Backflip root!!

This is a discussion on Backflip root!! within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; ahhh this is annoying me soo much. I've done all of the push directions right, but when I type in adb shell I keep getting ...

Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Backflip root!!

ahhh this is annoying me soo much. I've done all of the push directions right, but when I type in adb shell I keep getting the $. how do I get past this? I've been searching like crazy for help.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMurango View Post
    As far as I could tell, everything worked, and I did have root. When I type su into the terminal, it just puts me to a new line with the $ in front. No #, and no root.
    I should have just asked this on my first reply, but, do you have a Superuser app in the menu?
    It really sounds to me like the ootc.sh step failed for one reason or another, can you try repushing all the files to the sdcard and try doing it again? Also make sure your phone is not connected as an usb drive while running that step (not conected at all is best).
    Report back with any problems you may encounter.

So... Does anyone have any info on enabling installation of non-market apps? And enabling Google Search?

I do have a superuser app. I can open it, and it shows the three categories, but the first two are completely empty even though I have downloaded two or three apps that use root. I have never seen an app ask for root permissions. I have done the ootc step over a few times, and it seems to work, but then I leave the terminal and nothing seems to have changed.

Ok I'm a noob when it comes to rooting.

Could anyone post a "tutorial" for noobs. A step by step guide to rooting your phone, which includes the programs that you need in order to successfully root the phone.
    After rooting my phone, what apps should I have and what at&t crapware I should get rid of.

I know I'm asking a lot, but I would really like to have "full control" over my backflip.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeMurango View Post
    I do have a superuser app. I can open it, and it shows the three categories, but the first two are completely empty even though I have downloaded two or three apps that use root. I have never seen an app ask for root permissions. I have done the ootc step over a few times, and it seems to work, but then I leave the terminal and nothing seems to have changed.
    When you said you lose root after you reboot, what exactly did you mean? Can you use su before you reboot? As for when you run su after the reboot, does it come up with any error or message before the newline?
    Would you mind telling me what you get when you run this command in adb shell?
    Code:
    ls -l /system/xbin/su
    Sorry for asking all these questions that seem to go nowhere, but I've been trying stuff on my phone for over an hour and I just can't seem to find a scenario that matches your situation and that might give me a clue about what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by rht_rv View Post
    just one question: how do i get wifi tether to work, there is no version listed for the Backflip(obviously) and and i downloded all the 1.5 versions and none of them worked. am i missing something?
    Already checked myself cause that was the main reason I wanted root.

iptables are not compiled into the stock kernel and that is needed for the WiFi tethering apps.

Going to have to wait for the custom ROMs or build one yourself if you know what you are doing.

I can actually get Barnacle to show up on my PC but as soon as I connect to it it dies on the phone... Go figure.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Finally. So the first time I got root, my GSM radio stopped working. So I re-flashed the device with the stock 13.37 firmware, and the radio came back. So now I'm rooted with a nandroid backup, made with the alternate bootloader. Nice work guys! I didn't think I'd ever get root on my backflip! Now to get rid of the AT&T crap.

Quote Originally Posted by kbdrox View Post
    Already checked myself cause that was the main reason I wanted root.

iptables are not compiled into the stock kernel and that is needed for the WiFi tethering apps.

Going to have to wait for the custom ROMs or build one yourself if you know what you are doing.

I can actually get Barnacle to show up on my PC but as soon as I connect to it it dies on the phone... Go figure.
    No, you can, you just have to download EasyTether or PDAnet from the market. In order to do that, you have to remove your sim card and connect to the market via wifi.

Trust me, I've tested it with my laptop and it works.

EDIT: Wow, wifi tether. Sorry, misread.

Quote Originally Posted by Emcee View Post
    No, you can, you just have to download EasyTether or PDAnet from the market. In order to do that, you have to remove your sim card and connect to the market via wifi.

Trust me, I've tested it with my laptop and it works.

EDIT: Wow, wifi tether. Sorry, misread.
    Yeah... USB tether is worthless for my needs. But alas! This has encouraged me to to roll up my sleeves and learn how to build my own ROMs.

Page 17 of 37 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links