Backflip Microphone Volume Gain

This is a discussion on Backflip Microphone Volume Gain within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; Hello All, I just purchased a backflip and completed the rooting and unlocking. I'm using it on Tmobile network and decpite mixed feelings about this ...

Thread: Backflip Microphone Volume Gain

Exclamation Backflip Microphone Volume Gain

Hello All,
    I just purchased a backflip and completed the rooting and unlocking. I'm using it on Tmobile network and decpite mixed feelings about this phone I'm getting to like it, but I have a problem that I can not figure out on my own after hours and hours of searching so I'm hoping I can get some help here.
    The Microphone sensativity/gain is very low when talking to people and they complain that they can't hear me well, but when I turn on the HAC all is fixed and they can hear me with no problem. Down side to turning on the HAC is that some features like voice recorder and mp3 player stops working.
    Is there a hack, app or a solution that I can put in place to change the mic gain or volume ?
    I know there's a volume hack app but according to the website it doesnt work on Motorolas.
    Any Help is appreciated.
    I'm using AT&T US Version: 0.13.37 firmware

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    If you'll look on the top back piece, right above the keyboard you'll see the rear facing mic, and the other is on the bottom of the front glass below the menu button. Just boosting the gain won't work here because there is active noise cancellation going on while you're talking. I think Moto calls it crystaltalk. Personally mine doesn't have any issues, and neither has any of the others I've used. I think it may be your hardware.

When I first got my phone I had some similar issues with people hearing me, it really just boils down to how you hold the phone while talking. The noise cancellation can be a bit too aggressive at times, and that requires you to have to hold it so that the microphone is pretty much directly in front of your mouth. If you have it too far back then it mistakenly thinks that your voice is background noise, and removes it. Just try holding it at different positions until the other party can hear you better, then get in the habit of holding it like that.

Thanks for the reply guys. It very well could be that noise cancellation is dimming the actual voice. Like I said when I have the HAC mode turned on it's clear as it can be which is strange. I had ran in to a few other posts that users couldn't get their voice dialing to cooperate unless they turned on the HAC which confirms that without it sounds are not as vivid.
    I have a feeling that others may have a similar quality loss but don't know it because in the past few years we have adapted to lower sound quality because of introduction of voip and cheaper solutions.

If you get a chance please do this quick test and see if you experience the same:
    1. Go to Settings -> Call Settings -> HAC Mode Settings and check it ON
    2. Call your voicemail or any voicemail and act as if you are recording a new greeting and play it back to yourself, no need to save it
    3. While still connected go in to HAC Mode Settings again and check it OFF
    4. Rerecord the greeting and choose to listen to it again.

Can you tell the difference between sound quality and clarity ?

I tried playing around with my AudioPara4.csv files in /system/etc but not sure if Moto even uses this file for sound gain/volume

Attached is my hardware screenshot and build version of my phone, etc..
    I know droid had some older builds with certain volume issues where they fixed in newer hardware.
    Name:  hardware.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  17.9 KB

Something I noticed today that I thought I share. The front mic is utilized when talking normally and top rear mic is utilized when speaker phone mode is enabled.

Poor Call Volume

I was given this phone... a Motorola Backflip... by a coworker when she switched carriers. The phone worked great for her she never had any complaints. I set it up for my husband to use since he hated his Blackberry. However, there is VERY poor volume during calls. The only thing he utilizes really is the calling and texting features. I've checked to see that the volume settings are high as they will go, yet it's almost impossible to hear when you are on a phone call. PLEASE HELP!

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links