Frustration about Backflip Root

This is a discussion on Frustration about Backflip Root within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; I love my backflip. The hardware is awesome. The software, on the other hand, is a little frustrating. Now, I know that 2.1 is being ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustration about Backflip Root

Frustration about Backflip Root

I love my backflip. The hardware is awesome. The software, on the other hand, is a little frustrating. Now, I know that 2.1 is being released in Q3 of this year. Realize, however, that 2.1 will still be filtered by AT&T. I remember when this phone first came out, people were eager to root it. This was the only real solution to removing AT&Ts stranglehold over the device, and of course allow different variants of the Android OS to be installed on the phone. Now, however, it seems like this vigor has died down. I'm no expert, but I think that no matter how strictly locked down the OS is, a ROOT has to be possible. I just wish that there was a devoted android community for motorola devices other than the droid. Look at HTC's community as an example. ALL of their phones have root access (such as the G1, MyTouch, etc.). Yet, with the backflip, there is no solution. The efforts to root the device have stagnated substantially, with virtually no support from the developer community. I guess I'm just writing this to vent a little, as I bought an Android device to have this flexibility and ability to root. I'm not trying to rush or be hasty, but I have a feeling that this root will never come; if it does, then the custom firmware will most likely be bug-ridden and unstable. I really hope that there is still someone out there trying to root this otherwise great device.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You might want to go check out ModMyMoto.com.

I have 9 lockerz invites if interested PM me.

Yeah, it's frustrating having to wait for someone to 'root' the backflip. Especially when there really doesn't seem to be much chatter or activity of any kind going on about it these days.

The last thing that looked promising was when a guy with the forum name of 'Infrared', I believe, announced that he'd rooted the backflip using developer tools and/or codes of some sort. He went on to say that he would try to put together a team of some sort to get the process moved ahead to where dev tools etc. wouldn't be required and there could be general root access for the backflip.

But no sooner did he announce that than a bunch of guys jumped all over him for announcing that he'd rooted the phone by 'cheating' with his dev tools, etc. They bad mouthed him pretty good in several forums saying he'd 'faked' the root, blah, blah, blah...

And I think, as a result, he seems to have crawled back into obscurity and probably isn't even working on it anymore. Not that you could blame him after the way he was treated.

The backflip probably wont be rooted until there is an exploit found... And because it is not a powerful phone, there really is not a lot of interest in trying to find the exploit. I like my backflip, and I have very little issue with the new one I got (first one had a faulty mic, so I couldn't talk on it.)

I kind of hope the amount of hell motorola and AT&T have gotten from backflip owners will help to allow a little more freedom when and if the phone gets upgraded.

Quote Originally Posted by ldd2142 View Post
    The backflip probably wont be rooted until there is an exploit found... And because it is not a powerful phone, there really is not a lot of interest in trying to find the exploit. I like my backflip, and I have very little issue with the new one I got (first one had a faulty mic, so I couldn't talk on it.)

I kind of hope the amount of hell motorola and AT&T have gotten from backflip owners will help to allow a little more freedom when and if the phone gets upgraded.
    But I would assume that the Backflip is more powerful than, say, the HTC G1. Yet, just last night a new version of a 2.1 custom firmware was release for it by the xda developers. So the fact that the Backflip doesn't have the newest and greatest processor doesn't mean that it shouldn't be rooted in my opinion.

And because it is not a powerful phone, .
    Really?? Thats funny cause it runs at just about the same speed as the Droid and the iPhone do. Whats the snapdragon really good for? Are we going to get like Marvel vs Capcom or Street Fighter 4 on the phones?

Quote Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
    Really?? Thats funny cause it runs at just about the same speed as the Droid and the iPhone do. Whats the snapdragon really good for? Are we going to get like Marvel vs Capcom or Street Fighter 4 on the phones?
    the droid runs at 700mhz. The backflip is 530 (in that area, not sure the exact speed)... it is the same speed as the G1. The new 2.1 firmware that was released for the G1 overclocked it to 600mhz stable... 633mhz unstable.

I also highly doubt that the backflip can handle Marvel vs. Capcom or SF4... From my understanding which is limited because I have not had an Iphone... is that it is capable of running games like that on lesser internals because it does not multi-task.

the droid runs at 700mhz. The backflip is 530 (in that area, not sure the exact speed)... it is the same speed as the G1. The new 2.1 firmware that was released for the G1 overclocked it to 600mhz stable... 633mhz unstable.

I also highly doubt that the backflip can handle Marvel vs. Capcom or SF4... From my understanding which is limited because I have not had an Iphone... is that it is capable of running games like that on lesser internals because it does not multi-task.
    Yea but from what I heard, both the Droid and the Backflip are running underclocked.... The Droid is actually around the 500mhz mark I believe. The point is, root access would let us overclock the backflip closer to its full potential, around the same speed that the droid is running at.

The backflip is using a Qualcomm MSM-7201A processor.Pretty much the same processor in the HTC Touch Pro(Fuze).It is clocked at 528 MHZ.It can be overclocked to about 600 MHZ but the battery life will take a big hit.The Droid has an OMAP 3430 processor clocked at 550 MHZ but i believe it can be safely overclocked at about 700 MHZ.Any time you overclock a phone the battery life is reduced dramatically.

trust me i would love nothing more than the backflip getting rooted. I just dont see a lot of interest in it anymore.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links