3G and networking questions about Droid 2.1

This is a discussion on 3G and networking questions about Droid 2.1 within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; Originally Posted by Monotremata T-Mobiles 3G does in fact run at a different frequency. You would be stuck on EDGE the whole time.. Wireless wouldnt ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3G and networking questions about Droid 2.1

Quote Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
    T-Mobiles 3G does in fact run at a different frequency. You would be stuck on EDGE the whole time.. Wireless wouldnt be a problem I think though..
    Awesome Kind of what i want you know? I am just wondering if AT&T will know what i am using since its not one of THEIR phones. lol. Last night I ordered another android off ebay for $50 with a cracked glass
    (i can easily replace )
    So might try unlocking that and giving it ago. Thank for you reply Monotremata.
    Fyi my stupid samsung phone right now has WiFi but the phone transmitter needs to be turned on for it to work... So if you don't have a sim card in it no wifi >.<. Stupid i know.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr33nDroid View Post
    I am just wondering if AT&T will know what i am using since its not one of THEIR phones. lol. Last night I ordered another android off ebay for $50 with a cracked glass
    (i can easily replace )
    So might try unlocking that and giving it ago. Thank for you reply Monotremata.
    Fyi my stupid samsung phone right now has WiFi but the phone transmitter needs to be turned on for it to work... So if you don't have a sim card in it no wifi >.<. Stupid i know.
    Oh yes, AT&T will know, but they won't care. They're just happy to get new customers. The iPhone losses it's AT&T exclusivity this December, so they won't have a lock on it anymore. They are trying to attract customers anyway they can right now. They really value the contracted customers, but they'll activate your phone no problem. Matter of fact, I'd even tell them that. Tell them that you have a T-Mobile phone that has been unlocked and you'd like to use it on their network. Tell them that you know their data network uses a different frequency band, so data won't work and that you don't want it. They can either say ok sure, you don't have to have data, or one of 1000 other options..LOL. They really never give the same answer twice. Which Samsung do you have right now? I've never known of a device that requires the baseband cellular to be on for WiFi to be on also?!

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Oh yes, AT&T will know, but they won't care. They're just happy to get new customers. The iPhone losses it's AT&T exclusivity this December, so they won't have a lock on it anymore. They are trying to attract customers anyway they can right now. They really value the contracted customers, but they'll activate your phone no problem. Matter of fact, I'd even tell them that. Tell them that you have a T-Mobile phone that has been unlocked and you'd like to use it on their network. Tell them that you know their data network uses a different frequency band, so data won't work and that you don't want it. They can either say ok sure, you don't have to have data, or one of 1000 other options..LOL. They really never give the same answer twice. Which Samsung do you have right now? I've never known of a device that requires the baseband cellular to be on for WiFi to be on also?!
    I got the Samsung Propel Pro. with WM6.1. The QWERTY keyboard and Wifi was the thing that drew me in.
    Plus I really like samsung products, They seem to last forever. My biggest issue with this phone was AT&T locked it down so you could not download unauthorized software...
    Which sucks for me because I really wanted Emulators on it and other cool Aps. The phone is built really well just the bloatware and the restrictions got me PO'ed.
    I got the phone off ebay broken. (some buttons not responding)Took it apart cleaned the circuit board and data cables and put it together worked fine! . Threw my sim card in it and their was my new phone.
    Weird thing is AT&T has my phone on their website under my account and even shows a picture of it and it IS a data phone but I am not on a data plan... pretty weird huh?
    I went from a propel to Propel Pro.
    I did buy a data phone from them directly before i got my original propel. It was some nokia blackberry clone. I liked it but once they threw that data charge at me I returned it. I also called and yelled at them for the charge since no one in the store told me I NEEDED the data plan.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    I got the Samsung Propel Pro. with WM6.1. The QWERTY keyboard and Wifi was the thing that drew me in.
    Plus I really like samsung products, They seem to last forever. My biggest issue with this phone was AT&T locked it down so you could not download unauthorized software...
    Which sucks for me because I really wanted Emulators on it and other cool Aps. The phone is built really well just the bloatware and the restrictions got me PO'ed.
    I got the phone off ebay broken. (some buttons not responding)Took it apart cleaned the circuit board and data cables and put it together worked fine! . Threw my sim card in it and their was my new phone.
    Weird thing is AT&T has my phone on their website under my account and even shows a picture of it and it IS a data phone but I am not on a data plan... pretty weird huh?
    I went from a propel to Propel Pro.
    I did buy a data phone from them directly before i got my original propel. It was some nokia blackberry clone. I liked it but once they threw that data charge at me I returned it. I also called and yelled at them for the charge since no one in the store told me I NEEDED the data plan.
    You know you can AppUnlock the Propel Pro with this. Just download it and run it on your device to unlock it, then uninstall it because it will drain your battery otherwise. Plus it has to be installed to the SD and ran from the SD card. But see, AT&T does know which phone you use! It does that to me as well, because I change between the Backflip and the Aria pretty frequently, and they always know which phone I'm using when I log into the web services on wireless.att.com.

