Should I root my Backflip?

This is a discussion on Should I root my Backflip? within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; Ridiculous question, I know. Why shouldn't I root it? Well, here's the thing: I am a rooting n00b and this is the only phone I've ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I root my Backflip?

Should I root my Backflip?

Ridiculous question, I know. Why shouldn't I root it? Well, here's the thing: I am a rooting n00b and this is the only phone I've got. If I screw something up, that's it. I have zero experience with rooting phones. The extent of my knowledge has been gained from reading this forum and the stuff on Mod My Mobile that you guys have linked to. I would have no qualms about experimenting if I had a backup phone, but since this would be my first time ever trying this kind of stuff and I can't afford another phone, I'm a bit nervous. So I'm looking for a little encouragement (or DIScouragement if you think the situation calls for it).

Is rooting worth it for someone like me? Pretty much all I would do is remove the AT&T apps (and maybe get a custom ROM if someone makes one).

Those of you who are experienced modders/rooters, did you ever regret messing around with your phone (for any reason, not just accidental bricking)?

Also, what are the chances of someone making one of those 1-click style rooting apps? Is it even possible for the Backflip?

I know you're all busily hacking away at your phone, but I appreciate any advice you can offer.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

It really depends on what you want it for. Is removing the AT&T apps really a big deal to you? I'm in a similar situation, although I'm enough of a tinkerer to have confidence that I can find my way out of any mess I get myself into, so I went ahead and rooted my phone, installed the recovery ROM mod, did a backup, and started pulling junk out. I mainly did it because I wanted to say I did, but beyond that, there's not much use in it other than removing the AT&T junk right away. There may be more advantages in the future, like custom ROMs and such. That's what I'm really looking forward to, but rooting my phone right now didn't get me anything really interesting. I'd say it really depends on how confident you are in your ability to use the tools available (like RSD Lite and whatnot) to restore a phone in trouble. It looks like we already have everything we need to flash a base ROM onto the phones to restore them to pre-root status, so that's part of what gave me a little more confidence in rooting my own phone.

Thanks for posting this question. I am in the same situation with rooting, I think I'll wait until the 2.1.

Sent from my MB300 using Tapatalk

I, too, am a rooting n00b. I just want to remove a lot of the AT&T stuff because they are resource hogs and I don't use them...

Sent from my MB300 using Tapatalk

I say go for it. in addition to removing the AT&T stuff, rooting offers ways to improve performance, safety, and customization enhancements. I see one of your concerns is something happening to your phone. If something goes wrong wit the phone AFTER you root, you can almost always recover it and still have all of your daata. If something goes wrong BEFORE you root, you're pretty much screwed, because you don't ave the tools to really back up the phone w/o root access.

If you want to do it, I will personally help any one who wants to do it.

Yep. Totally want to do it lol. Will mess with it tomorrow, bedtime now

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    I did it mainly to get rid of all those AT&T apps that auto-start on boot-up, and restart after I kill them repeatedly. That really irritated me. Now they're gone, and overall it just feels more responsive. I can move in and out of apps, multi-task, and other stuff without anywhere NEAR as much stuttering. I'd say if you know you can do it, do it. You won't regret it. Just make sure to follow the instructions to the button, and nandroid is your friend!

You can't nandroid until you root. But he's right. It's more responsive w/o the AT&T apps. Not to mention overclocking ads even more performance.

Just got done rooting and now I was able to uninstall the AT&T stuff. Woohoo! I used this method:
    http://www.attdroids.com/forum/motor...ip-root-2.html
    Post #13

So if we root our backflips, when the official 2.1 update comes out, are we able to get it without reverting to a non-rooted state and would we lose our root access?

If I were to wait untilt he official 2.1 wouldn't it be possible now that moto would include patches to prevent rooting through this method again??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links