lets try to find the 13.37 ota update url and zip!!

This is a discussion on lets try to find the 13.37 ota update url and zip!! within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; ive been following this thread i dont have a backflip but i would like to help i was wondering 1) can someone provide a system ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: lets try to find the 13.37 ota update url and zip!!

ive been following this thread i dont have a backflip but i would like to help

i was wondering

1) can someone provide a system dump of whatever version they are on

2) @turnyourbackandrun when you downloaded the update to your phone. have you tried looking on the phone for the file. in one case i saw the phone hide a update.zip on my sdcard before updating. it was hidden ofcourse.

Junior Member turnyourbackandrun's Avatar
    lol actually i never thought to look. it definitely did go to the /cache partition though 'cause i watched the free space before and after and it decreased by the size of the update. i already applied the update, though, so i've kind of given up for right now

It definitely goes to cache, or maybe misc, if it's big enough (I forget which, but have confirmed from the source.) Either way, we don't have read access.

Something to try (for the developers):

1. Install adb and turn on usb debugging.
    2. Restart your backflip with usb connected to your pc.
    3. Once your phone starts, run the command "adb shell logcat"
    4. A somewhat-long log will now be displayed with various information from different services, continously printing new info. Look for messages from blur.
    5. At some point shortly after boot, blur always checks for updates. When it does this it prints the url it's connecting to.
    6. THIS IS NOT THE UPDATE URL - it is only where blur connects to check for them.
    7. From here, you're on your own, I only noticed this while I was testing other things...

From my experience on the PSP, what is most likely happening is:
    1. Your phone sends a packet of info, describing itself as a backflip running system version XX.XX (possibly all encoded in the url.)
    2. The server sends a response, indicating whether a newer version is available, and where to get it.
    3. Your phone connects to the url provided, downloads the update, and then reboots to recovery to install it.

What we need to do is figure out how the initial message is encoded, and how the server response is decoded; and then write a program to simulate the process (pretending to be a lower firmware, of course.) That is, if there's still any interest...

Junior Member turnyourbackandrun's Avatar
    @Karl

Most of this has been done. I still have the response from the update server saved. The server response is encoded using Google's ProtocolBuffer classes. nex.software at m3 created a program a while ago to decode the cliq's update file... he sent it to me, but unfortunately the blur updater package has been updated to use a new version of ProtocolBuffers (not even called that anymore, but it's under the google code page for protobuf). I disassembled the package to see exactly how it reconstructed the response, but the disassembling tools available aren't ideal, and it takes someone with a lot more skill than me to make sense of the output (look up smali/baksmali). It didn't seem like there was too much interest or potential in going this route, so I've given it up for now at least. The other exploits look more promising, particularly exploid. Also, once 2.1 is released (knock on wood), it should open up more possibilities. So for now, I've gone back to lurking.

Of course motorola just used the existing code, lol. I have no interest in this for now anyways, but it may be useful eventually when a root is found to make rooted updates (as I'm sure their installers will try to remove it.) As far as this kind of research goes, we're much better off studying the source, or else extracting everything from /system/recovery.img. I've already examined the recovery source, and I still think it's a waste of time. The code looks pretty clean.

Exploid is still useful though. Init seems to be useless without /etc/firmware, but other services still hold plenty of potential...

Incidentally, the 0.13.37 update is now on the Backflip/Motus Firmwares Superthread, Skrilax_CZ posted it on MMM! ^_^

--W5i2

Quote Originally Posted by weasel5i2 View Post
    Incidentally, the 0.13.37 update is now on the Backflip/Motus Firmwares Superthread, Skrilax_CZ posted it on MMM! ^_^

--W5i2
    really no point now since the backflip has been rooted

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by kiel123 View Post
    really no point now since the backflip has been rooted
    Yea, there is a point. It's so you can restore your device back to normal if you botch up rooting your device, or if you have a warranty issue and need to flash the un-rooted image back to it to send it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Yea, there is a point. It's so you can restore your device back to normal if you botch up rooting your device, or if you have a warranty issue and need to flash the un-rooted image back to it to send it in.
    Exactly! As seen here, I b0rked my phone's 3G connectivity by accidentally overwriting the binaries in /system/bin and /system/xbin. I asked on another thread if someone could help me out by posting a copy of their files. Someone did, and I copied them over to my phone but unfortunately it didn't fix the problems. So, I looked in the firmwares superthread (mainly to see if I could extract /system from the 0.13.35 SBF and try fixing my phone that way) - imagine my surprise to see 0.13.37 had been posted by everyone's beloved hacker-ninja, Mr. Skrilax. Reflashing that onto my phone fixed it right up!

--W5i2

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links