[Backflip] Root Bounty

This is a discussion on [Backflip] Root Bounty within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; I know right? I feel like the guy with the late-bloomer phone. D; But I do love my backflip and I hope the root comes ...

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: [Backflip] Root Bounty

I know right? I feel like the guy with the late-bloomer phone. D; But I do love my backflip and I hope the root comes soon. :]

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Zew View Post
    I know right? I feel like the guy with the late-bloomer phone. D; But I do love my backflip and I hope the root comes soon. :]
    It's like you read my mind.

I got tired of waiting and am trying to root it myself. I've learned a lot about Linux, but I've gotten nowhere with rooting it.

Quote Originally Posted by andershizzle View Post
    Have the admins here (Backflipforums) made any pledge towards this yet ?
    This Forum is supporting this Bounty, where as, M3, is not allowing it to be posted there. Neither are the Motorola Official Support Forums, which is expected. But I was surprised when M3 closed my thread. :\

I do appreciate the support Forum Admins, as I'm sure we all are.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Coolcool View Post
    Well it's a big challenge. I don't think most android phone go so long being un rooted.
    There's probably a few that haven't. The Clip XT hasn't, nor has the Droid Incredible (Not for everyone at least).

Quote Originally Posted by MLBZ521 View Post
    This Forum is supporting this Bounty, where as, M3, is not allowing it to be posted there. Neither are the Motorola Official Support Forums, which is expected. But I was surprised when M3 closed my thread. :\

I do appreciate the support Forum Admins, as I'm sure we all are.
    Have you posted at XDA? I believe they support efforts like this. Also, it seems to have the strongest community of dev's.

I have posted on XDA, but have only gotten a few replies to the thread and no definite interest from either donators or developers.
    There have been other Bounty attempts there with luck it seems as the SE X10 got over $1,800 in donations and Root access.

I'm not bumping the thread just to bump it there though and there seems to not be any more Backflip interest there any longer, so I'm not getting any bumps from fellow users. I don't want to bump it myself and have it seem a "dead" thread. It needs some life from others to gain interest I believe.

If someone wants to help draw attention to the thread, here's the link: [Backflip] Root Bounty - xda-developers

The thing I'm worrying about now though, is the Bootloader. Does anyone know if the bootloader on the Backflip is the same that is on the Milestone and now upcoming Droid X? If it's the same, it's encrypted, which means no custom ROMs ability. We can still gain root, but would not be able to flash customized ROMs.
    The Cliq has root correct? Do they have the ability to flash custom ROMs? I haven't had a chance to look into this yet, just started thinking about it in the last couple days and haven't had the time. But since I haven't seen anything about a port to 2.1 from all the cries concerning the official 2.1, I don't know if they have the ability or there's just no dev support for them either.

Quote Originally Posted by MLBZ521 View Post
    I have posted on XDA, but have only gotten a few replies to the thread and no definite interest from either donators or developers.
    There have been other Bounty attempts there with luck it seems as the SE X10 got over $1,800 in donations and Root access.

I'm not bumping the thread just to bump it there though and there seems to not be any more Backflip interest there any longer, so I'm not getting any bumps from fellow users. I don't want to bump it myself and have it seem a "dead" thread. It needs some life from others to gain interest I believe.

If someone wants to help draw attention to the thread, here's the link: [Backflip] Root Bounty - xda-developers

The thing I'm worrying about now though, is the Bootloader. Does anyone know if the bootloader on the Backflip is the same that is on the Milestone and now upcoming Droid X? If it's the same, it's encrypted, which means no custom ROMs ability. We can still gain root, but would not be able to flash customized ROMs.
    The Cliq has root correct? Do they have the ability to flash custom ROMs? I haven't had a chance to look into this yet, just started thinking about it in the last couple days and haven't had the time. But since I haven't seen anything about a port to 2.1 from all the cries concerning the official 2.1, I don't know if they have the ability or there's just no dev support for them either.
    Yea the Cliq has root, and custom roms... I haven't read a whole lot pertaining to the Cliq and the roms... But, I guess you have to trick the bootloader into thinking that motoblur is present. Once that is done, the rom will load as usual... check m3... They explain it a bit better than I can.

Well when I get a computer (hopefully soon) I'm gonna try and root it myself, anyone interested in teaming up to kick this phones ass?

Well when I get a computer (hopefully soon) I'm gonna try and root it myself, anyone interested in teaming up to kick this phones ass?
    Ok So I can help out.. I am a Programmer by profession . I work mostly in C C++ GCC etc. I have been Linux geek for about 10 years, but have never been involved in such an endeavor. If you have some Ideas or tasks that my skill-set can help with let me know I am willing to try, but have no clue where to start. I have been reading the forums and it seems the Key to this entire process are the Private Keys.

Having done some reading years ago about PGP (Pretty Good Privacy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) it seems if this is a true private key the following things will be true.

1. it will be very difficult to replicate.
    2. It would not contained in any Distributed file ( such as Update.zip)
    3. the Update would have been signed with the Key in such a way that the phone would be able to decode it without giving away signature.
    4. I could be wrong about this but the only way to attack would seem to be fool the phone into thinking it had a valid file with out this key?

The other way in seems to be somehow getting sudo to give it up. We would get Root but this might not allow the ability to update the ROM.

So feel free to yammer at me, I have a bunch of people who can help from hardware (ee types) to a few Leet friends who may be willing to guide me.
    I promise nothing but if we get talking we might be able to figure some crap out?

Dave.

I am. I'm pretty new at Linux and Android in general, but I'd like to help in any way that I can.
    Credit goes to ee0r.com for my avatar.

I'm guessing there's no updates on this

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links