Any way to Flash ONLY Stock Recovery back? (13.37)

This is a discussion on Any way to Flash ONLY Stock Recovery back? (13.37) within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; I could be way off here on what's possible, but I'm just wondering if there was an easier way to apply the official 2.1 update ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any way to Flash ONLY Stock Recovery back? (13.37)

Any way to Flash ONLY Stock Recovery back? (13.37)

I could be way off here on what's possible, but I'm just wondering if there was an easier way to apply the official 2.1 update after rooting than what I did.

I tried to install the official 2.1 from Moto (I was part of the soak test) last night, but the custom recovery installed after rooting would not run the .zip file of the update. I was thinking I could just re-flash the stock recovery back to the phone as I knew I was going to lose root anyway, but after googling it for an hour or so I could not find just the recovery file.

I eventually just used RSDLite to flash back to stock 13.37 which wiped the phone/settings/apps, which I knew it would. Then I applied the update with no problem. I just had to set up all of my personal info again, which they said the update should have left most if it untouched.

Did I do things the hard way? Was there a way to flash just the stock recovery?

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

You should be able to flash the recovery back if you had a copy of the original, Motorola recovery from before you flashed the custom.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

I figured I could, but that was my problem, I didn't think I'd have to go back to stock recovery so I didn't extract it and back it up before rooting/flashing. I couldn't find one out on the 'net either.

I just used the RSD Light application to flash the Motorola .zip file. It booted up into 2.1, said there was an update, then restarted into the stock recovery and successfully installed the update. I did recover my nandroid update back to 1.5 before flashing, but it was not the stock recovery.

I being one who never deletes anything did two things before I flahed r_r0dd's recovery. With the recovery image in the /system directory, first I copied it to the SD card and I just renamed it to recovery.img.sav. Second I put a copy from the sd card on my computer to keep a safe copy.

The before applying the Moto update I pushed the origanl image:

adb shell
    su
    flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img
    Motorola Backflip (MB300) 2.1 Motorola "Soak"

@ oarsof6
    I didn't even think of trying that. Would have been interesting to know if that would have worked for me. I also did a NAND restore back to before I had done alot of 'playing' with root access, but I didn't try using RSDLite to update.

@ RonV
    That's exactly what I wish I had done. Before flashing back to stock 1.5 13.37 I searched everywhere to see if anyone posted that stock recovery file, but couldn't find it, so I put stock back on and then updated. I usually do back-ups of everything, every step as well, but it not being in the rooting walk-throughs I didn't think to this time. Good advice for next time, though.

You can also just re-sign the update with the google test keys, and j_r0dd's recovery will install it no problem. This site outlines the basic procedure:
    RobMcGhee.com - Creating an Android Update.zip Package

I've uploaded a copy of the update that I re-signed (and added root/removed bloatware) in another thread; although I did all that before I realized preclair is now based on the 1390 update, so anyone still looking to update is probably better off just installing preclair now, because it looks pretty good.

Also, while RonV is correct about the recovery image being located in /system in 1.5 roms, it seems to be missing in the new 2.1 rom; so you might want to hold onto that file, JIC. You can always just extract it from an older update or nand backup though.

Would anyone that did keep a copy of the stock recovery be able and willing to upload it or send it to me? I'm only assuming the file would be universal for at least all AT&T BFs?

I'm going to try to extract one from the old 13.37 file, but I'm going to have to learn how to do that first.

Thanks!

anyone have steps for this that they could outline.... I have the same issues, Note that RSD lite doesn't work for me, when gets to flashing it fails, and drops the connection to the phone

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by bjrain View Post
    anyone have steps for this that they could outline.... I have the same issues, Note that RSD lite doesn't work for me, when gets to flashing it fails, and drops the connection to the phone
    Can you elaborate a little on that? Anything specific? What firmware are you coming from, and which are you going to?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links