Backflip rooted??? (swear to god not an april fools joke!)

This is a discussion on Backflip rooted??? (swear to god not an april fools joke!) within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; Guessing your friend has an HTC Hero? If so, there will be many differences, although the base underlying platform will be the same. To borrow ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backflip rooted??? (swear to god not an april fools joke!)

Guessing your friend has an HTC Hero? If so, there will be many differences, although the base underlying platform will be the same.

To borrow an example from the iPhone, by "rooted" they mean basically the same as "jailbroken" for the iPhone. It means gaining "root" access to the phone (root in the Unix/Linux world is the super user, like Administrator in Windows). It allows you to basically install and modify the phone as you see fit, bypassing the restrictions ATT/Motorola has placed on the phone.

I got to thinking about this, and now I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about programming, or rooting, but I found the exact file that guy was talking about in the second blog, and the file, totally untouched until then, was exactly word for word, symbol for symbol like he explained it was supposed to be typed lol.

Quote Originally Posted by boondage View Post
    I got to thinking about this, and now I'll be the first to admit I know nothing about programming, or rooting, but I found the exact file that guy was talking about in the second blog, and the file, totally untouched until then, was exactly word for word, symbol for symbol like he explained it was supposed to be typed lol.

What are you getting at here ?

Quote Originally Posted by modem_over View Post
    What are you getting at here ?
    I meant that as a reply to an earlier post, but guess it didn't post properly, was just agreeing when someone earlier said that this was bogus and that there wasn't any useful information in either of the blogs.

Quote Originally Posted by modem_over View Post
    I agree, the guy is a fake. the methods he suggests do not work. probably just a picture of his phone showing an image he made in photoshop. if he were really able to do what he claims he would have made a writeup that makes sense. instead he made the post and seems to have disappeared. just some internet kid trying to gain some fame,
    Did you bother reading more than just the article like the replies at the bottom?

He stated very clearly, hes a developer and rooted the phone using proprietary Moto dev tools that yes, arent available to me and you and he cannot share those tools. He's got the keys he needs to do what he wants but again, these are not public domain and hes smart not wanting to risk his 'in' at Motorola.

He also said hes already been contacted by AT&T and had a 'talking to' about his work on the Backflip.

He recently signed up and made an appearance over at the xda forums so hopefully more will get going on that there..

Yeah, I read through infrared's posts and the posts from the guys who seem hell bent on insulting him and trying to start a fight with him.

I think the infrared guy is trying his best to help the community make progress towards rooting the backflip to the best extent that he can, given the circumstances.

He makes it clear that he has rooted the backflip but only because he has some inside information that he's been entrusted to keep secure. He can't betray that trust and give those codes out. That makes sense to me.

And while he's walking his tightrope trying to balance that trust on one hand with a desire to help the backflip community on the other hand, these other jerks, who haven't done squat, by the way, are calling him a liar and dragging his name through the mud over it.

Really nice. Great work, guys. Way to be helpful to the community.

But using "insider information" that he can't or won't release to everyone else doesn't help anything. He didn't do anything. Essentially he cheated, just so that he could try to get his 15 minutes of fame.

Also the picture "evidence" he provides doesn't even show a rooted phone, so we can't even be sure that he's done what he has claimed to do, even given the "insider access" he has.

Defend him all that you want, he still hasn't shown/proven anything, and even if true, what he did do doesn't "help the cause".

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    But using "insider information" that he can't or won't release to everyone else doesn't help anything. He didn't do anything. Essentially he cheated, just so that he could try to get his 15 minutes of fame.

Also the picture "evidence" he provides doesn't even show a rooted phone, so we can't even be sure that he's done what he has claimed to do, even given the "insider access" he has.

Defend him all that you want, he still hasn't shown/proven anything, and even if true, what he did do doesn't "help the cause".
    I don't believe he's asking for a trophy for what he's done, so far. He has come out and said that he has rooted the phone using his insider tools. He's been up front about that from the beginning. I don't see him trying to present himself as better or smarter than anyone else.

And now just the other day he posted saying he's still working on trying to figure out a way to reverse engineer the insider tools he has access to so that the phone becomes properly openly 'rooted' for the community without him having to compromise his principles in releasing proprietary information.

And while he's working on this, by the way, he's also got a real 'day job' that he has to attend to and he's going to college at the same time and has to worry about his college work, too.

And while he's doing all this, what are you guys doing? You're calling him a liar and a cheat on public web sites. You have no actual information to go on. Just your suspicion that he 'might' not have actually rooted the phone yet.

Well, ****. Let's get a mob together, go over to his house and pull him out so we can burn him at the stake or maybe we should hang him first, eh?

If you don't have something helpful or constructive to say, just sit down and STFU. You think tearing him or anyone else down is going to make you look clever and more intelligent? What's your motive here? Why do you think you need to 'expose' his supposed 'lie'?

The simple fact is that of all the noise about rooting the backflip on all the various forums, the only thing that actually seems to have any real substance to it at all is the work he's doing.

You're welcome to your own opinion, of course. And thanks for sharing it with all of us. Hope you don't mind that I've got my own opinions, too. And I'm not afraid to share them either.

Have a nice day.

Guys just to jump the gun before this gets out of control lets just keep it civil.

I have 9 lockerz invites if interested PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by batmania15 View Post
    Guys just to jump the gun before this gets out of control lets just keep it civil.
    Yeah, you're right, batmania15. I apologize.

I don't usually get up in someone's face over a forum post or three. Even though I do tend to get riled up when I see guys stirring up needless crap on forums.

I don't know why I do that. I need to get over it.

I guess grandma was right. She always said 'never wrestle in the mud with pigs.' 'You'll get dirty and the pig enjoys it and is probably better at it than you are. Plus, the rest of us aren't really that entertained by it.' She was a smart lady.

Anyway, sorry.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links