Noobish Root question everyone else is afraid to ask... :P

This is a discussion on Noobish Root question everyone else is afraid to ask... :P within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; What exactly is involved in rooting this phone that we cannot do? For example, on this site Why (and How) to Root Your Android Phone ...

Thread: Noobish Root question everyone else is afraid to ask... :P

Talking Noobish Root question everyone else is afraid to ask... :P

What exactly is involved in rooting this phone that we cannot do? For example, on this site Why (and How) to Root Your Android Phone | Smarterware they make it look simple to root an android device. I know we can't install from unknown sources directly on the phone, but can't we use that workaround we found to install from the computer? (Download the .apk file to the sd card, then put it on the comp., then install on the phone) Wouldn't it just be a matter of putting an update.zip file on the sd card at that point and installing it in recovery mode? I know some linux masters may be laughing because this was probably the first step, and something is probably totally wrong, but I would like to actively help root this device, and any information would be appreciated!

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You should look around some of the other threads here for better answers, but I believe the reason what you are describing will not work is because the update.zip would need to be signed with the official Motorola signing keys in order for the phone to accept it, and we do not have access to said keys.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    You should look around some of the other threads here for better answers, but I believe the reason what you are describing will not work is because the update.zip would need to be signed with the official Motorola signing keys in order for the phone to accept it, and we do not have access to said keys.
    Ahh, Thank you very much for that info!!! You know, I think part of the lack of interest in rooting this phone is that most people don't know what we need to root this... Maybe somewhere on the home page there should be a "If you have access to the correct keys to sign our update.zip files, help us!!!
    :P

Its not that that simple. Also, the people with the knowledge to root the phone know what is required to do so. Regarding the signing keys only a Motorola developer. Would have access to them.

If that's true... then what the heck is everyone else doing?

If root is achieved on the phone, it will most likely through an exploit of some security vulnerability which allows root privileges on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    If root is achieved on the phone, it will most likely through an exploit of some security vulnerability which allows root privileges on the phone.
    Random thought. Wouldn't the Package Installer have Root priveleges? Why not pull that and decompile?

It does not. I believe it runs as the "system" user, not "root" (but if anyone knows any better, feel free to straighten me out )

The app installer puts new applications into the /data/app directory, which is owned by the "system" user- meaning you don't have to be root, but regular user programs still can't change it.

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links