoying! i don't want to sound rude but i paid $300 for this new phone and i shouldn't have to trade it in or deal with these types of issues. don't release a phone if it has lots of bugs and tell your customers everything will be smoothed over with an impending software update.

Unfortunately there is no way to know if all the phones are working properly. They test every so many and if they tested them all we wouldn't see a new phone except once a year. Quality control can't catch all the problem phones. I wish they could.
    Last edited by SLAG IT!; 06-15-2011 at 08:39 PM.

Super Moderator/RS furbearingmammal's Avatar
    Two hours north of Syracuse, NY. Yes, there IS civilization that far north.
    Twitter
    FurryVarmint
    You and me both, Slag It!
    DO NOT WRITE IN THIS SPACE
    THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

These things are a total nightmare and one of the best examples of a good idea with poor execution and even worse quality control. I would liken it to the Ford “Edsel” of phones, except even the Edsel responded when you pressed the gas.

I am on my third with a need for a fourth. My wife is on her second. I’ve heard some people on their 6th+? Until the Sensation came out, there was nothing comparable from T-Mo, so there was no point in raising a big stink since all it was going to get me was another defective, remanufactured G2x. I am coming from Sprint, so maybe they set the bar too high with their service and reliability, but half of the time I cannot even make a call out, and forget about incoming calls. I might as well have the phone off, if it hasn’t turned itself off already. I thought my Samsung Moment was bad enough to jump ship for the G2x, but in comparison, that old thing is finely polished.

The <10% of the time it is working properly (or appears to be), it’s a beautiful phone if you can get past the backlight bleed which definitely seems to get worse with time and each successive replacement. It has the potential to be a rocket, but with rampant quality control, this thing is permanently grounded. T-Mo claims to be out of stock due to “high demand”, but that must only be from warranty replacements. The manager at my local corporate store said he had a back room full of them that he couldn’t sell.

Have you had any of these unacceptable issues?
    -Consuming batteries
    -Failure to hold a charge (or even get above 10%)
    -Overheating, even at strange times
    -Random rebooting, powering off, powering on, etc.
    -Noxious odor from battery compartment
    -Failure to make outgoing calls
    -Failure to receive inbound calls
    -Even when inbound calls come through, unable to answer due to screen
    -Failure to receive voicemail
    -Sudden lack of support for Name ID
    -Dropped data connections
    -Staying “stuck” in 2G in a known 4G area
    -GPS taking excessively long to lock on to location
    -Bluetooth won’t auto connect
    -Wi-Fi loses connection, exacerbates other conditions
    -Backlight “bleed” (at all 4 corners)
    -Failure to make 911 calls
    -Whining noise coming from 3.5 audio jack when plugged in
    -SIM card error, stuck in “Emergency Only Mode”
    -Constant “failure to connect to network”, even though it appears to be connected
    -Very poor download speeds (<1Mbps in major downtown area)
    -Video chat? Forget it. Does LG make Qik too?

I really want to love this phone, but it lost my blessing after the third handset exchange. Some people might cut their losses here and live with it, YOU SHOULDN’T! Absolutely do not tolerate these failures, especially for what we paid for these phones. If it was a “free” phone, I probably wouldn’t be complaining as much.

