[MOD] Better BusyBox + BASH + Nano

This is a discussion on [MOD] Better BusyBox + BASH + Nano within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; NOTE: This is still experimental, and may cause problems with your handset. It will not provide any end-user UI benefits, it is intended for those ...

Thread: [MOD] Better BusyBox + BASH + Nano

[MOD] Better BusyBox + BASH + Nano

NOTE: This is still experimental, and may cause problems with your handset. It will not provide any end-user UI benefits, it is intended for those who wish to hack around in the shell. If you b0rked your handset installing this update, I will be posting a "fix-it-back-to-stock" update shortly.

Here's an update.zip containing a busybox with 302 (!!!) apps, nano, and a full-featured Bourne Again shell. It replaces the stock /system/bin/sh with a symlink to bash. It also preserves a backup copy, called sh.bak.

Thanks goes to dsixda's Kitchen, which is where I got these from.

Instructions: **requires j_r0dd's recovery**

1. Copy bbnb-update-signed.zip to SD card.
    2. Reboot into recovery.
    3. Flash from SD card.

NOTE: Do not be alarmed when it says "Deleting files.." for a long time. It is NOT deleting your OS or doing anything malicious. It is simply deleting all of the symlinks to the stock busybox so it can re-link them to the new one. There are a LOT of them, so it will sit there for a while and show a lot of "Deleting files.." - again, don't be alarmed!

This does not appear to break anything, at least not on my phone. Please let me know if it breaks anything on yours!

DOWNLOAD: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QAT059R0 2.75Mb

MIRROR: http://weasel.net/android/bbnb-update-signed.zip 2.75Mb

I also posted it over at MMM, here's the link: [MOD] Better BusyBox + BASH + Nano

--W5i2

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

well it flashed for me but now the file explorer dosen't show any files... but otherwise the phone is completely useable...

edit. nevermind just had to uninstall reinstall super manager

edit2. when i granted su permissions to supermanager the files dissapeared again

Well, the installer worked great, but it borked my busybox permissions (---sr---wt : does busybox really need universal suid root, and what does the t mean anyways?) so nothing worked afterwards. Lucky for me, I had another copy of bb in a nonstandard location to recover.

Maybe it's just me, but I recommend everyone else take similar precautions before they try it...

Can anyone else confirm this problem?

EDIT: Looks like su would've been enough to fix it too...

I hadn't had any problems in installing this mod, don't see anything that really changed other than the sh in terminal.

*edit
    Is there a way to get rid of it? The command reboot recovery doesn't want to work and I like to back up my phone and recover it if I need too

Sent from my MB300 using Tapatalk

No easy way to remove it, except for maybe editing the script in the update.zip to link back to toolbox (could be done easily with sed if that's your thing, or just find & replace in a text editor if you have the time.)

It seems the reboot command in the busybox included doesn't work on the backflip. There's probably some simple fix to it, but the quick way is to relink /system/bin/reboot back to toolbox and let it handle it.

su
    mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock1 /system
    rm /system/bin/reboot
    ln -s /system/bin/toolbox /system/bin/reboot

Or, if you just want to reboot NOW; you can use "toolbox reboot recovery", or hold down the camera button while you turn on the phone to go straight to recovery.

For a while after installing this, my recovery would go back to the stock one(?!?!), and I was unable to get to the j_r0dd one I installed. This doesn't even make sense to me. Has anyone else had this happen, or have an explanation how?

EDIT: Don't forget to fix your permissions! (chown root:root /system/bin/reboot -and then- chmod 755 /system/bin/reboot)

If you have a nandroid backup file from before you flashed, you can just restore your phone from that.
    Credit goes to ee0r.com for my avatar.

I'll reflash my phone to stock and create an update.zip based on that, to restore any handsets b0rked by my previous update. Also, I could've sworn I set it to NOT replace the toolbox reboot with the busybox one, because I ran into that same exact problem myself.

Another thing I noticed is that certain UI functions will not work properly if the stock /system/bin/sh is replaced. I want to create a wrapper to log all the command-line args passed to sh and see what's going on behind the scenes (like when establishing a 3G data connection, allocating a wifi DHCP address, etc..)

I apologise to anyone whose handset my update b0rked, I will mark it as "still experimental." and also mention that it really only benefits the tinkerers and not the end-users.

--W5i2

Also, this is confirmed to work perfectly on a friend of mine's r00ted Aria.

--W5i2

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links