Exploits Known To NOT Work On The AT&T Backflip (05/2010)

This is a discussion on Exploits Known To NOT Work On The AT&T Backflip (05/2010) within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; Hello, I have been endlessly hacking away at this damned AT&T Backflip, trying to find a way to get to the delicious juicy root files. ...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Exploits Known To NOT Work On The AT&T Backflip (05/2010)

Post Exploits Known To NOT Work On The AT&T Backflip (05/2010)

Hello,

I have been endlessly hacking away at this damned AT&T Backflip, trying to find a way to get to the delicious juicy root files. Here's what I've tried so far:

asroot2 / InstantRoot.apk - failed
    su (magicandroidapps.com) - failed
    su (G1 stock from 1.5 build) - failed
    su (from CM 4.2.15 on a G1) - failed
    busybox su (stock Backflip binary) - failed
    busybox sulogin (stock Backflip binary) - failed
    other various busybox builds - failed

[HACK] Tattoo Busybox (Coburn64).zip
    - failed

gayros.c
    - failed
    gayros2.c - failed
    ImpelDown.c - failed
    rs_prctl_kernel.c - failed

Update 05/31: I've tried using the "update.zip" version of SuperUser, no luck. I tried re-signing it with testkeys.jar, still no luck. The bootloader rejected it with an "invalid signature" type of message. I don't remember exactly. If I can get my hands on any Motorola test keys, they may or may not work! Anyone have any leads on those, please let me know..

Also, I noticed that when I load the phone up in Motorola PST, it recognises it as "Flash MSM7201A", which it says is unsupported. However, under the info (which it does successfully get from the phone) it says the phone type is "Engineering 000000000000something" .. Does this mean anything special?

flashrec-1.1.3-20091107-2.apk - failed
    Rooter.apk - failed
    SuperUser.apk - failed
    InstantRoot.apk - failed

RadioComm software - still experimenting with this
    RSDLite4.6.rar - not useful - seems to be only able to flash ROM images to the handset.

Has anyone attempted anything not on this list? If so, please post your results here.

I haven't experimented with RadioComm much; I still need to get it to recognise the handset. I also am having trouble getting adb to see the handset under Linux, but I think it may just be I entered the wrong USB VIDs or PIDs. Haven't even tried RSD Lite yet. If I can find a way into the fastboot interface or the recovery image (if it has a shell) then I may be able to figure something out.

--W5i2

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Holding Down Keys At Boot

I am experimenting with holding down certain keys / key combinations during power-on (such as D+J to enter bootloader mode). Perhaps there's a hidden way into some kind of test mode or dev-phone mode.. I will post results here. I'm also checking to see if the phone appears on the USB bus as a different (perhaps debug-enabled) device each time. Note that "failed" just means that the handset booted normally.

D + J - blue Bootloader USB Init screen - phone appears as "Motorola Flash Interface" - need to experiment with this and see what kind of things I can do here. The Power button will reboot the phone from this screen.

D (naturally, I tried this first) - failed

Camera Button - Pressing and holding the camera button during power-on (until the phone tells you to release it) boots into a partial USB fastboot mode (no cable connectivity though) - provides options "Verbose boot" and recovery. If you don't press anything for 10 seconds, it boots the phone normally. If you choose Verbose boot (by holding down VOLUME UP for a few seconds) it goes to a blue fastboot screen, which says fastboot is disabled due to security. No apparent way out of this blue screen without yanking the battery. If you do the Recovery Mode (by holding down VOLUME DOWN for a few seconds - strangely, it will still say "VOLUME UP KEY PRESSED") then it goes to a firmware flashing screen. I imagine it is expecting a valid update.zip to be in the root of the SD card. No apparent way out of this one without pulling the battery as well.

*EDIT 05/29*: While in the triangle-exclamation-mark flashing screen, I am experimenting with different ALT-key combinations. Obviously, ALT-W will do a wipe, ALT-S will apply an update.zip file, but I found other(s):

- ALT-Y - quick reboot
    - ALT-. - same as <UP>
    - ALT-OK - same as <DOWN>

Oops, I accidentally wiped my phone by hitting ALT-ENTER. :P

Addendum: Funny, I can make the "VOLUME UP KEY PRESSED" message appear more than once (along with the timeout dot-dot-dots) if I hold down the Volume Up and then repeatedly press the Camera button at the same time, while it's telling me I have the 10-seconds choice timeout. After 10 seconds of screwing around like this, it went into a normal boot. I will experiment with this a bit more. I also took a brief look at the fastboot source code, but I haven't been able to find any apparent sneakies yet.

Power Button - failed
    Volume Up Button - failed
    Volume Down Button - failed

Menu Key (squares) - Boots phone in safe mode! - maybe something here..!
    Home Key - failed
    Back Key - failed
    ALT - failed
    Search - failed
    AT&T Deathstar - failed

I'll edit this post and add to it as I go along. Lots of reboots ahead of me...

-W5i2

If it means anything, thanks so much for trying to do this. It's great to see somebody still care about rooting this thing, and although I don't know much about the process, best of luck to you!

Thanks for documenting the things that DIDN'T work. :-) That is just as important as documenting what does work.

Yes, hoping to save future Backflip-hackers the time and trouble!

--W5i2

Thank you Hopefully I'll be able to figure out some sneaky way to root these things!

--W5i2

Sorry for asking a noobish question but I used to dabble with iden a little bit and there used to be the rss software like depot and agent is there any perhaps not so allowed (for lack of a better word) software for android motorola phones

Quote Originally Posted by weasel5i2 View Post
    Hello,

I have been endlessly hacking away at this damned AT&T Backflip, trying to find a way to get to the delicious juicy root files....
    Thank you for your work and enthusiasm!

If you can actually root the damn thing there are MANY people in the Backflip community who would be very grateful.

In fact, if you succeed in 'fixing' the phone, I'll rename my cat from Francis to Adrian in your honor.

Which would be quite appropriate since the cat is also 'fixed' and really only looks at me with contempt when I call him 'Francis', anyway. :D

Quote Originally Posted by weasel5i2 View Post
    I am experimenting with holding down certain keys / key combinations during power-on (such as D+J to enter bootloader mode). Perhaps there's a hidden way into some kind of test mode or dev-phone mode.. I will post results here:

D (naturally, I tried this first) - failed
    Menu Key (squares) - Boots phone in safe mode! - maybe something here..!

I'll edit this post and add to it as I go along. Lots of reboots ahead of me...

-W5i2
    Good find! Very exciting what we may be able to do from here thank you for sharing this.Will be playing with this and trying to find anything.Retried asroot2 and su.Both didnt work in this mode either...saddly.

i couldn't ever get my phone to boot in safe mode how were you doin it exactly? The menu button on the keyboard or the screen? Hold the power button down too along with menu? I tried multiple times many ways still couldn't do it?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links