Backflip root!!

This is a discussion on Backflip root!! within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; Glad it worked for you guys. Unfortunately I'm on of the ones who cannot get it to work....

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Backflip root!!

Glad it worked for you guys. Unfortunately I'm on of the ones who cannot get it to work.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

timing is important. Don't skip any of the steps (including the adb kill-server.) Turn up the media volume on the phone, it beeps everytime adb connects or restarts, which helps alot. It will beep once when it gets root, and again when it returns to normal. do "adb shell" between the two beeps and it should work. It took me a long time to get it though, and I'm not completely sure of the timing.

Alternate instructions

I really wanted to be the one to develop the rooting method, and get the bounty money T__T. Curse my lack of knowledge...
    Meh, I can't possibly say I'm sad now. The rooting method didn't work on my backflip; no way I could live with that. I wanted in on root. I tried something different (based on the same exploit, mind you, I take no credit) and it worked. So maybe it'll work for you fellow backflippers who still can't root.
    It's not polished (it's quite possibly rougher than the original), but hey, rooted backflip...

Download (attached, see next post) for ease of use. You can check with any text editor that there's no malicious code there, just the collection of commands from the original root method. If you want to make changes use unix-style end-of-lines as windows-style will make it fail (and if you didn't understand that last bit, you probably shouldn't be editing it...).
    Put it in the same folder as the rest of the files.

Follow the steps on the original method up to here (I skipped busybox, but you can install it if you want):

- Install adb unless you haven't done so and Motorola drivers unless you haven't done so 
    - Download attached archive
    - Extract to a directory, I used c:\Moto_MSM_Root
    - Make sure you have USB degugging enabled
    - Change connection to PC Mode
    - Open command prompt
    - cd c:\wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is
    - adb devices (to verify the connection)
    - cd c:\Moto_MSM_Root
    - adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
    - adb push su /sdcard/su
    - adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    - [...]
    - adb shell
    - cd data/local/tmp
    - chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    And push, too.

adb push /home/amin/Desktop/ /data/local/tmp/
    Unplug/safety-remove/whatever your cellphone and open Android Terminal Emulator from your phone, if you don't have it, you can get it for free on the market.

Type this on the terminal, with the hardware keyboard of the device:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  97.6 KB

The program will run. A few seconds later you should be back to the $ prompt, don't type anything or close the terminal! Wait until the screen prints
    [+] Forked #### childs.
    Now press enter to get the prompt back and type "exit". The terminal will close.
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  98.0 KB

Open the terminal again. You may or may not get an alert telling you the terminal died unexpectedly. If you do then just dismiss it and reopen it.
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  106.9 KB
    You should now be in a root terminal. Yay!!!
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  110.6 KB
    One more step; you just need to:
    cd /data/local/tmp
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  100.7 KB
    After the script runs (should be only a split second) and you get back to the prompt, type
    You may want to restart the phone (power cycle off/on) to restore the terminal back to normal.
    You're done! Your backflip is rooted!

Really hope this can be useful to someone. At the same time I reiterate I did NOT develop the exploit. All credits and thanks go to Skrilax_CZ and C-Skills. So, thank you guys .

Follow-up post for extra attachments (forgive me, mods...)
    Name:  6.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  101.4 KB
    Attached Files Attached Files

I can confirm this new method works. :D!!!!

My phone's rooted using the M3 method. It seems to be you have to unplug, restart, then plug back in. It's all about timing on the adb kill as well i would suppose.

Rooted! Thanks Amingv! Your method Worked Perfectly! Must have been a timing issue with the adb stuff!

Yeah... I gotta say Amingv's method is by far the easiest

So...what exactly does this mean?

Can you do what you like now? or are there still "buts" to this? for example, with root can we get motoblur-attbloatware-yahoo tossed then? or will that only be for the people who know how to configure everything (drivers, etc) properly?

It just feels unreal that it just...bam...its here. Am I dreaming? xD

It's real. You can get rid of the ATT crapware with this but to get rid of blur I believe will take someone cooking up a custom ROM for us with everything we need for a usable phone. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links