lets try to find the 13.37 ota update url and zip!!

This is a discussion on lets try to find the 13.37 ota update url and zip!! within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; If there's any way you could try to capture the download with wireshark, I'd really appreciate it. Of course, that would require a factory reset ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: lets try to find the 13.37 ota update url and zip!!

Junior Member turnyourbackandrun's Avatar
    If there's any way you could try to capture the download with wireshark, I'd really appreciate it. Of course, that would require a factory reset to get rid of the cached update... I understand if you don't want to do that. I was only able to get one complete capture (out of at least 10 downloads) but you may have better luck, as I'm working on a repeated network. The best tip I can give you is to capture on multiple interfaces, and merge the capture files after. If you have multiple computers, capture on all of them at once. If you have extra usb adapters, plug them into your computer and monitor on all of them at once. If you need detailed instructions, I'd be more than willing to provide them... just let me know. Another copy of the download to compare mine to would help a great deal.

As far as my progress... every time I think I understand what I need to do, it gets exponentially more complicated. I'm now reverse engineering moto code to figure out the exact protocol for parsing the file. I still think I'm close, but this is harder than I anticipated- go figure

I don't mind wiping my phone, it's not a problem at all. I'll have to do it when I get home from work. I may do it multiple times even, and collect several overall captures, just for redundancy and to be absolutely sure we can figure this thing out.

All my home network traffic is routed through a linux gateway, so I can just pop an invalid SIM into the phone to be absolutely sure it's not going to OTA on me, and then sniff the LAN interface and do it over wifi.. Should work, and I'll also have a chance to try netsniff-ng (which claims the ability to capture images/zips/etc) again and see if it works better since they updated it. I'd tried it before and it does seem to "extract" the ZIP files from the network stream, but they either appear to be incomplete or else it saves multiple small ZIP files when I test-download a single file.. Odd behaviour. I'll keep you posted!

--W5i2

OOOh, this is getting good...

Not to rain on your parade or netsniff-ng's parade, but honestly I doubt that it will capture the pure zip file- although I'm not discouraging you from trying! Android uses google's Protocol Buffers to receive downloads, and the blur updater uses a special implementation, I think. nEx.Software at m3 made a parser that correctly parsed the file for the cliq, but I'm pretty sure the backflip uses a different (maybe newer) implementation of protobuf. Basically the idea is this: users may download the update on a spotty connection (bad reception, going from wifi to edge to 3g, etc), and the packets might not all arrive in the correct order. So a protocol buffer tells each packet where it needs to go in the final file- hence the reason the update I captured has extra info. What I need to do is figure out the exact implementation of protobuf so that I can recreate the process on the computer. An alternative approach is to emulate the device and use the actual classes from the blur updater (they're in BlurUpdater.apk). I've been trying to decompile the classes into java source code, but it seems that there aren't programs available to do that yet. I've been able to get somewhat legible results with baksmali/smali/apktool/dedexer, but it's definitely not source code...

With that said, more capture files (hopefully complete) means I can verify mine (and vice versa) and make sure I'm working with the right file.

Ugh, I seem to have b0rked my handset. Last night, I went to hit "Apply Later" and the phone switched orientation right before I touched the screen, and I ended up hitting "Apply Now" instead. So, every reboot would lead into the 13.37 update..

So, stupid me, allows the 13.37 update to continue, then when it's rebooted and working (13.37) I forced RSDLite to apply the 13.35 SBF, which said it was successful......

Now every time I boot the handset, it goes to a weird version of the USB Bootloader Init screen; basically it's a black screen but the bottom line of text is normal white-on-blue and says "USB Bootloader Init" like normal.. I can apply additional flashes to it with RSD Lite, which will report success, but no matter what, every time it reboots it goes to that b0rken bootloader screen.

I took the handset to the AT&T Equipment Support place and (after a heart-wrenching story of how "I got some kind of weird update thingy on my phone, and after it updated my phone was no longer working" hehe) they've ordered me a new one which should be here by Wednesday at the latest. In the meantime, I still have my b0rked one which I must send them in a prepaid box which will arrive with the new handset.. In the meantime, I will try forcing RSDLite to install a pre-0.13.35 rom from the superthread, maybe that will get it working again.. And maybe my new handset will come with the stock release ROM version (0.12.99 iirc)!

-W5i2

Haha. "Some weird update thingy." Priceless.
    Credit goes to ee0r.com for my avatar.

That sucks I'm glad you got it replaced... I saw on m3 where Sseymour bricked his phone the same way, and I swear I saw Skrilax say that he tried it and it didn't brick. Anyway, I've taken a couple days off... spending 5-10 hours a day staring at a monitor has taken a toll on me :P I'll be back at it soon, though.

Edit: It was infrared who posted that attempting to downgrade didn't brick his phone. I don't know though, he said a simple battery pull solved it for him...

I believe Skrilax said that you needed to remove the bootloader when trying to flash it back to 13.35. It appears there were some changes made with 13.37.

Got my new handset today, and unfortunately it already has the 0.13.37 update applied! :mad:

I really hope they don't decide I broke my warranty and charge me for the phone.

--W5i2

Dang...
    Credit goes to ee0r.com for my avatar.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links