3G and networking questions about Droid 2.1

This is a discussion on 3G and networking questions about Droid 2.1 within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; I just ordered my Droid Backflip off ebay this week once i get it I want to root it and install the 2.1 OS firmware... ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 3G and networking questions about Droid 2.1

Question 3G and networking questions about Droid 2.1

I just ordered my Droid Backflip off ebay this week once i get it I want to root it and install the 2.1 OS firmware... (I HATE ATT BLOTEWARE AND RESTRICTIONS SO MUCH)... Anyway my question is this. I am on a family plan. I do not have a data plan. Can I disable 3G so I can use it for calls and when i want to download aps and such, I can just use the WIFI? Also with the hotspot feature will it be able to work without 3G and with just edge?

another weird thing is that I have unlimited texting, AIM, MSN and YAHOO are included and with the plan. When i go to sign on one of these screen names my 3G icons appears on my current phone... but i don't get charged for using the data O.o. Will I be unable to use these programs if i disable the 3G on this phone? I did disable 3G on my current but I couldn't sign on to any SNs or down load Picture Texts , my battery life was awesome though. My current phone is a Samsung Propel Pro MS moble 6.0.

I know these are kind of weird questions but I am new to this whole scene really excited though.

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Well, if you don't have a data PLAN, you will still be able to use it for the most part. The problem is that, AT&T will find out after their system picks it up and they will start charging you for data.

Sorry about my grammar I fix'ed the above post... Hopefully more readable now. If I disable 3G what will there systems be picking up? That i am using a data phone?

Yea, because you're still going through at&t's servers and stuff. I tried doing it.

So your basically saying in order to use the phone as a phone i will need to pay extra for a data plan i don't want?

If you purchase the phone directly from ATT they will force you to choose a dataplan at the time of purchase. If you purchase the phone from a 3rd party such as eBay, it is possible, but not guaranteed, that once you connect to ATTs network they will detect the phone and proactively add a dataplan to your service.

You can disable the data on the phone and only use Wifi but you are still connected to ATTs cellular network and they can still detect the phone. You can try to get around it, but you need to account for the fact that you may be forced to take a data plan.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

I understand that thanks for the fast reply . My phone now is a Data phone thought so its all very confusing... Anyway you said "I can try to get around it" are you referring to any kind of software/ap to do this?

No, I just meant that you can try purchasing it through 3rd party channels (again, such as eBay) rather than purchasing it directly from ATT or an authorized reseller where you will automatically be forced to take a data plan.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Ah I see so basically this?

Well as for my other question can I still use the Edge network for the hot spot feature? Thanks again for the reply.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    HAHAH... EDGE for a hotspot. That's rich. But yes, you can. You'll get a lot of page timeouts, but for the most part it should function. BTW, AT&T identifies what device you are using by your IMEI number. If it's a recently sold phone or a recently created account, they are more likely to automatically add a data plan. I've been with AT&T through 3 name changes, and 10 years next month. They have never tried that little "automatically add" stunt with me, but I would expect they might sooner or later.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links