android trickery exploit for root

This is a discussion on android trickery exploit for root within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; Originally Posted by weasel5i2 *EDIT* doesn't seem that they compiled/linked properly - I try running them on the handset and it says "not found". Trying ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: android trickery exploit for root

Quote Originally Posted by weasel5i2 View Post

*EDIT* doesn't seem that they compiled/linked properly - I try running them on the handset and it says "not found". Trying to recompile them..

--W5i2
    I got the same thing.

I don't think that will work...

I believe that when they said to try other subsystems, they meant look for other exploits in the other subsystems- not try the same one.

The firmware subsystem trick relies on a specific function of firmware loading, which isn't present in the other subsystems. Funny enough, the trick does still exist on the backflip- it doesn't work simply because the /etc/firmware directory doesn't exist. If we could find some way to create it...

In other news, if it runs on your netbook, then your netbook must be ARM (not unheard of.) Looking at the executables you posted, they're compiled for Linux 2.6.16; and the backflip runs 2.6.27 - run a uname -r on your netbook and see if the numbers match. Also, your binaries are dynamically linked; so if my other theories are correct, then they're linked with glibc, which the backflip lacks (instead of bionic.)

I spent days digging through terrible instructions before I got a working toolchain; and it's still a mess. The simplest way I found was to just download the android sources, compile them (which didn't succeed, but got far enough to raid arm-eabi-gcc with bionic) and then compile everything with agcc (search for it if you don't have it already; it really helps. :D )

I think I've found a possible route to go with this (I believe it's the same exploit as the guy that's disappeared is trying.) It looks like block is the way to go. I'm having mixed results so far though, so it may be a bit before I get it working.

So, before this gets TOO long...

You're not the only one still trying- Don't give up!

glad to see someone is still in this to win it!

Looks like some more progress is being made in that thread again ModMyMobile using the method for rooting the Droid 2. Check it out if interested.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Looks like this works for some. There are some confirmed root cases from this on the Backflip. Head on over and give it a try if interested (I personally wasn't able to get it to work, so it appears to be hit and miss at this point). Backflip Root Source: ModMyMobile
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Didn't work for me either. Worked up to
    C:\android\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell
    $ mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
    mount: Operation not permitted

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links