Removing Crapware

This is a discussion on Removing Crapware within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; Hey all, during the removal of some of the AT&T apps I seem to have somehow damaged my market app. I try to select apps ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Removing Crapware

Hey all, during the removal of some of the AT&T apps I seem to have somehow damaged my market app. I try to select apps and when the downloads initiate nothing happens, the progress bars don't move and it just say "Starting Downloads". Does anyone know how this could have happened I did not remove any of the blur apps just most of the bloatware.

anyone know if you can replace the yahoo search with google search this way?

Quote Originally Posted by mojohn View Post
    Codemonkey, I can't get "adb remount" (without quotes) to work. Here's what I did.

1. From the command prompt in the folder where the SDK is located, I entered adb kill-server
    2. After that instruction, I entered adb devices and my Backflip was "found"
    3. Next, I entered adb shell and ended up with a "$" prompt.
    4. I entered su
    5. I entered adb remount
    6. Received Permission denied

I'm obviously missing one or more steps. Any suggestions?

Thanks, mojohn
    mine does the same thing from the computer says permission denied? What am i missing there? If i do su from terminal emulator it goes from $ to # so did i miss something?

how come nothing shows up in titanium backup under backup/restor?

After removing all of the AT&T crapware my phone is running awesome now. Also the available memory is around 110-120mb vs 20-30mb before getting rooted.

Quote Originally Posted by nappent View Post
    After removing all of the AT&T crapware my phone is running awesome now. Also the available memory is around 110-120mb vs 20-30mb before getting rooted.
    exactly what crapware did you get rid of.... doing a titanium backup now then going to start removing..... thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cheddarbob41 View Post
    mine does the same thing from the computer says permission denied? What am i missing there? If i do su from terminal emulator it goes from $ to # so did i miss something?
    The adb server on the phone always defaults to a normal user, and requires you to "su" to root for things like remount. You need to open a normal adb shell, use su, and then remount to do the same thing as "adb remount".

From your computer:
    adb shell
    su
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system

I've been researching how to get adb to give a root shell by default, and it looks like it's hard coded one way or another ("user" builds prohibit it, "userdebug" builds allow "adb root" first, and "eng' builds always give root.) If someone recompiles it for a root shell, or finds one that will work on the backflip (maybe steal it from a cliq rom?) then you could get "adb remount" to work.

Titanium Backup

I've never gotten Titanium Backup to actually backup the bloatware apps for some reason. It always backs up the third party but stock apps are alway "data only".

So I used root explorer and copied everything in /system/apps to a backup folder on my sd card.

This helped me out of a jam on my Captivate when I removed an app I shouldn't have. Just used root explorer to copy the apk back into the /system/apps folder and I was back in business.

It may have something to do with donating. Not going the Paypal route. We really need a paid version in the market rather than Paypal.

Quote Originally Posted by cheddarbob41 View Post
    Even though you typed in su, your adb may not have root access. Open Command prompt, go to adb shell, type in su and immediately look at your phone. it should prompt you for superuser permission.

Quote Originally Posted by AtariBorn View Post
    I've never gotten Titanium Backup to actually backup the bloatware apps for some reason. It always backs up the third party but stock apps are alway "data only".

So I used root explorer and copied everything in /system/apps to a backup folder on my sd card.

This helped me out of a jam on my Captivate when I removed an app I shouldn't have. Just used root explorer to copy the apk back into the /system/apps folder and I was back in business.

It may have something to do with donating. Not going the Paypal route. We really need a paid version in the market rather than Paypal.
    PM me for Titanium Backup Donate

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links