Know what your consumer rights are and who to talk to. Here are some tips based on my hours upon hours of dealing with countless T-Mo reps and managers:
    1. “Ground level” reps will only exchange your G2x for another, remanufactured G2x (with no new battery), and some will only do this if you complain enough and/or speak to a supervisor. They will walk you through the typical “water damage” and “master reset” steps before sending out a replacement. Some reps will charge you for shipping, some won’t. I was never charged for shipping until my 5th (my wife’s second) G2x. Even then, after speaking with a supervisor, they waived it on the “ground” shipping. Even still, it took better than a week to get here.
    2. If you make a big enough stink, you will get the phone number to the “Customer Loyalty Department”. It is (800) 937-8997. You will need to speak “Customer Loyalty” into the IVR system and confirm you are speaking with a “Customer Loyalty” representative. Based on my previous call center management experience (from a long time ago), this is their level 2 escalation department.
    3. T-Mo has an “unwritten”/”unofficial” policy (confirmed by 2 reps and a store manager) that they will typically replace your handset for a different model after your third handset of the same type fails. The problem is, T-Mo will claim that their system says there is no “comparable model” to the G2x, so all they will claim to do is exchange it for another G2x. At this point, I would have taken a MyTouch or anything that worked, but they made the mistake of saying “no”.
    4. After escalating to a supervisor of the “Customer Loyalty” department and after he apparently spoke to his supervisor, they claimed they could exchange it for anything but an HTC Sensation, obviously the most comparable model. The gentleman, “Alan”, told me to research my choice and he would call me in the morning and place the order. I never heard back from him.
    5. At this point, if you haven’t already, FILE A COMPLAINT WITH THE WASHINGTON BBB. This is a good start and this requires them to make a good-faith effort at a resolution. Some other actions of recourse include filing complaints with the various state Attorney Generals offices, the FCC, and the FTC. Your state may also give you specific legal rights pertaining to warranties, otherwise you’re covered under the federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act of 1975. This doesn’t afford you much additional protection, but if you plan to pursue action against LG as well, this would be one of the acts to cite. Some states have universal “lemon laws” that work similar to those found on motor vehicles.
    6. According to another internet source, the BBB receives 20-25 complaints against T-Mo per day, so they have their hands full. Give them some time. It took about 2 weeks for my claim to be reviewed and filed with T-Mobile.
    7. At this point, you’ll be stuck in an endless loop with “Customer Loyalty” until the “Executive Response Team” becomes aware of your BBB complaint. The “Executive Response Team” will refer your complaint to the “Office of the President”, who I believe the ERT is a division of. You’re at their mercy at this point because they have your phone number but they won’t give you theirs. Miss their call and wait another day. Their inbound line is (877) 290-6323. They will likely refuse to speak to you until they receive a formal complaint and place your account “under investigation”.
    8. Eventually, after countless hours of work and frustration (and rampant inconsistency among different reps), you should be contacted by someone from that ERT/Office of the President team and be offered some sort of compromise. This is where I stand right now. I was told they are willing to exchange my wife and my G2x’s for any other phone (but not a tablet, which is fine), as long as they have it in stock.
    I’ll be taking a Sensation myself and my wife has yet to decide. She is so convinced that it is going to burst into flames that she leaves it, battery out. Mine was in my shirt pocket the other day and it just started heating up like an oven. Before long, it felt like I dropped a cigarette in my pocket. I tried to turn it off, but it just kept turning back on. At the same time, a strong smell was coming from inside the phone (not the battery, the phone). If this phone does anything good, it plays music. It’s basically a $500 iPod that, as long as it’s not plugged in to power, has decent sound. That’s about all it’s good for and the only reason I still carry it around. Still, I would be prepared to contact an attorney when it burns your house down.

I heard about a horrific accident involving a UPS plane and their first accident in over 30 years. From what I was told (through another UPS pilot), the plane was carrying a batch of cell phones and a fire started somehow mid-flight. I guess Li-Ion batteries are just as bad as gasoline. The fire spread so quickly that the flight crew had no time to take corrective action and unfortunately, perished. Folks, my point is, I think these phones are not only just a little “buggy”. I think they are downright dangerous, as is any device using a Li-Ion battery which often loses control of it’s own charging mechanism.

The fact that I’m married to an attorney has helped me in researching consumer rights. I have not had to threaten to sue yet at this point, but I am prepared to if I don’t get the resolution I was promised.

My wife says that a class-action suit will likely follow against either T-Mo and/or LG, though more than likely LG unless it can be proven that T-Mo knew about these problems and continued selling them.

Finally, for those one or two people who are going to accuse me of “cheating” the system just to get the next new phone, from what I hear, the Sensation has issues of its own. I would prefer a “good” G2x, but I don’t have the time nor energy to go through a dozen trying to find one needle in a haystack of should-be rejects.

I wanted to return it during the 14/30-day period, but A) there was nothing comparable, and B) I was assured that all of these issues would be corrected with the 2.3 update which was always due "by the end of the month". They probably won't release it on the G2x because of the black menu bar and the horrible backlight bleed. They will get a rash of returned handsets.

I hope this is somewhat helpful. I will report back once I hear about the finalized resolution. I’m sure it will come with some sort of provision that I drop my complaints against T-Mo. That all depends on if I’m satisfied with the result.
    Last edited by genehaggerty; 06-17-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Hmmm!
    Last edited by SLAG IT!; 06-17-2011 at 04:26 PM.

Finally... a Resolution?

I posted earlier on my experiences in dealing with T-Mobile and trying to get my G2x's replaced.

