Hard Case of Soft Case

This is a discussion on Hard Case of Soft Case within the Motorola Backflip Accessories forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; Which do you think protects better? I think a nice, not a cheapo, rubber case might be best as the rubber has some give and ...

Thread: Hard Case of Soft Case

Hard Case of Soft Case

Which do you think protects better?

I think a nice, not a cheapo, rubber case might be best as the rubber has some give and will make a drop of the phone takes less impact on the internal mechanisms seeing as it has some give.

Hard cases on the other hand, simply prevent scratches but the impact may very well rattle the phone just the same as if there was no protector on there at all, but in the end there probably less likley to break then a rubberized one.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I have spent a lot of time pondering this as well

Personally I would think that a hard case will spread the impact and thus protect the outer casing of the phone (including the screen) in the case of a drop, but yeah, I imagine the g-forces experienced by the internal components would be pretty much the same.

On the other hand a soft case like silicone would cushion the impact slightly, but would not really spread it. Also some soft skins cover a few device seams and thus might add a slight amount of moisture resistance...

Skins like invisible shield protect from scratches, but I would think they are too thin to make a significant difference against impact.

My personal favorite case that I have tried (on my previous device, an Xperia X1) is a soft case from BoxWave called "Crystal Slip" (Pure Crystal Slip - Xperia X1 Case / Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 Case / Xperia X1 Pure Crystal Slip Case / Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 Pure Crystal Slip Case), it is a bit stiffer then most silicone cases.

It's not available for the backflip yet though... But perhaps if enough of us request it (Request BoxWave Products for Your Device) they will make it soon!

I think otterbox thought the same thing too. So they took both and combined them.

Otterbox.com

Quote Originally Posted by acmasters View Post
    I have spent a lot of time pondering this as well

Personally I would think that a hard case will spread the impact and thus protect the outer casing of the phone (including the screen) in the case of a drop, but yeah, I imagine the g-forces experienced by the internal components would be pretty much the same.

On the other hand a soft case like silicone would cushion the impact slightly, but would not really spread it. Also some soft skins cover a few device seams and thus might add a slight amount of moisture resistance...

Skins like invisible shield protect from scratches, but I would think they are too thin to make a significant difference against impact.

My personal favorite case that I have tried (on my previous device, an Xperia X1) is a soft case from BoxWave called "Crystal Slip" (Pure Crystal Slip - Xperia X1 Case / Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 Case / Xperia X1 Pure Crystal Slip Case / Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 Pure Crystal Slip Case), it is a bit stiffer then most silicone cases.

It's not available for the backflip yet though... But perhaps if enough of us request it (Request BoxWave Products for Your Device) they will make it soon!
    I requested it!

Quote Originally Posted by DeadBeatNova View Post
    I think otterbox thought the same thing too. So they took both and combined them.

Otterbox.com
    Yeah, those look pretty impressive. I wouldn't mind having a 'commuter' for my BackFlip

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links