Restoring Your Backflip Back to OEM (NAND Re-Flash)

This is a discussion on Restoring Your Backflip Back to OEM (NAND Re-Flash) within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; DO NOT revert back to 1.5 for whatever reason, after installing and flashing the updated 2.1. Doing so could result in a nice little paper-weight. ...

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Restoring Your Backflip Back to OEM (NAND Re-Flash)

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT

Restoring Your Backflip Back to OEM (NAND Re-Flash)

DO NOT revert back to 1.5 for whatever reason, after installing and flashing the updated 2.1. Doing so could result in a nice little paper-weight.

So some people, me included, had some issues with the first time through the rooting process. Some, like me, have had radio issues come up. Some have said they deleted one too many of the stock Moto apps, or have removed parts of Blur that now makes the device unusable... So here are the instructions on how to go back to stock, or just like you first took it out of the box.

**Please note (!) this will delete all user data stored on the internal NAND memory, but will leave your SD untouched. So whatever you feel you might need to back up, do it if you can before performing this.
    Also, neither me nor the attdroid forums can be held responsible for any loss of personal data, or if your cat decides to chew on your USB cable while flashing.

**Some people are having issues with RSD Lite, in which case, look HERE to find other versions. 4.5.7 is the minimum version that's safe to use though. Also, the 3.0.1390 restore image that is linked below is for ATT branded backflips only, and don't flash anything below whatever version you're currently running as installing an older version will cause several bootup issues and some other problems. For other variations on the MB300/Motus please look in THIS thread at ModMyMobile to download the appropriate carrier firmware for your device.

1. Install your USB Drivers (if you haven't already)
    2. Install RSD Lite
    3. Turn off your backflip
    4. Plug the USB cable into the phone and computer
    5. Open the keyboard and press J+D+Power simultaneously and let up when you see the blue recovery screen with the black moto batwings. In the bottom left corner of the screen it will say in white letters "USB init mode"
    6. Now when the phone boots to the recovery screen, Windows will begin installing a driver for the MSM720x flash recovery mode.
    7. After the driver has successfully installed, open RSD Lite
    8. Upon opening RSD Lite, you should notice ONE connected device in the table below. If not, post what you did exactly and we can help
    9. Now that the device is showing in RSD Lite, click the "..." browse button to point to the Android 2.1 Blur 3.0.1390 image you downloaded earlier
    10. Once that's selected, press start to start flashing your phone.... DO NOT UNPLUG UNTIL IT'S FINISHED.
    11. Once finished, it will reboot itself and you should be presented with the Android Setup after a minute or two.

Now, you've wiped the slate clean. Now you can try to root a basically untouched device.

2. # ADS
    Ads
    Google Advertisement
    Android.net is the premier Android Forum on the internet.

Awesome. Great job!!

I keep getting an error. RSD says that it is unable to retrieve initialization values from INI file.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    So long as they are on a carrier for which the .sbf has been captured. There is a user on M3 who bricked their phone on Telus which does not have the .sbf captured so this would not work in that case.
    Dorian..

This was a post by jmgib. So the sbf files are carrier specific and the link you provided is good for all AT&T customers?

Thanks.

Yes, the file he linked is the 13.37 version that everyone (ATT Backflip anyway) should be running. You can view the different .sbf files which have been captured at http://modmymobile.com/forums/406-mo...perthread.html. Be sure that you do not download and try to flash an earlier version of the firmware than what is currently on your phone (meaning if you have 13.37 you cannot flash 13.35 or stock 12.1199). This will cause problems when you try to boot your phone.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    Yes, the file he linked is the 13.37 version that everyone (ATT Backflip anyway) should be running. You can view the different .sbf files which have been captured at BACKFLIP & MOTUS firmwares Superthread. Be sure that you do not download and try to flash an earlier version of the firmware than what is currently on your phone (meaning if you have 13.37 you cannot flash 13.35 or stock 12.1199). This will cause problems when you try to boot your phone.
    Thank you.

I am trying this restore process. I have the needed files, I reboot the phone into USB Init mode, but RSD still says No device found. I tried a couple times and am getting the same result...

I uninstalled the Flash Driver and tried again. I even tried uninstalling RSD and reinstalled. No such luck...

I will try again when I get home (maybe something on my work PC blocking it)

UPDATE:
    I ended up downloading and installing RSD 2.7. Now my device is recognized, but getting the same as George: "unable to retrieve initialization values from INI file"

FINAL UPDATE: I ended up having to use RSD 4.5.7 after trying many versions. My phone finally was successfully restored to factory specification!! WOOHOO!!!

Using broggyr's tip, I was also able to flash!

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by broggyr View Post
    UPDATE:
    I ended up downloading and installing RSD 2.7. Now my device is recognized, but getting the same as George: "unable to retrieve initialization values from INI file"
    Was it 2.7 or 4.7 you installed the first time? I'm trying to narrow down some some issues with RSD Lite... are you on Windows 7?

Dorian..

Do you leave the sdcard in place on the phone when you flash? Will the flash have any need for the sdcard to be in place or is everything written on the internal memory?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Ads