Restoring Your Backflip Back to OEM (NAND Re-Flash)

This is a discussion on Restoring Your Backflip Back to OEM (NAND Re-Flash) within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; Originally Posted by Dorian Correct. RSDLite expects an SBF package. Unless you're using Linux, you won't be able to compile a new image though. I'm ...

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Restoring Your Backflip Back to OEM (NAND Re-Flash)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Correct. RSDLite expects an SBF package. Unless you're using Linux, you won't be able to compile a new image though.

I'm reading your posts and I'm not exactly sure I get what you're trying to do... normal users, and even power users don't ever need to make SBF images. Normal users just have to install the recovery.img that j_rodd or clockwork puts out, and make a nandroid backup FROM the recovery.
    I think part of it is getting my head around everything. Part of my issue is that "installing nandroid" isn't simply installing an app, it's wiping and replacing part of your phone, which I would really like included in a backup first.

Is it a fair statement that doing (1) a NANDROID recovery and (2) reflash the original (non-nandroid) recovery will do the same thing as applying an SBF?

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
    I think part of it is getting my head around everything. Part of my issue is that "installing nandroid" isn't simply installing an app, it's wiping and replacing part of your phone, which I would really like included in a backup first.

Is it a fair statement that doing (1) a NANDROID recovery and (2) reflash the original (non-nandroid) recovery will do the same thing as applying an SBF?
    Yes, and No. Applying an SBF through RSDLite will completely flash every part of your phone. When RSDLite starts the flash procedure on the phone, it communicates with the bootloader that it's a signed package and it has permissions to do anything the SBF tells RSDLite to do.

Nandroid is a procedure that's included in the custom recovery that lets you make backups of your current system state. Flashing the custom recovery is much preferred over the stock Motorola recovery though, as it gives you a lot more options on what you can do with the phone, like flashing ".zip" packages from the recovery, backup's, and restore's. Applying an SBF will completely wipe your phone, while flashing just the recovery will just flash over Moto's VERY simple recovery.

If you were to use it the process would go something like this...

Stock Moto 2.1 ---> now you've rooted stock 2.1 ---> now you've flashed the custom recovery ---> now that you've rebooted into the custom recovery "adb reboot recovery" you select the option to make a backup of your current system state to be saved to your MicroSD ---> now that the backup has been created and saved you can select "reboot" to reboot back into android and be back to your rooted installation. Since you have a backup of your system avaliable, if you say, delete something you really shouldn't have, you can just restore the backup that you made.

The whole process is something like Windows Restore... where it keeps snapshots of your system state, but the only thing is HERE, you have to make the snapshots yourself, as opposed to Windows making them itself.

Hope that helps to explain some things...

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Yes, and No. Applying an SBF through RSDLite will completely flash every part of your phone. When RSDLite starts the flash procedure on the phone, it communicates with the bootloader that it's a signed package and it has permissions to do anything the SBF tells RSDLite to do.

The whole process is something like Windows Restore... where it keeps snapshots of your system state, but the only thing is HERE, you have to make the snapshots yourself, as opposed to Windows making them itself.

Hope that helps to explain some things...
    Not terribly really, but I'm starting to think that i just need to dive in and see if it doesn't explain itself a bit better as it goes along. It would be nice if these things would have documentation, but I'm starting to realize how much surrounding this phone is "look, I did this, you can too" without any indication of how they did it or what it does.

I know that there are several parts of the phone (recovery, root, system, userdata, radio, cache, bootloader, etc.) and that the SBF is a Motorola-created file that wipes and rebuilds every one of them. I also recognize that NANDROID is a program that sits on a custom recovery partition and does a "backup of your phone". If that backup contains everything in that list above (except for likely recovery, bootloader, and radio), then following it up with a "restore backup of recovery" is likely to be the same as applying an SBF? Does NANDROID do all those pieces?

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by odysseus View Post
    Does NANDROID do all those pieces?
    Nope, Nandroid doesn't mess with the Radio, or Bootloader. <-- Messing with those two with anything but RSDLite is dangerous, and could result in a bricked device. Nandroid handles backup's and restore's of User and System data only.

Hey guys. I am stuck, I am using RSD Lite 4.8, I have gone through all the steps, ,y phone is blue screen, the driver downloaded but when I open RSD it does not recognize my phone and the start button is greyed out. I have jrodds custom recovery image. Normally I do have the sbf file selected even though it isnt in this pic but this is what I am seeing otherwise.

I'm not good with pics, I'm not sure if that worked. You should atleast be able to right click it and open in a new window to see it.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by zerzat View Post
    Hey guys. I am stuck, I am using RSD Lite 4.8, I have gone through all the steps, ,y phone is blue screen, the driver downloaded but when I open RSD it does not recognize my phone and the start button is greyed out. I have jrodds custom recovery image. Normally I do have the sbf file selected even though it isnt in this pic but this is what I am seeing otherwise.
    If this is a snapshot of what you're doing, then RSDLite is recognizing your phone. You can see it in the list. What you need to do is click the little box beside Filename that says "..." and find the SBF file you downloaded. Once you select the SBF file, you should be able to click the start button.

Be careful! And good luck!

BTW... I'm editing the guide in the OP to reflect the new OEM 2.1 Blur 3.0.1390 SBF. Clean installs of 2.1 are now possible.

The first two times that i downloaded the sbf file the start button was greyed out. I downloaded the sbf file a third time, This time start button was clickable, I clicked it, it acted like it was working and then boom, it failed... http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

it goes a little too fast to read but right before it says it fails, it says something about only 1 image.

The 13.37 sbf is now replaced with the android 2.1 sbf. Is it possible to just wipe it straight to 2.1 if my phone is currently 1.5?

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    The first two times that i downloaded the sbf file the start button was greyed out. I downloaded the sbf file a third time, This time start button was clickable, I clicked it, it acted like it was working and then boom, it failed... Picasa Web Albums - Kody Chappell

it goes a little too fast to read but right before it says it fails, it says something about only 1 image.

The 13.37 sbf is now replaced with the android 2.1 sbf. Is it possible to just wipe it straight to 2.1 if my phone is currently 1.5?
    Yes! You can go straight from 1.5 to 2.1. Also, RSDLite 4.5.7 is the one that I linked because it's been the most fail-proof version so far. Try uninstalling 4.8 and installing the one I have in the OP.

Ok to recap, I am running my rooted 13.37 backflip with jr0dd recovery image. I am using RSD Lite 4.5.7, I get the blue boot up screen open up RSD lite select the new 2.1 sbf and when i click start it fails. Does it matter that when I open RSD lite that most fields are N/A except bootloader version and phone type?

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Ok to recap, I am running my rooted 13.37 backflip with jr0dd recovery image. I am using RSD Lite 4.5.7, I get the blue boot up screen open up RSD lite select the new 2.1 sbf and when i click start it fails. Does it matter that when I open RSD lite that most fields are N/A except bootloader version and phone type?
    If you're in the blue bootloader like you say, then yes, the mostly N/A is normal. If you're following the instructions laid out in the OP, then I'm really not sure what exactly is going on. Try temporarily disabling your antivirus software or something along those lines..

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links