Backflip root!!

This is a discussion on Backflip root!! within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; Have you installed Droid Explorer or the Sideload Wonder Machine or anything? If you keep getting messages that adb is out of date usually that ...

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Backflip root!!

Have you installed Droid Explorer or the Sideload Wonder Machine or anything? If you keep getting messages that adb is out of date usually that means that another program or something has an adb process running.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    Have you installed Droid Explorer or the Sideload Wonder Machine or anything? If you keep getting messages that adb is out of date usually that means that another program or something has an adb process running.
    yes i hzve droid explorer should i uninstall it

You can either use the Windows task manager to kill it and the adb processes it spawns or uninstall it. That should clear up the errors you are getting when trying to use adb.

Talking

msn if this dont work ima jus stop lol...ill wait for htc desire hd or z

You can either use the Windows task manager to kill it and the adb processes it spawns or uninstall it. That should clear up the errors you are getting when trying to use adb.
    I uninstalled droid explorer...in task manager theres an adb process but i believe it has to due with cmd..cause it wont go away... but i keep getting darn $

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\adb\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb devices
    List of devices attached
    TA20301X38 device

C:\adb\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
    1183 KB/s (164788 bytes in 0.136s)

C:\adb\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb push su /sdcard/su
    493 KB/s (26256 bytes in 0.052s)

C:\adb\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/loca
    l/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    188 KB/s (5392 bytes in 0.028s)

C:\adb\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb push ootc.sh data/local/tmp/ootc.sh
    16 KB/s (321 bytes in 0.019s)

C:\adb\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell
    $
    * daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
    * daemon started successfully *
    List of devices attached
    TA20301X38 device

417 KB/s (164788 bytes in 0.385s)

641 KB/s (26256 bytes in 0.040s)

C:\adb\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/loca
    263 KB/s (5392 bytes in 0.020s)

20 KB/s (321 bytes in 0.015s)

C:\adb\android-sdk-windows\tools>adb shell
    $

/facepalm

Really? We've been helping you for how long and how many times have I instructed you to follow all of the directions. All you did was the "setup" steps. Pushing the necessary files over to the phone. The entire point of opening 'adb shell' or running a terminal emulator on the phone is so that you can run the needed files from the phone. It's like installing a fancy new game on your PC and then complaining you can't run it because you didn't execute the .exe file for the game.

You need to go back and look at the instructions again and complete the rest of the steps.

I don't mind trying to assist you but you have to listen and follow directions.

/facepalm

Really? We've been helping you for how long and how many times have I instructed you to follow all of the directions. All you did was the "setup" steps. Pushing the necessary files over to the phone. The entire point of opening 'adb shell' or running a terminal emulator on the phone is so that you can run the needed files from the phone. It's like installing a fancy new game on your PC and then complaining you can't run it because you didn't execute the .exe file for the game.

You need to go back and look at the instructions again and complete the rest of the steps.

I don't mind trying to assist you but you have to listen and follow directions.
    i did..i clearly type everything in the steps...from adb devices to adb shell..wdh am i doing wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by amingv View Post
    I really wanted to be the one to develop the rooting method, and get the bounty money T__T. Curse my lack of knowledge...
    Meh, I can't possibly say I'm sad now. The rooting method didn't work on my backflip; no way I could live with that. I wanted in on root. I tried something different (based on the same exploit, mind you, I take no credit) and it worked. So maybe it'll work for you fellow backflippers who still can't root.
    It's not polished (it's quite possibly rougher than the original), but hey, rooted backflip...

Download ootc.sh (attached, see next post) for ease of use. You can check with any text editor that there's no malicious code there, just the collection of commands from the original root method. If you want to make changes use unix-style end-of-lines as windows-style will make it fail (and if you didn't understand that last bit, you probably shouldn't be editing it...).
    Put it in the same folder as the rest of the files.

Follow the steps on the original method up to here (I skipped busybox, but you can install it if you want):

Code:
    Setup:
    - Install adb unless you haven't done so and Motorola drivers unless you haven't done so 
    - Download attached archive
    - Extract to a directory, I used c:\Moto_MSM_Root
    - Make sure you have USB degugging enabled
    - Change connection to PC Mode

Process:
    - Open command prompt
    - cd c:\wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is
    - adb devices (to verify the connection)
    - cd c:\Moto_MSM_Root
    - adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk
    - adb push su /sdcard/su
    - adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    - [...]
    - adb shell
    - cd data/local/tmp
    - chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    And push ootc.sh, too.

Code:
    adb push /home/amin/Desktop/ootc.sh /data/local/tmp/ootc.sh
    Unplug/safety-remove/whatever your cellphone and open Android Terminal Emulator from your phone, if you don't have it, you can get it for free on the market.

Type this on the terminal, with the hardware keyboard of the device:

Code:
    /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    Attachment 218

The program will run. A few seconds later you should be back to the $ prompt, don't type anything or close the terminal! Wait until the screen prints
    Code:
    [+] Forked #### childs.
    Now press enter to get the prompt back and type "exit". The terminal will close.
    Attachment 219

Open the terminal again. You may or may not get an alert telling you the terminal died unexpectedly. If you do then just dismiss it and reopen it.
    Attachment 220
    You should now be in a root terminal. Yay!!!
    Attachment 221
    One more step; you just need to:
    Code:
    cd /data/local/tmp
    sh ootc.sh
    Attachment 222
    After the script runs (should be only a split second) and you get back to the prompt, type
    Code:
    exit
    You may want to restart the phone (power cycle off/on) to restore the terminal back to normal.
    You're done! Your backflip is rooted!

Really hope this can be useful to someone. At the same time I reiterate I did NOT develop the exploit. All credits and thanks go to Skrilax_CZ and C-Skills. So, thank you guys .
    I'm presuming that you are following these steps, since you pushed ootc.sh over. Fine. If you look, you don't even need to use 'adb shell' for this. Now that you have pushed all of the files over, open the Market app and install Terminal Emulator. Then proceed to do the steps I bolded for you.

I'm presuming that you are following these steps, since you pushed ootc.sh over. Fine. If you look, you don't even need to use 'adb shell' for this. Now that you have pushed all of the files over, open the Market app and install Terminal Emulator. Then proceed to do the steps I bolded for you.
    ok i did all that before...without running adb shell...from adb devices..too pushing ootc.sh....when i go into the phones terminal emulator i type... /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    but it says permission denied !

Quote Originally Posted by youngv408 View Post
    ok i did all that before...without running adb shell...from adb devices..too pushing ootc.sh....when i go into the phones terminal emulator i type... /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
    but it says permission denied !
    HERES MY LAST CMD STUFF

List of devices attached
    TA20301X38 device

1308 KB/s (164788 bytes in 0.123s)

657 KB/s (26256 bytes in 0.039s)

250 KB/s (5392 bytes in 0.021s)

1 KB/s (321 bytes in 0.237s)

C:\adb\android-sdk-windows\tools>

Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links