installing apps not in marketplace

This is a discussion on installing apps not in marketplace within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; Originally Posted by driftchick just as a say-say sort of thing. androidfreeware.org isn't a bad place to download some apk files/apps that aren't available in ...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: installing apps not in marketplace

Quote Originally Posted by driftchick View Post
    just as a say-say sort of thing.
    androidfreeware.org isn't a bad place to download some apk files/apps that aren't available in the market. doesn't have EVERYTHING, just more of the more popular ones :]
    the panda chinese thing worked tho! thanks! :D now i get touchpal again
    where did you get touchpal? I cant find it

o about the sdk thing, can we download the 2.1 sdk from that android developer site as a manual upgrade? :]

Quote Originally Posted by dk10016 View Post
    Are you actually running a 64 bit OS? (I don't mean to sound rude) If so, and it's not working, have you tried the 32 bit drivers? They should be the same thing pretty much

Yes you'll need to install the drivers first.
    (I'm not sure if you'll need those drivers to use PC Suit though.. I don't think I had them when I created that guide).
    The 32 bit drivers did install w/ no errors. I thought I had to have both. To be honest I have no clue what they do or how to use them.:confused:

I'm on a steep learning curve here, forgive my ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by burgessa23 View Post
    where did you get touchpal? I cant find it
    I googled and found this: Welcome to CooTek - TouchPal, an innovative soft keyboard

Quote Originally Posted by driftchick View Post
    o about the sdk thing, can we download the 2.1 sdk from that android developer site as a manual upgrade? :]
    Don't think so, sorries.

Quote Originally Posted by jpwarrior View Post
    The 32 bit drivers did install w/ no errors. I thought I had to have both. To be honest I have no clue what they do or how to use them.:confused:

I'm on a steep learning curve here, forgive my ignorance.
    Okay good, I'm glad the 32 bit ones worked. Well, the drivers just allow the software to work with the phone. Those drivers only apply to the 1st original post of this thread, though.

Look at my post, #22 on page 3. That seems to be the easiest way to install applications on this phone without using the Android market. Hope this helps!

As far as the panda suite goes, does anyone else still get a lot of "asian" language throughout the program even after changing the language to English? It changed many of the buttons and the right click menu from the tray for me, but there is still a TON of non english content for me.
    Don't speak to me of the crunch. You know nothing of the crunch.
    You've never even been to the crunch.

Awesome, got it work and got iMusic installed.

I am really lost (mac osX here)

I download SDK.. then where does it go? and what program do I use to install the APK files?

Something I came across:
    We all know of the onnline app markets such as AndroLib and Appbrain. Recently I discovered Appbrain as an app (currently in the Backflip Marketplace) that allows you to download/install apps from their site to your phone. No USB, No SDK, and most importantly, not blocked due to security. I tried and it installed just fine.

Now what if this could be emulated to include other markets or sites. Or modified to do the same with maybe apk's on the SD card? Just something to think about.

Appbrain only allows you to install apps which are already in the Market. When you install an app from the Appbrain app it just launches the Market app and searches for the app you are wanting to install.

Ok, slight correction to the above. It appears iTylerA was right. Appbrain has a new app, Fast Web Install which when installed to your phone, allows you to install _FREE_ apps directly from the Appbrain site and then push it directly to your phone.

I did just test it an it seems to work ok. Again, this only seems to work for FREE apps and of course, only apps which will run on 1.5, so no using it to try and force an app which requires a higher version of Android onto the phone. This is still utilizing the Market app for the actual download and install, it just simplifies the process for those using Appbrain.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links