Exploits Known To NOT Work On The AT&T Backflip (05/2010)

This is a discussion on Exploits Known To NOT Work On The AT&T Backflip (05/2010) within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; I got it to work. With phone powered off, press and hold down the menu key on the keyboard. Press the power button as if ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Exploits Known To NOT Work On The AT&T Backflip (05/2010)

I got it to work. With phone powered off, press and hold down the menu key on the keyboard. Press the power button as if starting the phone normally while continuing to hold the meny key down. Keep holding the menu key down through the white scrren, etc until you see your desktop. You will see "safe mode" in bottom left corner if successfull. Looks like safe mode cripples any user installed apps and maybe some of the other stock programs. looks like it would get you a usable phone if a misbehaving app you installed kept you from performing basic functions. I bet it's there so you can boot up and perform a reset back to factory condition or uninstall the rowdy app. Just guessing though.

I have lost all faith in AT&T and Motorola in reference to getting this device rooted. I’m pending an HTC Incredible and no longer care about my backflip nor AT&T’s service since I’ve been loyal since Cingular. If anyone has compiled and need a tester, I offer my backflip for testing. Just contact me when you have something cooked up and I’ll provide any feedback needed.

thanks for putting this together.

WooT!
    many many mad props.

Quote Originally Posted by weasel5i2 View Post
    Hello,

I have been endlessly hacking away at this damned AT&T Backflip, trying to find a way to get to the delicious juicy root files. Here's what I've tried so far:

asroot2 - failed
    su (magicandroidapps.com) - failed
    su (G1 stock from 1.5 build) - failed
    su (from CM 4.2.15 on a G1) - failed
    busybox su (stock Backflip binary) - failed
    busybox sulogin (stock Backflip binary) - failed
    other various busybox builds - failed

How are you getting suid bit set on any su builds? The memory card is mounted noexec, and the Android installer never installs an application as uid 0. Sort of a serious question, as if you've found a way to do that, you've pretty much found root.

gayros.c
    - failed
    gayros2.c - failed
    ImpelDown.c - failed
    rs_prctl_kernel.c - failed
    Since I was kinda focused on ImpelDown, I'm curious what process you went through to convert these exploits to work on the ARM, in addition to any error messages you got while running them - I have a partial setup in place to handle the cross-compile properly, with the android linux header files, but if all of these exploits failed then I might just give up.

I haven't experimented with RadioComm much; I still need to get it to recognise the handset. I also am having trouble getting adb to see the handset under Linux, but I think it may just be I entered the wrong USB VIDs or PIDs. Haven't even tried RSD Lite yet. If I can find a way into the fastboot interface or the recovery image (if it has a shell) then I may be able to figure something out.
    Regarding adb and linux - is dmesg showing the USB device? If so, it's probably a device permission problem.

--W5i2
    Fetch

I cant remember what forum I read it on when I first got my Backflip, it was either modmymoto or perhaps the XDA forums, but I remember reading that the BF doesnt even have the su command in it.

Somehow AT&T managed to remove the superuser altogether.. I dont know if thats true or not but I cant find where I first read it at now!

I'm copying all these binaries to /data/local/tmp to test them. At first, I was using /sqlite_stmt_journals, but the contents don't stay after a reboot.

Fetch, that's the main reason for the fails in the "su" attempts - the lack of suid root. If I could trick "busybox sulogin" into believing that an /etc/passwd file exists, I may be able to do it.. but then again, if that were possible, linux everywhere would be r00ted!

I'm experimenting with Motorola PST 7.2.5 now, it does see the phone as "Flash MSM7201A" when I boot into the blue-screen USB Init mode and there is an option "Override existing phone software even if it is newer than the superfile software" - which means we MAY be able to downgrade the bootloader with this! Just need to find a valid SHX superfile image, a format with which I'm not quite familiar yet. Learning, though.

I do have SkrilaxCZ's tools which will let me convert/pack/unpack/repack MBN and SHX files, so I guess the problem now is to find a copy of a Backflip dev bootloader to try it with!

--W5i2

You are right, Monotremata, they totally removed the "su" binary. And attempts to put it on the phone all fail because the binary has to be setuid root in order to run as root and grant su access to non-root accounts..

--W5i2

Quote Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
    I cant remember what forum I read it on when I first got my Backflip, it was either modmymoto or perhaps the XDA forums, but I remember reading that the BF doesnt even have the su command in it.

Somehow AT&T managed to remove the superuser altogether.. I dont know if thats true or not but I cant find where I first read it at now!

Quote Originally Posted by kschumake83 View Post
    Sorry for asking a noobish question but I used to dabble with iden a little bit and there used to be the rss software like depot and agent is there any perhaps not so allowed (for lack of a better word) software for android motorola phones
    The MOTOBLUR stuff has RSS capability built into it, at least on the Backflip.. I added CNN, and The Onion to mine.. See if you have any kind of News or Happenings widget available..

-W5i2

I even tried making my own copy of the "SuperUser" update.zip that's floating around out there, and no luck. Even with testkey signing using testkeys.jar, it still refused to load the file due to the missing/invalid signature..

Are there any Motorola test keys out there for other Androids? I'd like to try signing them with other keys to see if any will work.

--W5i2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links