I am happy to report that my executive contact honored her word and gave me the "pick of the house". I am a fairly heavy user and multi-tasker, so I decided to give the Sensation a try, despite early claims of antenna issues and (relatively minor) glitches, compared to the G2x. I am inclined to trust HTC and their build quality much more than LG. My overall experience with LG has been mixed, but my father purchased a large LG plasma television and it failed (actually "blew up" and started smoking, supposedly) one day out of warranty. I had to help him go through the same sort of hoops to get some sort of resolution (unfortunately for him, he bought it from Circuit City, which ceased to exist along with its sales records and warranties, which made it very difficult).

My wife ended up choosing a Samsung Galaxy S 4G as her choice, actually a respectable offering from Samsung that I didn't really even knew existed until a day ago. Her main focus is on phone calls, photos/videos and e-mail. She originally just had a "I'll take what he's having" approach and wanted a Sensation, but I was able to talk her into something more suitable for her, as I really think the Sensation is overkill for her needs. This wouldn't be an issue if battery life was infinite, but this is also a big deal for her as she spends most of her day in the field. Nothing can beat that SuperAMOLED screen and the battery savings that comes with it, versus the Sensation.

The executive contact I spoke with was very friendly and professional and really seemed to care, which was in stark contrast to most of the T-Mo supervisory-level persons I dealt with previously. I quickly had to change my tone when I finally discovered that she not only wanted to help me, but was actually able to, instead of routing me to another department for review. T-Mo definitely needs some more empowerment further down the chain. One shouldn't need to contact the Office of the President to get a resolution. If anyone from T-Mo reads this, consider it a free failure analysis.

Overall, am I happy? Was it worth it?

I guess only time will tell. I am happy that I finally got through to somebody who had the power to actually do something. The amount of time and effort it took to get that far was very excessive. I hope I have helped to eliminate a few steps for everyone else by posting here. I am not trying to circumvent the natural flow process for T-Mobile, but I cannot tolerate "There's nothing I can do". Somebody, somewhere can always do something.

I would say that if you're one of the few who has a "good" G2x, and can tolerate the light bleeding that plagues every single one I've seen, hang onto it for now. I still think that when it works, it's a wonderful phone. It's such a shame that LG botched up the design and production so poorly. T-Mobile and LG will eventually need to address the expectations of existing G2x owners. Whether that takes a subpoena from a class action, we'll see. The real question is whether any laws are actually being violated by manufacturing or offering for sale a knowingly-defective product. And... whether those defects pose a safety threat. That could add merit. I believe they do.

I know I can be long winded, but I hope all of this information helps at least one other G2x owner who has been beating their head against the wall trying to get what they paid for and expected. This matter has consumed my life for the past couple of weeks. After all of that work, I get a couple of new phones. Is it a win-win? Hardly. In fact, everybody loses:

LG: Loses customers, reputation soiled
    T-Mobile: Loses customers, establishes negative customer service reputation, is on the hook for replacements
    I: Lose what was supposed to be "the best", many hours of my life, some hair, and some confidence in T-Mobile

Am I completely satisfied? No. Now if I had been able to exchange them in-store and not wait a week for shipping, and get credit for the cases we bought from T-Mo for the G2x's, that would have just about canceled out my negative experiences. I am, however, satisfied enough to drop my BBB complaint and shred my letters to the various governmental agencies. I was told that I would still have an exchange period, as do new customers, to try out the new phones. I sure hope they work out.

Anybody here have any experience with the Galaxy S or Sensation?

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by genehaggerty View Post
    Anybody here have any experience with the Galaxy S or Sensation?
    Long winded? Maybe. Unnecessary? No. It gets your thoughts across appropriately.

As for the Galaxy S or Sensation, I have 2 Galaxy S devices... The AT&T Captivate and Infuse, and the Galaxy S II. I've only ever dealt with Samsung devices because of their bootloader policies and their hardware. HTC just has never really had hardware that I really wanted, but their designs are nice, and they certainly have their following.

I can attest, though, that the Galaxy S phones are VERY hard to beat quality wise. And the Galaxy S II is exactly the same.

Need Assistance? Contact me at dorian@android.net

Samsung makes some of the best hardware. Htc updates the OS more often. They both manufacture quality phones. Lg is still relatively new to the game of smartphones. However, they have come out swinging hard and fast. I realize the g2x has been a nightmare for you. Hopefully, the sensation and galaxy 4g will work for you and your wife.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links