Android 2.1 on Motorola Backflip

This is a discussion on Android 2.1 on Motorola Backflip within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; Does anyone have any word on the Backflip running an Android 2.1 image from the Nexus One or compiled from source?...

Thread: Android 2.1 on Motorola Backflip

Admin

Question Android 2.1 on Motorola Backflip

Does anyone have any word on the Backflip running an Android 2.1 image from the Nexus One or compiled from source?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Hey everyone new to the forums here, I hope to find alot of information and a good backflip community. I am also very curious as to when the 2.1 will be available. I'm looking forward to having google navigation. I came from an IPHONE 3G and so far I'm loving the Android OS. So much more you can do with this phone that the iphone can not do.

Also looking forward to some interesting hacks and discussion.

From what the motorola rep told me. We should be seeing the upgrade anytime before the first half of 2010.. So anytime before june/july.

Thats good. Remember hearing late august/early september.

Was talking to a rep, and according to him third-party apps will be allowed once 2.1 is pushed to the Backflips. This could be a marketing ploy to keep Backflip owners from returning the phone, though. Trying to have some faith here, and see if it will actually happen.

The problem, as pointed out by some of the motorola people and in a few other places is that MotoBlur hasn't been ported to 2.1 yet. (Actually, looking at the status of some other phones I'm going with, 'hasn't been released' rather then hasn't been ported; I'm pretty sure they're a way through the development cycle.) Still, what this means is that you can't use the N1's source and just build a rom for the backflip; rather we'll need to wait till, say, the Cliq is ported to 2.1, and then steal that code, and port.

What I've been looking at doing is following Motorola's lead, and upgrading/porting certain pieces of the 1.5 rom to 2.0 or 2.1. (for example, the backflip uses 1.6's messenger application, not 1.5's.)

This is all assuming we can get a build that the phone will take; signing the update.zip correctly is proving to be a pain.

whats going to be easier. replicating the signature or altering the bootloader to not require them ?

Chicken and egg issue there. You can't replace the bootloader unless you break the signature check, or find some privilege escalation exploit somewhere...

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links