3G and networking questions about Droid 2.1

This is a discussion on 3G and networking questions about Droid 2.1 within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; What would happen if you used a... lets say T-mobile unlocked droid phone on the AT&T network? Could they still tell its a data phone? ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3G and networking questions about Droid 2.1

What would happen if you used a... lets say T-mobile unlocked droid phone on the AT&T network? Could they still tell its a data phone? would at&t have that IMEI number on file?

It doesnt matter. You are still using ATT's network. In order to use ATTs network you need to use your registered SIM card, which obviously is registered to your ATT account. If you pull data on any phone on their network, ATT will know. Just buy a data plan already like they tell you you have to.

With car insurance, rent, gas, phone bill, gym, heat electricity ect. People can't afford unnecessary expenses. For a data they will barely or never use if they have Wifi.

If you can't afford a data plan, then don't purchase a smartphone. Go buy yourself an iPod Touch or something and carry it around with you. Or go to another carrier. Or get a prepaid service.

Rules are rules. It's the same argument with people who pirate software or music. Just because you can't afford it, doesn't exempt you from the rules of society.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    If you can't afford a data plan, then don't purchase a smartphone. Go buy yourself an iPod Touch or something and carry it around with you. Or go to another carrier. Or get a prepaid service.

Rules are rules. It's the same argument with people who pirate software or music. Just because you can't afford it, doesn't exempt you from the rules of society.
    But i am not talking about pirating anything?! where the heck do you get that? the act of Pirating is stealing. I do not want to steal I never talked about stealing. I don't plan on stealing. ALL I SAID was I want to use a droid device as a phone that's it. I don't want a data plan I am not going to use. wth are you talking about? your analogy makes no sense. It's like saying a phone software update should be the same as a car recall 2 totally different things bro.
    BTW Didn't know AT&T's nazi rules were the rules of society... LOL
    Maybe this is not the place to talk about what if i unlocked a t-mobile phone and used it on a AT&T network that is no right to bring up pirating BS... If it's not apart of the forums rules I'll gladly stop posting about it.

jmgib what's the point of posting to my thread? If you have nothing useful to add, other then I should not own a smart phone because I don't have a salary like yours or your parents?! honestly there was no reason to post your comment... I don't want an itouch... and i don't want multiple devices... God its seems like you just want to post to post but in the end you just sound like an ass....

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr33nDroid View Post
    But i am not talking about pirating anything?! where the heck do you get that? the act of Pirating is stealing. I do not want to steal I never talked about stealing. I don't plan on stealing. ALL I SAID was I want to use a droid device as a phone that's it. I don't want a data plan I am not going to use. wth are you talking about? your analogy makes no sense. It's like saying a phone software update should be the same as a car recall 2 totally different things bro.
    BTW Didn't know AT&T's nazi rules were the rules of society... LOL
    Maybe this is not the place to talk about what if i unlocked a t-mobile phone and used it on a AT&T network that is no right to bring up pirating BS... If it's not apart of the forums rules I'll gladly stop posting about it.

jmgib what's the point of posting to my thread? If you have nothing useful to add, other then I should not own a smart phone because I don't have a salary like yours or your parents?! honestly there was no reason to post your comment... I don't want an itouch... and i don't want multiple devices... God its seems like you just want to post to post but in the end you just sound like an ass....
    No, it's not against the forum rules to ask for a way around the data plans, but it is kinda pointless. AT&T has made it very difficult to get a smart device on their network without a data plan. I have a friend with a BlackBerry Bold with no data plan, but that thing is pointless with no data plan. Android is different, but it does rely A LOT on integrated services that require "always on" connections like EDGE or HSDPA. If you don't have the phone on contract from AT&T and they automatically add the data package to your bill, I'm 99% certain you can call and cancel the package, and get an implicit data ban on that line.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    No, it's not against the forum rules to ask for a way around the data plans, but it is kinda pointless. AT&T has made it very difficult to get a smart device on their network without a data plan. I have a friend with a BlackBerry Bold with no data plan, but that thing is pointless with no data plan. Android is different, but it does rely A LOT on integrated services that require "always on" connections like EDGE or HSDPA. If you don't have the phone on contract from AT&T and they automatically add the data package to your bill, I'm 99% certain you can call and cancel the package, and get an implicit data ban on that line.
    Ok thank you that makes sense to me. Thanks for your help Dorian.

I didn't say that you were pirating anything, merely that those who do use that same argument. That just because they can't afford it, that they should be exempt from the rules.

Go ahead and do whatever you want to do. We've answered your question multiple times, and not just by me. ATT requires you to have a data plan with a smartphone. You can take your chances and try to get around that. You may or may not be successful.

Also note, that if you choose to get a T-Mobile phone you more than likely will be limited to Edge data speeds (which you don't want data anyway you say) so that may or may not be a factor.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Quote Originally Posted by jmgib View Post
    I didn't say that you were pirating anything, merely that those who do use that same argument. That just because they can't afford it, that they should be exempt from the rules.

Go ahead and do whatever you want to do. We've answered your question multiple times, and not just by me. ATT requires you to have a data plan with a smartphone. You can take your chances and try to get around that. You may or may not be successful.

Also note, that if you choose to get a T-Mobile phone you more than likely will be limited to Edge data speeds (which you don't want data anyway you say) so that may or may not be a factor.
    Ok first off, I know your a senior member here and very informed about droid hacking.
    Your answer to my original question was fine and i even said thanks for your help.
    Then I said "What if" and you seemed to get offended and got upset at me, said I don't play by the "rules of society." O.o
    you also told me to get an Itouch, Not really a big help...
    (multiple times makes sense since i asked MULTIPLE questions )
    I still do not see your logic comparing my statement to music privacy (if you pirate music you are using something and not paying for it) vs (not wanting to pay for something you are not going to use). I think it's the fact both parties can't afford or don't want to pay for something is your point?... But i still don't see how it adds up, as I will not be using the service i will be forced to pay for...

But anyway this thread has gone off track and I don't want to argue so lets just say your right and end it.

T-Mobiles 3G does in fact run at a different frequency. You would be stuck on EDGE the whole time.. Wireless wouldnt be a problem I think though..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links