Local Privilege Escalation Found

This is a discussion on Local Privilege Escalation Found within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; <Professor Farnsworth voice> Terrible news everyone! As of release 12.1199, the Motorola Backflip shipped with Linux kernel 2.6.17 and is vulnerable to the "do_mremap() mess" ...

Thread: Local Privilege Escalation Found

Lightbulb Local Privilege Escalation Found

<Professor Farnsworth voice>

Terrible news everyone! As of release 12.1199, the Motorola Backflip shipped with Linux kernel 2.6.17 and is vulnerable to the "do_mremap() mess" bug, which allows local privilege escalation!

National Vulnerability Database (NVD) National Vulnerability Database (CVE-2010-0291)

I've checked the kernel source code on Motorola's site, and it does indeed seem to be unpatched (my C is a little rusty though, so you may verify for yourselves).

But good news everyone! I'm sure this exploit will soon be fixed in an upcoming "over the air" release from AT&T and Motorola. Hopefully nobody will create an exploit for this vulnerability in the mean time.

Here is a link to the specific ARM patch:

git.kernel.org - linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git/blobdiff - arch/arm/kernel/sys_arm.c

I will post more information as I can uncover it. Please feel free to add anything (ahem, working source code ...) you can get. I may even need to install Linux once again ... ;(

Happy hacking!

Michael

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Seriously? I hope this isn't fixed in the 13.37 update...

And I hope this can be exploited... ((Waits for testing...))

We thank you for the support/development for our phone. We have a Root Bounty up, might interest you if you continue working for our cause.

I got so sick of digging through CVE's I gave up on this route months ago.

Thanks for finding this, when you say you looked at the kernel source, was that the 1199 source or the latest branch?

I hope someone knows what to do with this :D

CVE-2010-0291 is unpatched in the kernel contained in release 1199.. unfortunately I cannot find any published exploits for it, and I am not the man to make one. Fortunately an earlier suggestion posted by MLBZ521 (ImpelDown.c, CVE-2009-3547) is also unpatched in 1199, and the exploit code already exists. I think that may be the much easier route...

Wait, I made what suggestion?

Heh, I'd love to take credit, but I can not. I think you might mean someone else Professor. ;P

Here's some proof of concept on this particular exploit: http://seclists.org/bugtraq/2004/Jan/49

If someone can run this C code on their device, we can tell if our devices are exploitable or not (officially).

Quote Originally Posted by met3ora View Post
    Here's some proof of concept on this particular exploit: Bugtraq: Re: Linux kernel do_mremap() proof-of-concept exploit code

If someone can run this C code on their device, we can tell if our devices are exploitable or not (officially).

I don't think that's it.... that's from 2004. Might be a different vuln in the same function.

Oops -- ImpelDown.c was actually mentioned in a post by weasel5i2. In any case, I confirmed that mmap_min_addr setting is set to 4096 on Android, so apparently that is why the exploit failed (despite the unpatched kernel). I may try again myself tonight just to test it, but it looks like we are back to CVE-2010-0291.

Yeah definantly not working compiled and ran in the /data/local directory

I just noticed that, according to the file list posted by another user (sorry, cannot find post at the moment), the zygote binary is SUID root and world writable. I hope it really isn't going to be THAT easy. :P

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links