Could hardware be the answer to root?

This is a discussion on Could hardware be the answer to root? within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; So has anyone cracked one of these babies open? Is there some kind of hardware mod that could be done in order to root this ...

Thread: Could hardware be the answer to root?

Question Could hardware be the answer to root?

So has anyone cracked one of these babies open? Is there some kind of hardware mod that could be done in order to root this thing? kinda like an XBOX mod chip... i cant find anyone or any site that has done a tear down of one of these things to get an idea of what we are working with. At this point i am almost willing to tear this thing down my self and post pics... any one have an extra bricked phone and a decent resolution camera? We have physical access to this device and there is no reason why we should not be able to root this...

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

I was just talking to a friend of mine last night about the possibility of a JTAG interface, but unfortunately, I lack the equipment necessary to communicate with JTAG.. :P

..but it may be possible!!

--W5i2

what would that take... i have access to a dediprog sf100. we use it at work to flash bioses on dead systems... Show me where to solder

Yes, if we could somehow connect the phone to a PC (via USB or other) and mount the filesystem, you could drop your own SUID root binary onto the phone's FS. I'm sure this is possible at least in theory.

Well if i get a STREAK i will tear my backflip down and post all of the pics i can... I just don't have enough knowledge to know where to begin looking for a serial or JTAG.

well most of the time on the pcb it will be marked as j1 and have 4,5, or 6 holes one in the shape of a square and the rest in circles though could be slightly different as to conform to the small size of the phone

I honestly don't think it will be that easy... i think if there is a jtag or serial port on it we will have to rebuild it.

Quote Originally Posted by INeFFeCTiVE View Post
    I honestly don't think it will be that easy... i think if there is a jtag or serial port on it we will have to rebuild it.
    a serial port solder points on the pcb are most likely non-exsistant because it was probably taken out of the pcb in order to make the phone as small as possible its more likely that a jtag would exsist on the pcb, and belive it or not it is actually that easy to find the points, i have seen a j1 points on the pcb of a dvd player before, but finding the points and soldering them isnt the hard part, the hard part is trying to reprogram the phone using that interface as motorola may have found a way to block or restrict the use of the jtag, im more hardware than software so i can find and solder the points but after that i have no idea what to do.

edit:
    i forgot to mention that motorola CAN burn a fuse to prvent the reading of the firmware through jtag, if they did do this then it will be impossible to read the firmware, actually similar to the way microsoft burns whats called E-fuses to prevent the downgrading of the dashboard/kernel

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links