[Kernel MOD] Overclocking + 2.6.29.6 Patch

This is a discussion on [Kernel MOD] Overclocking + 2.6.29.6 Patch within the Motorola Backflip Development & Hacking forums, part of the Motorola Backflip category; Originally Posted by Agentile1990 I am thinking that the problem lay in OC widget. I had read on modmymobile that SetCPU had caused problems when ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Kernel MOD] Overclocking + 2.6.29.6 Patch

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by Agentile1990 View Post
    I am thinking that the problem lay in OC widget. I had read on modmymobile that SetCPU had caused problems when it is set to activate on boot. I went through oc widget and made sure that there was no such setting enabled prior to my reboot. It is also possible that not doing a fresh reboot before fiddling around with the ext partitions could have fouled something up.

So, I went back to recovery, re-flashed the jrodd 1.3.1 image. Back to normal except for some odd reason it is not finding my att microcell (but it is a pos at best). As I wait for my google to sync I am contemplating doing all necessary mods to enable ext 4 and get apps2sd working.
    Overclocking isn't a very exacting science. It all has to do with how much your particular CPU can handle. While someone else maybe able to run 748MHz perfectly stable, you might not. With CPU's (especially mobile ARM based CPU's) you have different versions and batches of silicon. Some CPU's that roll out of the fab will be of higher quality than some, and therefore the higher quality CPU's will be able to overclock more and possibly undervolt more.

When the CPU can't take the overclock, and the overclock is written permanently to the CPUFreq table in Android, you get things like random freezes, boot-loops, and other odd things. I'd say overclock in increments of 100MHz, using SetCPU to "stress test" for at least a couple of minutes at every frequency that you try to see what the limits of your CPU are. 748MHz sounds way high for the type of CPU that's in the Backflip.

Also, with EXT2 or EXT4 you're able to do more IOPS with the NAND, so your CPU is going to be handling information a LOT quicker with those, which means it's probably going to be put under a load a LOT quicker.

Dorian,

Thanks for the info. You are absolutely right about oc not being a science. I work on audio electronics and we see first hand in the shop how different two of the same chips from different batches effect the sound (there is something to be said about a good matched pair). Tomorrow (later today rather) I will take a more scientific approach to test the limits of my BF using the above method.

After thinking about it, I really have no idea what EXT2 or EXT4 are or what they do. Sounds like its going to be a wiki morning with coffee.

Twitter
    @Dorian_At_ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by Agentile1990 View Post
    Dorian,

Thanks for the info. You are absolutely right about oc not being a science. I work on audio electronics and we see first hand in the shop how different two of the same chips from different batches effect the sound (there is something to be said about a good matched pair). Tomorrow (later today rather) I will take a more scientific approach to test the limits of my BF using the above method.

After thinking about it, I really have no idea what EXT2 or EXT4 are or what they do. Sounds like its going to be a wiki morning with coffee.
    NP! EXT2 and EXT4 are just linux filesystems like FAT32 or NTFS are for Windows. The differences between the two are minor, but EXT2 doesn't wear level the NAND like EXT4 does, though EXT2 is faster in Input/Output operations.

Basically here are the pros and cons...

EXT2 is fast.
    EXT4 wear-levels (critical for NAND longevity), still retains most of EXT2's speed, has writeback cache so that battery pulls won't corrupt system data, and some other minor things here and there.

Do I unzip the file onto my sd card? because I'm getting this error:

error opening /sdcard/boot.img: No such file or directory

The easiest way to do this is with jr0dd's recovery. Put the .zip file un-extracted onto the SD card (via adb or USB drive mode, it didn't matter for me). Boot the phone into recovery mode with the camera button. Choose the option that says something to the effect of loading a .zip file off the SD card. Let that finish, then reboot. MT and OC should be good to go. I suggest getting SetCPU to set the OC. The profiles are great because OC'ing does run down the battery pretty fast.

Thanks, but I just unzipped the file onto my sd card and flashed it through command prompt. Works great now =)

Hello,

I'm trying to get this going but I ran into a problem.

C:\tmp>adb remount
    remount failed: Operation not permitted

C:\tmp>adb push boot.img /sdcard
    1729 KB/s (0 bytes in 2682880.001s)

C:\tmp>adb push dhd.ko /system/lib
    failed to copy 'dhd.ko' to '/system/lib/dhd.ko': Read-only file system

I stopped here. My backflip is rooted using the method from the modymobile forums. Not sure if that makes a difference but the root does work. I was able to install SetCPU and it ran as a superuser.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads

http://www.scramblerducati.org/

Sponsored Links