Yeah its really strange how they can tell right away. Thanks for the unlocking tool will have to check it out. But I think i am going to have a lot more fun with my 2 droid phones coming in the mail :D. The backflip and The HTC G1. I wonder what the HTC is going to show up as in the web services... The HTC has a broken glass but i got the company manual so i will order the digitizer glass for it once I root it. Can't beat ebay deals HTC was only 40$ with free shipping and the digitizer is like $25.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Yeah its really strange how they can tell right away. Thanks for the unlocking tool will have to check it out. But I think i am going to have a lot more fun with my 2 droid phones coming in the mail :D. The backflip and The HTC G1. I wonder what the HTC is going to show up as in the web services... The HTC has a broken glass but i got the company manual so i will order the digitizer glass for it once I root it. Can't beat ebay deals HTC was only 40$ with free shipping and the digitizer is like $25.
    I had the issue once of the description of the phone being right, but the picture was the last phone I used that was AT&T. It was with an O2 XDA Stellar phone which is basically just an HTC Tilt/Kaiser/TyTnII.

Back in July I think whenever that last update for the Backflip firmware came out... My fiance took my charger on accident with her to Georgia so after the first day of her being gone, my poor Backflip was dead (and I missed the stupid update haha) and I had to throw my SIM card back into my old Blackberry Curve.

Had to log in to ATT to pay the bill that week too and noticed that the picture went from the Backflip back to my Blackberry.. So somewhere in there they were pulling the IMEI or maybe a MAC address and identifying the phone when it connected to the network.. Of course after going to the Backflip, I could no longer use data on my Blackberry since I no longer had the specific BB data plan!

Quote Originally Posted by Monotremata View Post
    Back in July I think whenever that last update for the Backflip firmware came out... My fiance took my charger on accident with her to Georgia so after the first day of her being gone, my poor Backflip was dead (and I missed the stupid update haha) and I had to throw my SIM card back into my old Blackberry Curve.

Had to log in to ATT to pay the bill that week too and noticed that the picture went from the Backflip back to my Blackberry.. So somewhere in there they were pulling the IMEI or maybe a MAC address and identifying the phone when it connected to the network.. Of course after going to the Backflip, I could no longer use data on my Blackberry since I no longer had the specific BB data plan!
    The blackberry and the backflip are 2 different data plans? i wonder why that is?... Is one data phone different from another?

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    The blackberry and the backflip are 2 different data plans? i wonder why that is?... Is one data phone different from another?
    Blackberry has it's own plan because it has to have "Blackberry Enterprise Server" (or more commonly termed "BES") involvement on AT&T's end for all of the messaging and service books to be pushed to each registered Blackberry owner on their network.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
    Blackberry has it's own plan because it has to have "Blackberry Enterprise Server" (or more commonly termed "BES") involvement on AT&T's end for all of the messaging and service books to be pushed to each registered Blackberry owner on their network.
    Yuck, sounds like a waste of money! what's the point of BES? I mean what makes their BB messaging different then normal SMS messaging? I don't understand service books... you need to activate the software on your bb through it? Arg... is that like a security thing?.. Just sounds like they are trying to get money.. glad I didn't try to go BB

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links