Backflip Antenna Booster???

This is a discussion on Backflip Antenna Booster??? within the Motorola Backflip Accessories forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; Guys.. I recently bought a Backflip and i am very happy with the performance and everything. But i don't have a proper 3G at my ...

Thread: Backflip Antenna Booster???

Backflip Antenna Booster???

Guys.. I recently bought a Backflip and i am very happy with the performance and everything. But i don't have a proper 3G at my work location, which is consuming my battery life and my phone gets hot very fast when i am on call with anyone. So can you please suggest any antenna boosters or solutions for my problem?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

i found out something very surprising the other day about this phone, actually the reason that back is aluminum is because it is part of the antenna system. when you take off the battery door look for 7 gold pins, those are supposed to be receptors for the phone to the antenna, so if you don't have good 3g its your location and not the phone. im just saying thought it might help you.

Try positioning your hand differently around the phone - such as try holding with two fingers at the bottom. Watch the bars for about 20-30 seconds and se if your signal improves. Sometimes this will help me a good bit for me when I have a crappy signal showing.

If the metal backplate is indeed part of the antenna, then making sure your hands aren't covering it may help the signal reception in bad areas. I was wondering why it was metal instead of plastic....never occured to me it could be an external antenna. DOH !

First, we need to define what an Antenna Booster is. Are we talking about a secondary antenna, an actual RF booster or something else.

I'm not going to talk about RF boosters. I don't have any experience there.

In the area of secondary antennas, Wilson Electronics makes excellent powered and unpowered antennas for cell phones. These products can be pricey, though. When purchasing, you need to purchase a cable, a connector for your phone and some sort of base as the antenna does not usually come with these. The up side to this set up is that if you ever change phones, all you need to do is purchase a new connector and you are back in business. I have seen these antennas get cell signal in the most desolate areas of the country with out any problems. You can find these antennas in truck stops throughout the country. Truckers have used them for years.

Now, to the famous (infamous?) Antenna Extender Stickers. I use these. Just don't believe the hype.
    1.. Yes, these stickers are based on sound science and engineering principles. They're not voodoo or magic.
    2.. You are not going to get perfect reception everywhere with these things. (i.e. in an elevator.)
    3.. Placement is everything with these little things. If you put one in the wrong place on the phone, it won't help.

These little stickers show their best results if you are in an area where signal is weak, but not totally out. For instance, in my apartment, I could not walk around while on the phone. If I did, signal would drop in certain rooms. Adding one of these little boosters stopped that. At about $1 a piece, they are worth it.

I got one for my phone as well. I haven't had too much problem with the signal.

What might these stickers be as I run in & out of weak signals? At that "investment" might as well try. Where can they be acquired?

Quote Originally Posted by Ouiski2 View Post
    What might these stickers be as I run in & out of weak signals? At that "investment" might as well try. Where can they be acquired?
    I've used www.cellphoneshop.net for years. Doing a search in any search engine for cell phone antenna booster will probably turn up a few hundred other locations.

Placement is important so were do you guys think a good place is to put one on the backflip?

You can buy them dirt cheap on ebay. You can buy them in singles or but them in like a 50 pack for $5 or so. I used to buy them at whole sale for similar prices, charge $5-$10 resale value and they sold like crazy. I once had an old couple that lived in a rural area buy 2 off me, and then turn around and bought 10 or so as x-mas presents because they worked so well.

@TIzcoman, I believe there designed to usually be place under the battery.
    Motus MB300(Backflip)_2.1 Preclair Beta1 by j_r0dd

Quote Originally Posted by Tizocman View Post
    Placement is important so were do you guys think a good place is to put one on the backflip?
    The sticker needs to be as close to the antenna as possible. On most phone this is under the battery as close as possible to a long edge of the phone. From what I have read the Backflip has a different antenna design that incorporates the battery/sdcard cover plate. With that in mind, I have placed mine just under the cover plate on top of the battery.

You can experiment with this, though. The sticker usually comes attached to a marketing card by the protective backing for the adhesive. You do not need to remove this backing. Just place the sticker where you think it should go and the tight fit of the cover will hold it in place.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links