Wireless Tether for root users, barnacle, non market apps

This is a discussion on Wireless Tether for root users, barnacle, non market apps within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; Hi. Im rooted after the official 2.1 upgrade from motorola. ive removed the att bloatware, and now i was wondering if theres a way to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wireless Tether for root users, barnacle, non market apps

Exclamation Wireless Tether for root users, barnacle, non market apps

Hi.
    Im rooted after the official 2.1 upgrade from motorola. ive removed the att bloatware, and now i was wondering if theres a way to get wireless tether for root users app on our phone and also how to enable non market apps.
    any help is greatly apreciated

2. Android.net is the premier Android Forum. Registered users do not see these ads. .

Right now, it looks like everyone's still using barnacle. It works on the backflip on all software versions, as long as you use the "skip wpa_supplicant" option in the settings.

There's also another tutorial on enabling non-market apps on modmymobile, here:
    ModMyMobile Forums - View Single Post - [MOD] Install non-market apps

Next time, search; google would have gotten you answers a lot faster.

im having trouble with barnacle. i put on airplane mode, then turn on wifi, then start the download, but nothing happens. anything for that? and sorry but i searched it but i didnt find exactly what i was looking for

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by muleskinner93 View Post
    im having trouble with barnacle. i put on airplane mode, then turn on wifi, then start the download, but nothing happens. anything for that? and sorry but i searched it but i didnt find exactly what i was looking for
    ? I'm confused? You're saying it won't download from the market? Sometimes, for reasons I don't know, it takes forever for items from the market to download. I sometimes had to start a download, go back to the home screen, and literally just let the phone sit in standby for 20-30 mins. When I went back to check it, it was downloaded and installed. I have no idea why it takes so long sometimes, but it does it on my Captivate too, and it has a ROM from a European GT-i9000 installed.

i think it's with the roms.... i didn't have these problems with the stock 2.1, then i put on preclair and i'm getting random amounts of time trying to download from market. makes me think it's not going to, give it a few, then it's on

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by wdeydwondrer View Post
    i think it's with the roms.... i didn't have these problems with the stock 2.1, then i put on preclair and i'm getting random amounts of time trying to download from market. makes me think it's not going to, give it a few, then it's on
    Interesting. It's done that with me since I've been using Android, no matter the ROM or device. Though I did notice it happens more at night, so it maybe some type of demand based queuing system within the market. Like where when someone requests a download, they get in queue and when they get to the front of the line they have a period of time to download and install whatever is requested. That's just a reason I've come up with though. It makes sense to me, so that Google can keep an even level of server demands.

i'm not sure. it's done it to me during the morning, around noon, and in the evening. if i restart the phone i can get 2-3 downloads to happen immediately.

i just take it for what it is though and just wait around. if my app doesn't download in 2-3 minutes i'm not gonna die, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by muleskinner93 View Post
    Are you trying to install barnacle from market, or are you trying to get it running, and it's already installed?

If you're trying to install barnacle, then you shouldn't need to enable airplane mode, or turn on wifi, unless that's just what you normally do (perhaps you don't have a good data plan?) You can also install barnacle manually, either by "side-loading" from your desktop, or else applying the non-market apps patch / installing preclair.
    Here's the apk:
    https://github.com/downloads/szym/ba...arnacle_27.apk

If you already have barnacle installed, and you just can't get it to run right, then the problem is also likely related to enabling airplane mode/turning on wifi. If you enable airplane mode, your 3g connection won't be available for tethering, and if you enable wifi, then the wifi hardware won't be available to barnacle either. I always turn off airplane mode and wifi before starting barnacle. As I mentioned previously, you also need to have "Skip wpa-supplicant" checked under settings, or it definitely won't work.

Also remember that it is an ad-hoc wifi connection, which is different from your usual access point. The computer you are trying to connect from must support ad-hoc wifi connections for barnacle to work. I know Windows 7 supports this automatically, but I've had problems on Mac osx, and I hear Windows XP also has problems (although it should still be possible.)

We need more details...

for some reason, i can't get barnacle in the market, and i can't get it to d/l from appbrain (nor wireless tether for that matter.. odd). i was able to get barnacle from somewhere, but the "skip_wpa.." option is not there. i thought..maybe i just have an old version.. but appbrain sees it as up-to-date.

any ideas?

ATT blocks tethering apps in the Market. If you have rooted your phone, you can install the MarketEnabler app which lets you spoof a T-Mobile phone to access an unrestricted Android Market.
    Avatar courtesy of Elliott C. 'Eeyore' Evans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links